The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

If you were going to Boost your Boss what would you do and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just curious I have been researching different setups mainly the (procharger, Hellion TT kit, and JPC single kit) and what it looks like to me is that the cheapest route is the pro charger (I cannot find info on the options they offer however as in the D-1SC vs P-1SC).

With that being said from what I am seeing is to turbo the boss is going to be about 12-14k all in, assuming that I do not do the install myself. Procharging would be roughly 7-8K all in. If I did the installs myself turbos would be in the 9-10K range.

I would want the boss to be as streetable as possible and not just a tire smoking machine. I would like between 600-650whp and make it reliable enough to be driven daily and hit the mountain roads I have around here. I do not have any road courses or drag strips within a 3-4 hour drive so the car would be purely street only and has to pass emissions.

Just wondering what you all have to say about it. It seems as though if I went the all motor bolt on route I would be in about the 425-450whp range, which is very good in all honesty.

Thanks for looking and please discuss. Always open to other options and opinions.

Personally I would go the bolt on route. I think with bolt on's includinng exhaust will make more than $450. Save the money and upgrade the heads and get a AED tune after all the bolt on's. Then you can use the saved money from a turbo and use that in the suspension. You'll need traction. You can spends lots here and smoke most cars off the line on the streets. Our cars already have too much horsepower for the traction imo. UCA/LCA, better driveshaft, swap out diff since no track. Get 18" rims with Micky's drag radials too. Then practice your launch's. Run around town and look for 0-60 race's or light to light.

Or just be boring like me and keep it stock lol. Anyhow, most of what I said above is what I read here in the forums... Good luck either way, I'll look forward to seeing how your build turns out. :p

Chris

ThanIs for your reply it is appreciated. If I could get the Boss to say 475-525whp with bolt ons and other mods such as heads etc that would be great. I am looking for reliability and emissions passing.

Also the reSons I have picked the above is because I want to keep my Boss intake manifold, well you know just because.

This AED tune you spoke of where does one get this tune? I have heard Lund, and others but never AED. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks again.

spdkills83 said:
ThanIs for your reply it is appreciated. If I could get the Boss to say 475-525whp with bolt ons and other mods such as heads etc that would be great. I am looking for reliability and emissions passing.

Also the reSons I have picked the above is because I want to keep my Boss intake manifold, well you know just because.

This AED tune you spoke of where does one get this tune? I have heard Lund, and others but never AED. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks again.

Emissions may be a little tricky depending what state your car is registered in. Most emission tests will fail if you have a CEL light lit up or the computer shows something is not right. If you go with shorty headers and use your Cat's you may be ok there. But survey say's :p Cats eat up some HP's...

Also it probably won't be long before you dislike the stock clutch. I have the stock still and don't track my car. I plan on maybe 2 track days sometime this spring as a beginner though. Anyhow, search for AED tune here on the forums and you'll find more about the tunes. Be ready to make a shopping list though, there is plenty to play with on our cars. Welcome also to BMO..

Chris

Thanks again for the reply it is appreciated.

I live in WV and most of the inspections ( or all I should say) in my life so far have been visual, they just look to see if you have cats.

I will definitely research AED as well, and I with you on the shopping list already have about 10k or so wrote down in a note book in order of how I want to do things haha power being last but, it was the only thing I was on the fence about either FI or all motor so I thought I would ask.

Thanks again.

I don't know much about Nitrous, but I do know a lot of racers (Drag racing) use it at the track even on stock GTs and really turn good times. If you get traction mods and add a nitrous system you may find yourself in the 10s with practice. Or you may break your driveshaft or differential....:p

chris

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
AED is one of the site sponsors/advertisers and their link is on the banner on the right side.
http://www.advancedenginedevelopment.com/

Personally, I wouldn't run FI on the street in a Boss. But if I had to choose, I'd go with a centrifugal and the biggest air-air intercooler that I could fit/afford and run a very low PSI with a larger than stock pulley.

Welcome to BMO!

I'll answer the what if question. I'd go turbo.

If there is in fact any issues with the oil pump or crank gear breaking, I would not want to add the additional load on the end of the crank a supercharger adds.

I like the instant "on" of the turbo, no waiting for RPM's to climb. Turbos are also easier to control boost, either with electronics or with wastegate springs. For argument sake, Beefcake does have the Torque Booster for superchargers.

Ever hear a blow off valve?? "Nuff said

With that said, keep it around 450-475 whp and put a suspension on that thing.

My $0.02

Thanks for the replies people it is appreciated.

I noticed the AED ad right after Chris mentioned AED honestly had never heard or seen it before :eek:.

I love the pull of an all motor vehicle it is awesome always in have the power when you want it. With that being said I come from a world of Subaru's and have always had turbo cars so it seemed natural to go that direction. However, now I am dealing with quite a bit more ooomph than a turbo 2.5 litre so my thoughts can definitely be swayed.

Thank you guys for the replies and like I said above I am always open to suggestions.

Out of curiosity who is some of the builders who can put together an all motor setup in the 450-500whp range? I would think that may be attainable with full bolt on's but, then again it may not. I know I seen the AM Boss on youtube with a few bolt on's hit something in the 430whp range.

Just curious what it would take on a all motor setup.

Thanks ;D

Couple of good all motor reads

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/dyno-testing/carbd-coyote-engine-project-goes-fuel-injected-with-aem-infinity/

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/dyno-testing/carbureted-cobra-jet-coyote-part-3-the-long-block-and-testing/

Pay close attention to Rich Groh Racing Engines and Livernois

Thanks for the all motor links that was a good read. Just off the top of your head how much do you figure an all motor 450-500whp build would cost? Cannot really find any hard numbers as to pricing on head work and such.

Thanks again for the help and info.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Best route for a forced induction Mustang is, wait for it.................................................................
a 2013-14 GT 500, 605 at the tires stock and with $1500 in tune/bolt ons 725. Plus it is a dead certain collector item (so is the Boss) that has a rock solid trans/clutch combo and coolers for the diff and trans stock if you get a track pack car.
I am sure you want to stick with the Boss so I would then say a Ford Racing SC kit for cost or a Hellion turbo set up for max performance. Either way you should upgrade the clutch and rear suspension to accept the greater power loads.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Steve

Grant 302 said:
I'd run with the stock shortblock for 450-500 rwhp.
Cams, Cobra Jet intake, TB, porting, headers...would be enough for me.

+1

Getting back to the original question, if money were no object I would get the Armageddon twin turbo

http://www.kooksheaders.com/2011-2014-ford-mustang-gt-boss-302-armageddon-twin-turbo-system.html

spdkills83 said:
Thanks for the all motor links that was a good read. Just off the top of your head how much do you figure an all motor 450-500whp build would cost? Cannot really find any hard numbers as to pricing on head work and such.

Thanks again for the help and info.

Just a guess, $5-6k.

I've had turbo and centri supercharged cars and other than turbo, N/A is way more fun. I could be swayed with a Positive Displacement blower though. The only problem is that I would lose the Boss intake which I love....

Man good see all of the replies. The info is appreciated as well.

One thing I seen that I am not sure of is VMP what is that abbreviation for? or is it even an abbreviation haha?

Also thanks for the estimate on all motor build, really want this thing to be the ultimate I guess everything ride, quick in a straight line, handle, etc. I guess I just don't want it to be a one trick pony pun intended.

The big single turbo lures me more than the twins, and I do like the superchargers but the Boss manifold is too nice of a thing to give up at the moment.

The all motor setup for the money really does not seem bad at all. I guess it will likely hinge on what ol' uncle sam wants to provide for second Christmas this year. Made quite a bit more last year so hopefully I did right by my taxes.

Thanks again to all that have replied, and whatever route I decide to go I will share granted, nothing major happens between now and then.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel