The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

if you watch the GS race this afternoon............

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The rumor (and I emphasize rumor) is that since they had the championship in the bag, they ran the car rich to burn off fuel, so when they were checked at the end of the race, it would justify their 19 gallon fuel cell. Supposedly they could've made the entire race on 1 stop otherwise.
Just sayin'

Is 19 gallon smaller or larger than the other cars?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
^Haha. Spoiler alert. Was a great finish.

One of the comments made about the Mustangs being the heaviest and that they got caught up in the politics...got me a bit upset. Oh, well. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the 2015 Mustangs show up late next season?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
yeah, I didn't buy the "we overfilled the oil a bit" statement, when the car never stopped smoking throughout the race. I don't understand the rules of GS, so the tank check at the end of the race means nothing to me, but it is interesting what race teams do to find the grey areas. FWIW, my thought was too rich when I saw it too, but I thought they set it rich for the cold air and it warmed up quicker than they anticipated.

the finish had me jumping off the couch, it was so thrilling, but the most incredible pass was at about 45 minute mark, when the Stevenson Camaro did the wide fake and ducked inside to take the lead. wow, that was a fantastic piece of race driving! it showed the very psychological aspect of how races are won.

What GS race are we talking about here, and on what cable channel or live stream site was it broadcast? Thought the GS final championship race was a week ago at LR. Thanks!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
pufferfish said:
but the most incredible pass was at about 45 minute mark, when the Stevenson Camaro did the wide fake and ducked inside to take the lead. wow, that was a fantastic piece of race driving! it showed the very psychological aspect of how races are won.

Agreed, that was a great battle and a stellar pass. I did enjoy watching Billy Johnson chip away at the Camaro to take the win for the race, however, and Billy's customary "Victory Drifts" in the closing shots :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Also FWIW Billy announced that he's going to be a free agent for 2014; not sure if he's still looking to do NASCAR or what, but this could make things interesting for whoever picks him up!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
dabossinne said:
What GS race are we talking about here, and on what cable channel or live stream site was it broadcast? Thought the GS final championship race was a week ago at LR. Thanks!

It should be available here soon:
http://www.grand-am.com/ScheduleResults/ContinentalTire.aspx

What's really amazing is how the decision to change only 2 tires in their last pit probably cost the Stevenson win.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ArizonaGT said:
Agreed, that was a great battle and a stellar pass. I did enjoy watching Billy Johnson chip away at the Camaro to take the win for the race, however, and Billy's customary "Victory Drifts" in the closing shots :)

The move BJ made to pass for the win was unbelieveable. If you have ever driven Lime Rock you would never dream of driving that line at speed, much less with a car inside you banging on your passenger door. There is no grip out there, and if you watch he made the pass with his left side tires in the dirt/grass. Pretty cool. He also was doing the of line/on line feignts for about 5 laps to setup his final attempts to pass.

If Roush doesn't put him in a Nationwide Car next year or if Michael Shank Racing doesn't put him in a DP car it would be a real loss for Ford Racing, the guy is a real charger.
Steve

If you watched the ST race several passes were made on the outside, as I recall BJ was driving in that race and probably went to school on them.

NFSBOSS said:
Is 19 gallon smaller or larger than the other cars?

Larger than ours, I know that

pufferfish said:
yeah, I didn't buy the "we overfilled the oil a bit" statement, when the car never stopped smoking throughout the race. I don't understand the rules of GS, so the tank check at the end of the race means nothing to me, but it is interesting what race teams do to find the grey areas. FWIW, my thought was too rich when I saw it too, but I thought they set it rich for the cold air and it warmed up quicker than they anticipated.

the finish had me jumping off the couch, it was so thrilling, but the most incredible pass was at about 45 minute mark, when the Stevenson Camaro did the wide fake and ducked inside to take the lead. wow, that was a fantastic piece of race driving! it showed the very psychological aspect of how races are won.

IMO it shows how much the Porsche needs to be reeled in

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
blacksheep-1 said:
If you watched the ST race several passes were made on the outside, as I recall BJ was driving in that race and probably went to school on them.

Larger than ours, I know that

IMO it shows how much the Porsche needs to be reeled in
You know how it is, if Porsche isn't winning then Porsche goes home. Rules makers want Porsche in any series they can, so they bend over backwards to level the playing field.

I think the ACO will have enough of the Audi parade at LeMans and you will see a Porsche return to glory this year.

steveespo said:
You know how it is, if Porsche isn't winning then Porsche goes home. Rules makers want Porsche in any series they can, so they bend over backwards to level the playing field.

I think the ACO will have enough of the Audi parade at LeMans and you will see a Porsche return to glory this year.
If what you say is so true then how come Porsche has stuck it out in ALMS GT. The very situation you describe only in reverse is why Porsche pulled out of the Grand-Am DP class. When the Alex Job team came in with a factory backed DP and debuted it at the Rolex 24 a few years back and showed their strength, Grand-Am pegged them back at the very next race and rendered them much less competitive.

Awesome race. So proud of Billy Johnson's effort this year to stay positive and fight until the end. Not a good year for Mustangs, but im looking forward to 2014 development. Multimatic's team will be a great addition, hopefully their 2014 effort is better than their previous run.

TMO Supporting Vendors