The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I sold the Boss 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I sold the Boss 302!

Yesterday, I took my 15K miles 2013 Boss 302 to the Ford dealer and they gave me $37000 for it.
By selling the Boss I will end up potentially saving $47000 for the next 54 months (monthly payments+insurance)!

I just had a baby girl and accordingly owning the Boss stopped making financial sense anymore. I did not want to use it as daily driver as I live in Detroit metro area so neither the weather nor the other drivers on public roads would make this possible, plus I did not want to keep adding dead mileage on it.

I had pure fun with the Boss, but lesson learned, never buy a $45000 car for the track unless you are REALLY financially comfortable and for a car like the Boss. It was so unique, every time I tracked it I was afraid something would happen to it and wished I had a V6 or something equivalent instead where you can leave it smeared on the wall and go home without it, of course, if you are still alive.

As pointed in my previous threads, heavy and powerful cars are harsh on the consumable items and fluids too, so they are generally not the best option for a cost effective track car.

The Boss 302 is like a good wine, the older it gets, the more valuable she will be! So why not just track the GT instead, with some proper tires and suspension work it can be faster than the Boss without the concerns of trashing an icon and a legend like the Boss 302. IMHO

A side note: regarding Roy O'Brien Ford, I was impressed with Joe's honesty and integrity (used car guy) he told me he will give me 37k now, but he wanted me to sell it privately on craigslist or other places as he was sure I will get more money out of it and even he recommended I sell on Spring time where I can get more out of it. I call this honesty!

The BMO is the best Mustang forum out there! Very elegant and respectable people, very mature, very educational and entertaining! Thank you BMO moderators and members. I will continue to visit the forum.

Finally, I will always be a car guy, will "enjoy" my Honda Fit and my GT6 game meanwhile. I have taken my Fit to the track and let me tell you, this little sucker turns!

I see a used FRS or BRZ in my near future where I am moving to San Diego as it can be both a DD and track car and once I miss the power, an LS engine is in order ;D

Sorry to see that you sold the boss :( but it was the right thing to do, specially with your family expanding now.

Exact same thoughts cross my mind every day, but I've become too attached to this car, and keep on spending and buying more parts, which isn't smart at all!

I'm at a point where I don't know where this car is going for me. I really enjoy tracking it, but that means spending more money to make it safer and faster. It's also not my DD anymore, so I don't drive it as much as I used to. So, I don't know I should keep it and pay it off, or sell it asap to minimize losses.

I'm also certain that I want to go W2W racing in the future, and picking up a prepped car is smarter than prepping the boss... So, I'm lost! ???

As long as you enjoyed it and had fun, that is all that matters.

I parted with a low mileage 2004 Competition Orange Cobra a few years back and at times miss it. Looking back, I would do it again as it was sitting in the garage 99% of the time and the equity/financial relief allowed us to do more as a family.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I've contemplated selling mine as well, but I really do want to hold on to it. I've only put 4700 miles on it the past 15+ months but I still get a kick of out it every time I start it up, so that keeps the financials out of the back of my mind. My son is getting older and I don't want him to miss out on it, especially since all of the other little boys in the neighborhood seem to enjoy it.

I gotta ask, why an LS for the BRZ and not a nice Coyote/RR crate engine? Seems then you can still have the 'heart' of the Boss to remind you of the good times. But completely understandable either way.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Sounds like the right thing to do for your family right now.

If I see you out at the track after you move out west...I'll make sure to give you some point by's even if you do get a BRZ or bring the Fit! ;)

ufnavy06 said:
I've contemplated selling mine as well, but I really do want to hold on to it. I've only put 4700 miles on it the past 15+ months but I still get a kick of out it every time I start it up, so that keeps the financials out of the back of my mind. My son is getting older and I don't want him to miss out on it, especially since all of the other little boys in the neighborhood seem to enjoy it.

I gotta ask, why an LS for the BRZ and not a nice Coyote/RR crate engine? Seems then you can still have the 'heart' of the Boss to remind you of the good times. But completely understandable either way.

IIRC, the LS engines were used a lot since they were lighter and smaller, and simpler to install than the Ford engines of the time. So they seem to have gotten an early foothold in the engine swapping scene and remained the favorite. I have seen one in a Miata and he just needed a new hood to get it to latch down all the way. Insane power for such a small car. The Coyote is quite large up high, unfortunately. Seems like most engine swap kits for Miata, rx7, rx8, 914, etc, are LS powered.

Buying the Boss was an entirely emotional decision, I enjoyed her to the extreme and drove her the way she is supposed to be driven! Selling the Boss was a rational and logical decision, it felt right in my situation.
The good thing is winter is around the corner in Michigan, so it is a herbination time for the Boss, anyway. And as we all know, winter sucks. It is funny I am saying this, because when I had my STI I prayed for snow everyday ;D

Sorry to hear you sold your Boss but there will be other cool cars in your future. Thanks for the nice comments about BMO and please stop in and tell us about your next ride.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
A wise decision, I'm sure.

And don't worry--these cars won't be appreciating anytime in the next decade. If you decide you want a BOSS in your life again I'm sure you'll be able to find a good deal on a used one, way less than a new buy thanks to depreciation.

Well, wasn't mutual. She just wants to be on her own now. I'm still in love with her, but nothing I can do. Kids are in college now. We have been married 30 years, so it can end at any time.

raptor said:
I'm going thru a divorce, sold my 2012 15k miles for $32,000
Sorry to hear that you are going through divorce
ArizonaBOSS said:
A wise decision, I'm sure.

And don't worry--these cars won't be appreciating anytime in the next decade. If you decide you want a BOSS in your life again I'm sure you'll be able to find a good deal on a used one, way less than a new buy thanks to depreciation.
Yes the decision feels right.

Wow wished I had known you were selling sooner. I am traveling to Chicago tuesday to buy a SBY 2013 and I am from Allen Park. I was reallly hopping to find a car local but just not any forsale in Michigan. Originaly i was going to buy one new in 2013 but a long drug out divorce put a end to that dream. But my new wife is great and said if thats what i want to go find it and get it. Any how hope you enjoyed it while you had it.

And as you might expect, seller's remorse is kicking in!

I am thinking why did not I sell the honda Fit and put a set of Blizzaks WS70 or WS80 on my Boss and enjoy it for God sake?!
so what DD the Boss in winter, alot of people would drive their mustangs in winter and as long as you are on snow tires and may be put some weights in the trunk and be careful overall. you are in public roads anyway, why not be careful to start with?

so here is my possible plan:
Go back to the Ford dealer and trade in the fit with the Boss if I am not going to get a financial hit more than what I would've gotten if I sold the Fit to start with and kept the Boss.

I know it sounds crazy, but may be a happier medium than the current situation.
so the payments will go up but not like when I had both of them. All this will be doable if I know I am not getting myself in a big financial loss. if I end up paying tons just to keep the Boss, then forget it about it.

The Boss 3328 is my child, her name is Boss 302 #3328!

sounds crazy? may be...

I think unless you keep her for a looong time, a winter driven Boss will be harder to sell in the long run. And it will add to your stress level having to deal with winter road rash. But on the plus side she will get nice and toasty sooner than the Fit in the winter :) You could always keep the Fit or transfer to the wife and find a cheap Miata for the winter fun and not drive carefully 8).

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel