The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

If Ford didn't make the Mustang/Shelby/Boss, what would you drive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro said:
1970 Mach 1 428 SCJ Ram Air

I had that exact car. 1970 Mach I, 428SCJ, 4-speed, Drag Pack with 4.30 Detroit, Shaker, wing, and AM radio. Blue w/black interior.

Lots of subtle things like the oil cooler, staggered shocks, and super heavy duty toploader with a bigger input shaft.

It was a total 1/4 mile machine. In fact, it redlined in 4th around 110 which is about what mine would do in the 1/4. It handled like crap, and scared the bejeezus out of me in the rain a couple of times.

The internals of the SCJ were solid, but the blocks were not. The 428 was a 390 block bored to the max, and they cracked easily.

Cool car, but I'd take the Boss or any number of other cars over that.

BTW, I bought the car in 1980 for $1000, and sold it 18 months later with a cracked block for $1100. I thought I made out like a bandit!

mikebxb

2012 BOSS 302 0782 no mods yet
Texas
four-walling said:
This is what I drove before my Boss:
5606-1.jpg
5606LRcorner.jpg

Before the Pantera, a Boxster S and a couple of older 911's.

Sweet Pantera
I'd be interested in hearing of your experiences owning and driving the de tomaso. overheat? cold air? performance on street? reliability? etc etc

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
mikebxb said:
Sweet Pantera
I'd be interested in hearing of your experiences owning and driving the de tomaso. overheat? cold air? performance on street? reliability? etc etc

I was lucky enough to find a 2 owner, never wrecked and rust free car originally sold new in the Los Angeles area. The second owner I purchased it from owned it for 30 years. He bought it from a Paramount Studios executive he said was fed up with the reliabilty of the car. I bought the car in 2008 and kept it about 3 years.

The local San Diego Pantera Club members were instrumental in mentoring my purchase. It is truly amazing how many club members know how to work on the car and do MAJOR repairs.

My car was a sleeper, looked stock, but was heavily massaged. In CA, if a car is older then a 1975, it does not have to be smogged. If you bring a car in from out of state, not sure if the same rules apply. The guy I purchased it from was handy with the tools and got it all sorted out.

That said, after 3 years I was tired of folding myself into it, (it was only about 38" from the floor to the top of the roof), fighting the heavy manual steering and balky shifter. Most of all, ithe car was a rolling death trap. It seemed to have been designed with little regard to safety. The A/C worked beautifully as the condenser was moved to the front of the car. There was not a single electronic "nanny" to be found anywhere on the car. Driving the vehicle was the most visceral experience of any car I have ever driven. The car drew stares from everyone, especially young kids who had no idea what a Pantera was.

Enjoyed it for awhile, got the desire to own one out of my system and don't miss it.

I sold it to a buyer from Holland. The Scandinavians are hot to buy Panteras and most nice cars coming for sale in the United States are exported. That is probably why prices have been going up a lot over the last couple of years.

GB899

NO REGRETS
Nebraska
my Porsche Red 1972 Pantera experience may not be typical... but somewhere in every 50 miles or so something stupid broke...
nothing catastrophic... just silly and left you frustrated... amp meter blew... left me high and dry at a car show until another pantera owner showed me the bypass trick... voltage regulator went on a regular basis... harmonic balancer cut radiator hose clamp because previous owner ran hose on wrong side of shifter linkage... every shift shaved a bit off the clamp...oops.... dumped all the coolant... soiled myself when steam filled the engine bay... thought it was fire... It fell into a loop of afraid to drive it too far away from garage and tools... so after 5 years I traded it off for a tow vehicle...
fantasy vs reality often disappoints

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
GB899 said:
my Porsche Red 1972 Pantera experience may not be typical... but somewhere in every 50 miles or so something stupid broke...
fantasy vs reality often disappoints

...sounds like typical Pantera ownership to me...

TMO Supporting Vendors