The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I think my starter is dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was at the race track today and had a lot of problem starting the car.

First session in the morning, car started as usual. It was very cold and slippery so couldn’t puch the car very hard.

Second session, couldn’t start the car. The starter wasn’t even doing the clicking noise like you have a bad battery. Friend come over to try to jump it no luck. Push started car, runs fine. It warmed up so I was able to puch the car more. End of session, stop the car, wait a minute, car started right back up.

Third session car started fine.

4 and 5 session the car wouldn’t start. Add to have some people push start me again. Nothing would happen when I turn the key. I can hear some relay cliking but nothing from the starter.

I had bad battery before and I would get the warning on the dash. None of that happened this time. Car ran great once started.

I think I have a bad starter. It’s the stock one and it’s been 5 years on the track with longtube (Kooks 1-7/8).

Anyone has any other ideas what could be bad before I order a new starter?

PS: The people with 10/10thMotorsport are awesome and always happy to help a racer in distress.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Sounds like a correct diagnosis to me. Heat kills starters and related components or connections.

Did you have any additional insulation to protect it?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup. That was me a few months ago... the selenoid died. Stole one from a F150 and made it for race day. Now it has its own heat blanket! Starter its self was fine.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
If I remember correctly, the solenoid was not replaceable or rebuildable separately?

I do hate how that's a common theme with modern part assemblies. A little plastic piece broke off the parking brake pedal/lever on my Explorer and could only be replaced with the whole assembly. I miss the days when I would/could stop by a pick-a-part and solve these kinds of problems. :rolleyes:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If I remember correctly, the solenoid was not replaceable or rebuildable separately?

I do hate how that's a common theme with modern part assemblies. A little plastic piece broke off the parking brake pedal/lever on my Explorer and could only be replaced with the whole assembly. I miss the days when I would/could stop by a pick-a-part and solve these kinds of problems. :rolleyes:
Definetly replaceable!..... did not look rebuildable though.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
San Diego
Hi Everyone,

I have an undiagnosed problem starting my 50,000 mile 2012 Boss 302. I am dovetailing on this older post yet I believe my problem, although related to starting the car, is not a heat issue specifically related to the starter/solenoid.

For a few weeks, the Boss has intermittent non-starts. Battery checks good, starter checks good yet sometimes the car will not start nor crank. The only thing that happens is a full dash board of typically start-up lights. I have removed the floor mat and replaced the clutch safety switch to no avail. Here are some symptoms I have documented:

• Not heat related: Sometimes the non-start is when the Mustang is fully up to operational heat, sometimes fully cold sitting for a day.
  • Not sequential: Sometimes the non-starts occur immediately after a compression start. Sometimes the car starts immediately after a compression start/shutdown cycle.
  • Somewhat random: The Boss will sometimes have a successfully start dozens of times before a non-start. On other occasions, the inability to start happens a few start attempts in a row.
  • The starter relay in the fuse box will click during the non-start attempts. I have been told/read this is normal but would like to confirm.
  • I do have the Track Key but the problem exists with either key being used to start the car.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you all may offer,

Dennis DiLucente

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel