The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I wrecked my Boss into a tire wall - Someone tell me what happened... - ABS / Braking issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I posted this on the Facebook page, but wanted to get as many opinions as possible... A few ideas I saw.
- Pads too aggressive for the tire ( Was going to slicks later in the day)
- 302S Module not great for 200 TW tire (was going to slicks later that day).
- Sensor was malfunctioning (covered in dust etc) - causing the front left to lock up

Facebook post below:
Crashed the Mustang this weekend @ VIR. - ABS question.

It was cold out, I was running a 200 treadwear (35-40 degrees outside). I had eased into 5 laps and started getting into a groove. Probably 80% of my pace. Coming around turn 10 (blind left), down the hill heading towards left side of track. When I reached the bottom of the hill in preparation for oak tree z I applied full brake while preparing to straighten the car. The car is compressing and traveling in the realm of 105 mph here. Upon hitting the brakes, the pedal goes hard and right front locks while left front continues to brake normal (ABS active). Car pulls hard to left as reach the left side of the track and before I can correct I am in the grass traveling 80-90 mph as little speed was scrubbed in the process of the lockup. It had rained the night prior so the grass was wet. I slid 200 feet or so straight into a tire wall.

Question - this car has the 302S module, I’ve run everything from slicks to 200 treadwear many times on this car with no issues with lockup. Was this an ABS failure (wouldn’t that have failed both left and right?) or could this have been a caliper issue? The suspension looks good nothing failed, brakes feel ok with the short drive back to the paddock. Just looking to determine if my abs module failed / caliper failed... Or is this just something you need to watch out for with a more aggressive ABS system like the 302S?
Thanks in advance... and obligatory pic. Impacted tire wall thank goodness and hans saved the day... always wear a hans. I believe I was traveling around 55 mph at impact... but that is a guesstimate. Gopro was left in the tow rig as was my AIM since this was just a “warmup” session.

Pads - Carbotech XP 24 in the front / Gloc R12 in rear (xp24 were going to be replaced with GLOC R16 at end of weekend)
Tires - 200 TW 275/40/18 - Nexen SUR4g (good tire from my experience)
Stock 4 pot Brembos
Stainless lines (found no leaks)

Bay Area
Man, sorry about your incident. Glad to see you’re OK. Just from reading your scenario you make it seem like a caliper locked, but I’m not sure if that’s the issue if you drove it back and stated brakes felt fine.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel