The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ideas for gauge setup...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYLineman

Owner of #2611 CO
I just bought the LS Gauge Pod and a Ford Racing Oil Temp gauge. Curious to know what other people are using other than the setup Ford came up with. Thanks

Oil and water temp and oil pressure would be the most useful IMO.

I installed Speedhut custom gauges. Water temp, Oil press and Oil temp. They are the Revolution series that has the high and low warning light and also, recall of high and low readings. They require a little bit of work to get them to fit in the the Ford gauge pod, but they are cheaper than autometer and seem to work just as good. If you get out to any cruises in the Buffalo area, you might just be able to see them in person as I get up there once in a while. Here is the pic of the gauges installed.

scaled.php

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
Oil and water temp and oil pressure would be the most useful IMO.
+1 unless you throw some boost at it.

I have seen these gauges on car shows all the time. Choose from 7 colors and when not in use they are tinted so they appear blank.
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/tinted-7-color-oil-temperature-gauge.aspx
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/tinted-7-color-water-temperature-gauge.aspx
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/tinted-7-color-100psi-oil-pressure-gauge.aspx

What 5DOT0 said, unless you get multigauges with alarms then you might as well have one pull from the ECU for other things too. IIRC some have integrated shift lights if you are into that kind of thing.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
06mach1 said:
I installed Speedhut custom gauges. Water temp, Oil press and Oil temp. They are the Revolution series that has the high and low warning light and also, recall of high and low readings. They require a little bit of work to get them to fit in the the Ford gauge pod, but they are cheaper than autometer and seem to work just as good.

What was the price for all of the gauges? Did you have buy any extra fittings or accessories? Last I checked LRS has the best price on the 'naked' pod? Is that where you got yours? I really like the looks of this but am having a hard time contemplating drilling holes in the dash if it didn't come that way from the factory like the LS.

I am trying to come up with a way of mounting them on some kind of pedestal or base that the gauges can be attached with industrial grade velcro. This would also hide all the wiring. Taking the dashboard off and then finding a way to securely attach the 'base' underneath and then have it curve around the dash would work. Yeah a lot of work to fabricate something like this, but anything is possible.

Maui
NYLineman said:
Anyone use those AeroForce Interceptor Gauges? Keep leaning towards them for their versatility.

+1 on the aeroforce gauges. I have two gauges in a SOS dual gauge a- pillar pod. Hooks into the OBD-2 port and displays a lot of information. Each gauge can display 2 parameters and you can set it to change parameters ever few seconds....I currently have RPM, A/F ratio, ECT, and oil pressure (had to hook up oil pressure sensor separately) on display...

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
If I remember correctly the second one piggybacks off of the first one.... I only have one but I thought I saw that in the instruction sheet.

ace72ace said:
What was the price for all of the gauges? Did you have buy any extra fittings or accessories? Last I checked LRS has the best price on the 'naked' pod? Is that where you got yours? I really like the looks of this but am having a hard time contemplating drilling holes in the dash if it didn't come that way from the factory like the LS.

I am trying to come up with a way of mounting them on some kind of pedestal or base that the gauges can be attached with industrial grade velcro. This would also hide all the wiring. Taking the dashboard off and then finding a way to securely attach the 'base' underneath and then have it curve around the dash would work. Yeah a lot of work to fabricate something like this, but anything is possible.

Price was under $400 for all three gauges. Good price for ,so far, excellent gauges. The gauges come with senders and some bushings and a neat wiring harness. The problem with these gauges is they do not mount like a regular gauge with studs on the back. Check out there website. I ended up gluing the gauges in the gauge pod, I also had to trim the inner gauge bezel slightly. As far as the pod goes, I bought mine thru Summit as I had Summit bucks to use up. When attaching the pod to the dash, even using velcro, I think you would still have to put a hole in the dash to run the wires.

Maui
PeteInCT said:
If I remember correctly the second one piggybacks off of the first one.... I only have one but I thought I saw that in the instruction sheet.

That's correct. 1 obd2 port supplies power and info to both gauges. Like Pete said one gauge is piggybacked to the other..

TMO Supporting Vendors