The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

If you knew then what you know now...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
While I can appreciate the zen of just having fun with your car, I can't do it. If there isn't timing and scoring, I'm not interested. I've raced since I was a kid in mx. My fun is winning and/or beating cars that you should not beat.

I'm not up for the constant work of real racing anymore but I've found an awesome niche in high speed autox. I won 6 out of 6 in 2020, 4 of 6 in 2019 and 2 in 2018 when I first got serious again. Prior to that I had run a few times in the 3rd-5th range and just kept thinking, "I can beat these guys, they're not that fast".

And this is all with a real street car, full interior, a/c, no cage, no race seat, spring rates are street tolerable and no real aero (but I do have wing envy). While other cars are rolling in on trailers, I drive mine, towing my stupid little tire trailer and kick their ass. Thats my fun.

But if I had to do it all over again, I would do everything different, everything, girlfriends, jobs, race classes, etc. Not because anything is wrong now but just as an experiment to see what would happen.View attachment 63147
Pic from last July. I've added a few more since.
What class are you running in?

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
There are only 3 classes, 4 cyl, 6 cyl and 8 cyl, run what you brung, not many rules. Its kind of like Optima or the SCCA CAM classes. The cars are supposed to street driven and street legal but several are boarderline on that. Over the last couple years, the bar keeps getting raised. For example, I started 5 yrs ago on just decent street tires, not even the best TW200's and could run 3rd-5th. The fast guys then had TW200s, NT01s and 1 car on R7's. But now there are many on A7s. I've been staying ahead but the whole field is getting faster. I like it. Its competitive but everyone is cool and there is no crying because there are no rules and there is no purse, just one plastic trophy to each class winner.

Here's a "race" report from June 2019 that I sent out to guys at work and every car guy I know trying to get a couple of them to come out and really drive their cars. It barely worked, 1 guy showed up twice and then quit. I guess its not for everyone.

(In advance - tldr, went fast and made fun of corvette owners)

I finished 2nd out of 23. I beat my best time by over a second. Normally that is a winning time. But this was the biggest and fastest field to ever show up. There were 2 new C7ā€™s, 3 C6ā€™s, a Boss 302, Stage 3 Roush supercharged and a ZL1 Camaro supercharged, plus 2 Mustang race cars that came in on trailers. One of them finished 3rd, 0.1 sec behind me with his best time ever (he must have been busy working on his car over the winter too).

I lost to a very nicely built GTO. It was fairly stock looking on the outside besides being lowered and dark window tint. But you open the door to a gutted interior and full SCCA autox build. In the end, he got me by 0.3 sec. The second run we both got faster. 3rd run he messes up and ran slower. I thought I had him but went in too deep into the flat end of the track and it didnā€™t stick, so I ended up slower too. 3rd place made the best last run and got within 0.1 of me. It was pretty cool having that much competition.

The 2 C7 guys thought they had everyone covered. They were talking sht about having some suspension package, light wheels, carbon tidbits and on and on. After the first timed run was over, they became much quieter. Plus me and my other Mustang buddy went over and asked them what their times were (we knew their times). They begrudgingly mumbled their times. My buddy (who makes me look like the nice guy), says ā€œhuh, I thought you guys were way faster than thatā€ and we walk away. The faster one ended up 7th.

Anyway, it was a good time with a bunch of good guys playing car games. The next one is July 19th. Come on out and have some car fun. Pass this along to anyone who may be interested.

Last edited:
Good thread.

I probably would spend less time researching available mods online, and more time really paying attention to what actually bothers me or is holding me back when Iā€™m behind the wheel on track. I think you generally make better mods doing it the second way.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
I would have left mine a super fast street/drag/show car and purchased a donor to build as a full race car instead of transforming my show car piece by piece into a track car until it was no longer street legal and eventually became an SCCA legal race car. It would have been cheaper, more satisfying and I'd have a race car with fewer compromises in the final product.

View attachment 63124
Yes. Had I known what the track was all about, I would not have gotten the Premium model. The cushy leather heated/cooled seats are useless on the track and now someone else owns them for a 1/3 of what I paid. Although the Shaker stereo is nice to help power over the exhaust....
Should have bought used, 2 or 3 years old, non-premium.

sfo
The bottom line is, are you having fun?

Rob,

You will get this! When I asked about racing the S550 in SCCA T2 our buddy Joe said, "don't do it Carl." Then he gave me just a few reasons. They did not seem like a big deal. Did I listen to the wise man? Answer....I'm not having fun yet. LOL! I think I like pain? Soon I might need an intervention.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
For those of you who have "gone too far" with a street car, I'd like to posit one more question. Where would you have "stopped" to leave it enjoyable on the street? A cage is an obvious one, as climbing over door bars with a morning coffee is annoying. But short of that, what say you?
Back around 1973, the engine I built up would have had either slightly less aggressive choices in cam and compression, or somewhat more aggressive choices in intake and head work. This was for what was the only car we had at the time, a build prompted as much by its OE timing belt failing as anything (if I have to open the engine up to inspect for deeper damage, I might as well build it up "a bit" on the way out, right?).

The end result really wasn't all that bad - my wife also drove the car that way as well - but I think it taught me the idea that a little moderation in most things was probably a good idea when it came to cars with more than just pretentions of being street-usable.

Norm

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I should have spend more tyme on the track and less tyme reading every post on this forum that lit up the bulb in my head and told me I need this or that mod. No regrets mind you but had I refrained, I could have bought myself that DB-9 or 1969 Boss 302 I so covet.

I would have left my Saleen stock and modified a beater S197 for Track Days. Turns out having a 100 pound, heat producing compressor over your front axle is better for a drift car... LOL.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Campaigning a car in Lemons and Chumpcar with friends changed my perspective a little on tracking a street car I had invested so much into. It's far less stressful when the car truly is a throw-away car. The Lemons car might not be as fun to drive around the track, but if you wreck it, it's much easier to shrug it off and enjoy some beers afterwards - at least given the levels of disposable income I currently have available. :)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
- at least given the levels of disposable income I currently have available. :)
You should come work for me...you'll have even less.

Utah
ChrisM If you are inquiring about my black Saleen Mustang setup it is not that special compared to most TMO track cars. 2006 Saleen 281SC with the Saleen Supershaker hood scoop setup just added this winter for the best "cold air intake possible - ambient air as all air to engine comes solely through the hood scoop. 99% of people do not know the John Player Special livery (always black car, gold accents) - Lotus F1 Champs, Mario Andretti, Aryton Senna, etc. Just a silly whim for me. Saleeen Series VI supercharged, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump for fuel delivery, , a water misting system for the AFCO radiator, Setrab oil cooler and heat exchanger. NASA TT 3600lb with me and gas in it. Cortex coilovers, Cortex Watts Link, Cortex Torque Arm, 3-4 deg neg camber available, FR500C A-arms with extended studs w/Steeda Bumpsteer kit, Whiteline poly bushings, BMR Relo-brackets w/BMR lower control arms, Apex EC7 Gold 18x11 & Forgestar Gold CF5 18x11, Hoosier 315/30/18 tires. Shown are my 5 spoke Saleen Extreme forged 5 spoke street wheels. Stoptech front 14" 2-piece rrotors/brakes and 14" 2-piece rear rotors, FRRP Alminum driveshaft, Bobs diff can, Torsen 2TR 3:55 diff, 5 spd, Recaro SR5 Seat, rear seat delete, etc, 5 pt harness/roll bar, 35mm adj front bar and 18mm rear bar, 650lb/350 Eibach springs, Braille 9lb trunk battery , 128oz Intercooler reservoir. max flow marine intercooler pump, custom strut Moroso Oil separator, bar. Front splitter and APR rear wing. No CATS. To combat heat build up with the supercharger in track sessions: I take the one "outlap" to warm up tires and brakes, then immediately hammer down for two timed laps and then one cool down lap and I am done for that TT session.

Saleen JPS 1.jpg

Shaker 15.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
ChrisM If you are inquiring about my black Saleen Mustang setup it is not that special compared to most TMO track cars. 2006 Saleen 281SC with the Saleen Supershaker hood scoop setup just added this winter for the best "cold air intake possible - ambient air as all air to engine comes solely through the hood scoop. 99% of people do not know the John Player Special livery (always black car, gold accents) - Lotus F1 Champs, Mario Andretti, Aryton Senna, etc. Just a silly whim for me. Saleeen Series VI supercharged, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump for fuel delivery, , a water misting system for the AFCO radiator, Setrab oil cooler and heat exchanger. NASA TT 3600lb with me and gas in it. Cortex coilovers, Cortex Watts Link, Cortex Torque Arm, 3-4 deg neg camber available, FR500C A-arms with extended studs w/Steeda Bumpsteer kit, Whiteline poly bushings, BMR Relo-brackets w/BMR lower control arms, Apex EC7 Gold 18x11 & Forgestar Gold CF5 18x11, Hoosier 315/30/18 tires. Shown are my 5 spoke Saleen Extreme forged 5 spoke street wheels. Stoptech front 14" 2-piece rrotors/brakes and 14" 2-piece rear rotors, FRRP Alminum driveshaft, Bobs diff can, Torsen 2TR 3:55 diff, 5 spd, Recaro SR5 Seat, rear seat delete, etc, 5 pt harness/roll bar, 35mm adj front bar and 18mm rear bar, 650lb/350 Eibach springs, Braille 9lb trunk battery , 128oz Intercooler reservoir. max flow marine intercooler pump, custom strut Moroso Oil separator, bar. Front splitter and APR rear wing. No CATS. To combat heat build up with the supercharger in track sessions: I take the one "outlap" to warm up tires and brakes, then immediately hammer down for two timed laps and then one cool down lap and I am done for that TT session.

View attachment 63687

View attachment 63688
Which 14" rear rotors...Baer Eradispeed or a GT 500 setup?

Utah
Rear 14" Rotors are the Baer Eradispeed 2 piece rotor setup (slots only, no holes) because of the simplicity of using just brackets to offset the stock calipers for the 14" (actual 14" dia not 13.8") 2 piece Eradipeed rotors. Replacement Baer rear rotors rings are about $240 each.
I was also sort of commited to the rear Baer setup because instead of the usual Brembo front calipers, the Saleen Mustangs used Saleen branded Stoptech ST40 calipers and Baer also makes the front Eradispeed 2pc 14" rotors for the Saleen front Stoptech setup.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Rear 14" Rotors are the Baer Eradispeed 2 piece rotor setup (slots only, no holes) because of the simplicity of using just brackets to offset the stock calipers for the 14" (actual 14" dia not 13.8") 2 piece Eradipeed rotors. Replacement Baer rear rotors rings are about $240 each.
I was also sort of commited to the rear Baer setup because instead of the usual Brembo front calipers, the Saleen Mustangs used Saleen branded Stoptech ST40 calipers and Baer also makes the front Eradispeed 2pc 14" rotors for the Saleen front Stoptech setup.
I have the same rear setup

TMO Supporting Vendors