The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I'll stick with HPDE and TT thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It is very hard to zing a motor or tranny in SRF. Not saying it's impossible but if you did the units were most likely weak and ready to break down. It is not uncommon to get quite a number of years on an SRF engine and transmission before a rebuild is necessary, and still be competitive in the class. SRF is in my opinion and experience, the best class ever conceived for low budget racing. In SM some cars are more "spec" than others if you know what I mean and therefore the costs can vary significantly from car to car.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
orng302 hit on one of the complaints many have had about Spec Miata since it became a National Class. The cost of an engine could become statospheric if one wanted to be top flight, so alot of drivers went back to Regional racing and converted the cars to ITA ( Improved Touring A ). The costs are quite reasonable and upgrades can make them even quicker than Spec Miata - with alot of folks going that route it has become a good area to race in.

Cloud9 -- do understand your thought process , as after years of going back and forth between a Viper and a Spec Miata, I finally just became too much of a horsepower junkie. The racing though, was much, much tighter with Spec Miatas, cheaper to fix, and a good training ground to learn precision.

Now I just enjoy going to the track to socialize and run as quick as I can. Cloud9 reminds me of myself at his age, because as soon as I got a few new parts , I talked myself into a few more. I still find myself doing that , but I only go about half as far as I used too. Good luck Gary , as I am wondering what will be after the window net, ha,ha.

TMO Supporting Vendors