The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ideas, Experiences and suggestions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Killeen, Texas
I’m brand new to this forum page that I wish I found early. I’m currently living in germnay moving to Texas next month. The car is getting shipped and was wondering what people have done do there S550.
List of things I have already:
Engine: JLT CAI, Flowmaster outlaw Catback and flash tune from Lund racing
Suspension/Chassis: BMR sway bars, endlinks, cradle lockout, irs bracket, k member bracket and fortune auto 500s. Got Steeda bump steer, control arms and vertical link coming next couple weeks.
APR GT 250 Wing
RTR tech 7 with nitto 555 (I’ve been seeing that apex wheels seem to be the biggest thing around here, considering buying some)
Have people worked on more power? Some have tried to convince me to supercharge but I feel like that would lead to issues with trans and engine.040E72B0-1F9B-41BD-8CE0-35945251E5E0.jpeg0CD570FC-FBC8-490A-B764-571B700762C6.jpeg456D7F28-AE11-4C9F-A118-BEE4E010C317.jpeg

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Nice looking ride! There's quite a few S550 build threads if you check out the Members tab at the top. You can definitely find some great information there.

You'll find a few threads around here of guys with superchargers on various generations and they all require the same thing...an endless bucket of money. Not saying don't do it, but it isn't something to just jump into.

Welcome to the forum, our builds are similar with the FA coil overs and steeda stuff, honestly I haven't touched the engine, HP isn't keeping me from going faster around the track, my abilities are..... there is a lot of good information here, enjoy.

I'm a blower fan, but you are correct in your assumption that blowers don't work that great for the track, generally, too much heat.. unless you're Fabman and run E85, but for a street/ track car, it's not that practical, welcome to the site, have fun, good group of people here.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Killeen, Texas
What part of TX are you moving to? Hopefully near COTA :)
I’m actually going to be in Killeen so you’ll see that big APR wing around there. Really want to start racing at COTA. I’ll be waiting for the car to arrive and right when I arrive I’ll be ordering tires and wheels! Got the rebuilt fortune auto struts being installed again as well.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Killeen, Texas
I'm a blower fan, but you are correct in your assumption that blowers don't work that great for the track, generally, too much heat.. unless you're Fabman and run E85, but for a street/ track car, it's not that practical, welcome to the site, have fun, good group of people here.
I had a feeling. I just wanted to try and match the same power towards the newer “tracked” based production cars (ZL1, GT500) so I thought it might be possible to copy.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Killeen, Texas
Welcome to the forum, our builds are similar with the FA coil overs and steeda stuff, honestly I haven't touched the engine, HP isn't keeping me from going faster around the track, my abilities are..... there is a lot of good information here, enjoy.
I haven’t either to be honest and that’s why I thought I’d ask around to see what people have done and recommend. Still got a whole list of things to do before that. Especially since the motor still has warranty for 60,000 miles. Might as well run her

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Killeen, Texas
Nice looking ride! There's quite a few S550 build threads if you check out the Members tab at the top. You can definitely find some great information there.

You'll find a few threads around here of guys with superchargers on various generations and they all require the same thing...an endless bucket of money. Not saying don't do it, but it isn't something to just jump into.
Definitely what I’ve seen so far and it’s coming from drag racing guys. Can’t imagine auto cross/HPDE.

I've autocrossed my Gt500, with the extra front end weight, it doesn't help, but a blower car is doable on an autocross course because it's so short.
Basically, a decent Boss 302 would beat it (my Gt500 on an Auto X course)

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Killeen, Texas
I've autocrossed my Gt500, with the extra front end weight, it doesn't help, but a blower car is doable on an autocross course because it's so short.
Basically, and decent Boss 302 would beat it
Very interesting. Looks like I’ll be focused on everything else and maybe some minor engine work

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Hey, I resemble that remark....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Had prior experience I see?
Yes, against all odds, I had a 700/700 supercharged stroker 3 valve in my track car on e85.
While I don't recommend a PD blower on track, it is absolutely possible despite what some will tell you.
However, the hoops you have to jump through to make it work are extreme and most wont go that far and are therefore rarely successful. Time and money is far better spent of tires, brakes, suspension and seat time.
I've since Coyote swapped it and my consumables will thank me for it.

Check back with me in a few months and see if I still feel this way. lol.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Killeen, Texas
Yes, against all odds, I had a 700/700 supercharged stroker 3 valve in my track car on e85.
While I don't recommend a PD blower on track, it is absolutely possible despite what some will tell you.
However, the hoops you have to jump through to make it work are extreme and most wont go that far and are therefore rarely successful. Time and money is far better spent of tires, brakes, suspension and seat time.

What were the biggest issues you ran into? I’m curious. I’ll probably stay NA until I just feel nothing else I could do to the car.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Killeen, Texas

Jesus I just looked at your set up and you have a SETUP

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
What were the biggest issues you ran into? I’m curious. I’ll probably stay NA until I just feel nothing else I could do to the car.
Tires and brakes. You couldn't keep them on the car.
While it was uber fast in a straight line it really wasn't all that helpful as a whole.
I spent way too much time slowing it down (did I mention it was uber fast in a straight line?) and the compromises I had to make to get the rear end to bite caused the front grip to suffer.
Just way too much motor for the car I had under me.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Jesus I just looked at your set up and you have a SETUP
I've since thrown away a few hundred HP in favor of some suspension and aero upgrades.
I expect the car to be easier to drive, more fun and hopefully faster.
With a front pad and rotor change in the 2600.00 range It will definitely be cheaper.
I am keeping my $3.00/Gallon e85 though. :)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Killeen, Texas
Tires and brakes. You couldn't keep them on the car.
While it was uber fast in a straight line it really wasn't all that helpful as a whole.
I spent way too much time slowing it down (did I mention it was uber fast in a straight line?) and the compromises I had to make to get the rear end to bite caused the front grip to suffer.
Just way too much motor for the car I had under me.
Noted. I guess I’ll just appreciate the NA life as long as I can. I’ll probably focus on the little things

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Noted. I guess I’ll just appreciate the NA life as long as I can. I’ll probably focus on the little things
There are some folks on here with street legal s550's with aero and suspension upgrades going super fast.
(you know who you are) You can do it too.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel