The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I'll be MIA from track days for the foreseeable future

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Norm is helpful to all, and that is what is so important that he keeps popping in with his insight. Always ready to help a " Noob" as noted above, but just as quick to help the seasoned driver or long term Mustang owner. Hang in there and we demand you stick around and toss out your pearls of wisdom, often!

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Well, I'm easing back into working on the car(s) now that there's been progress on the health front. The Torsen/3.73 task is back underway with fussier pinion depth checking before getting into the backlash part.

Of course, all this time away from the wrenching hasn't stopped the "what if I did this" thoughts from coming. One item that occurred to me recently was that none of the rear seat area X-bracing allows for letting even part of the opening remain usable for longer items ((rifle cases come to mind here). So maybe I'll try to make up something.

I'm also pondering some way of loosening up the MGW shifter's body-side attachment in an effort to reduce its reluctance to do 4-3 downshifts at higher rpms. My suspicion is that the MGW's improvement for slamming the 2-3 upshift came at a cost in the 4-3 downshift, and I'd really rather have the 4-3 have the easier shifting.

Not Mustang-related, but consistent with getting back into doing my own car work, I'm looking ahead for the WRX. It's going to be getting new pads and rotors, to go on when the cold-season PS AS3+ tires get swapped on in another month or so. Wonder of wonders, I could find both slotted rotors (DBA 4000) and pads (Carbotech 1521) available, in stock, and expected here next week. I'm calling this a modification, given that both my wife and I are less than satisfied with the OE 'bite' of the brakes in that car under moderate to hard braking.

Norm

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
One item that occurred to me recently was that none of the rear seat area X-bracing allows for letting even part of the opening remain usable for longer items ((rifle cases come to mind here).
Maybe you can convert to carbines ;-) Although you're probably limited in NJ.
, I could find both slotted rotors (DBA 4000) and pads (Carbotech 1521) available, in stock, and expected here next week. I'm calling this a modification, given that both my wife and I are less than satisfied with the OE 'bite' of the brakes in that car under moderate to hard braking
I converted to G-LOC R12/GS-1 track/street front pads from PowerStop Track Day/Z26 pads.

I find the GS-1 pads have significantly less "bite" than the Z26 pads.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Maybe you can convert to carbines ;-) Although you're probably limited in NJ.
Have some of those, but there's also a couple of nice Henrys and an Savage A17 that need the longer cases. Mostly for anything I'm interested in it's about NJ's 10-round maximum magazine capacity, and for shooting at the range most anything with more capacity just adds weight and gets in the way.

I converted to G-LOC R12/GS-1 track/street front pads from PowerStop Track Day/Z26 pads.

I find the GS-1 pads have significantly less "bite" than the Z26 pads.
At this stage the WRX only needs to satisfy the demands of moderately hard street driving, plus satisfy input from my wife regarding brake noise. We ran CT 1521 pads on the Legacy 2.5GT so we have had good experience with them for that duty. For any harder driving (IOW, track) I'd probably go straight to CT's XP series or R-series in G-loc.

Are you up for a little quiz? https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/something-very-cool-here.17937/#post-268075

Norm

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Oh no! I'm really sad to hear this. Norm has been a staple on many forums for years and has consistently provided excellent tips and tricks. The Mustang community has lost a huge contributor. God bless you sir.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Although I can't confirm this, it looks like we may have lost Norm Peterson.
He will be missed.

EDIT:
Looks like this may be true. :(
😞

I know he mentioned having some health issues in a couple posts, didn't think much of it. I'm really sad to hear this. I see he was last active here a mere few weeks before his passing. I imagine more people than we know will greatly miss Norm's contributions in the Mustang world (and racing world), and in life overall. Would have loved to meet him in person.

Cheers to Norm.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dang, dang, last I talked with Norm he said he felt he was doing better and he had a real positive outlook. Tough to hear he is gone as he was so helpful to everyone and really enjoyed the camaraderie on TMO. Though we discussed issues we had both had in the past I really thought he was on the mend. I know he will be sorely missed here and sincere condolences go to his family --- Norm was a caring soul and always helpful.

We will miss you buddy!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
18341948_10210602625036434_2481526745160962015_n.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel