The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I'll stick with HPDE and TT thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
+1.

If and when I can afford multiple cars per season (or the financial equivalent thereof) and not have to work for a living, I'll consider it ;-)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Club racing is in the near future for me. No fame, no fortune, just fun. I'm not delusional enough to think I will be getting any sponsorships, and don't have the pockets to consider going pro, if I even thought I was half as good as I'd need to be to try.

Funny you posted this.... Just the other day I was looking through this site. It is linked as a good resource on the SCCA website. It has tons of great information for people getting into racing, auto-x, hpde, whatever. It is geared to help out newbies. For guys just getting into the hobby this site will save them a lot of headaches, heartache, and money.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
The photographer said the same, but it's actually not as clean as it looks. Have you been to VIR with their dirt/sand/dust paddock area ? I just took long island sound out of my carpets this afternoon ;D

SCCA or NASA club racing should look pretty good to anyone thinking of going racing after reading these two articles. Some of the club race classes are definitely doable, they may not be the class or car you would prefer to race, but depending on your choice the competition and racing can be very exciting and challenging.

If I had the money, I would be out there for sure ;D

I think the new Focus STR may be a good way to go for people looking into racing, cost has to be way less then running a car like the Boss.

Here is the ST that was at BJ Palm Beach. I was surprised the seats did not have holes for the shoulder harnesses.

CIMG2931.png
CIMG2932.png
CIMG2933.png

Cheap racing: Spec Miata* or Spec E30 with NASA

Why *? Spec Miata is cheap to run, but there are people running 20k+ motors because they really, really want to win. I know a couple, give them a few beers and they will explain just how expensive it is to add 3 hp legally :eek: So if you want to win, the price goes up considerably.

Spec E30 is just as cheap to run, and the "cheater" cars are much rarer at least out here. I know a couple, but they are not nearly high dollar as the top Miatas. It is getting more popular, so they will come here too eventually. But as of a couple years ago, my friend won the class a couple years and he was running a stock motor with just a crank scraper that wasn't even refreshed when the car was converted from a street car he picked up. I know the builder too, he helped with my car. I have something like 6.5k in mine other than tires, including purchase (I got a screaming deal) but I need another 2k or so to finish it (front of cage, nets, battery kill, fire bottle and spec exhaust if I start trailering it is all iirc). That is the do it yourself price, as I said I got a screaming deal, but even if you pay someone iirc it is like 12k for a really nice one ready to run. They also are cheap to run, oil every couple race weekends, pads and tires every 3 weekends or so (rotors are $10 lol), flush the coolant/tranny/diff every year, regrease the wheel bearings and timing belt every 2 years (bearings aren't rebuildable but there is a trick to refill them). There is some more stuff, but it is pretty minor. They are slow though. Very slow. But you get to go wheel to wheel on the cheap in a pretty competitive class where you don't have to worry about somebody winning because they threw money at their car.

Also you can partner with someone, many people do. 2 races per weekend, you trade off each day. That would put you in an E30 spec car for 6k each if you pay someone to build it.

And I know, that isn't pro racing, but it is racing. If you didn't start driving carts at 3 years old, you are not going to get paid to race. That is the facts, unless you are some sort of savant. I also know a lot of former pros that are much happier now having a day job and racing for fun.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I've seen HPDE go wrong (too many times) and I've personally seen TT go wrong:

1. Driver in a brand-new car, not familiar with the setup, puts it into the wall on the first green lap (hello, first session of the morning, new setup... back-off)

2. My personal favorite (Time Trials) - coming into turn 7 at Pueblo Motorsports Park (awesome track if you ever get a chance) and here comes a C7 Z06 screaming across the fire lane (roughly paved 'road' between turn 3 and 7) at about 100 mph followed closely by his buddy in a C5 Z06... almost parked in my passenger door

3. Instructor in a GT3 (Time Trials) gives me a point by, I take it, he misses a shift and almost slams into my driver's door in the following corner.

4. Instructor (same one as above) decides he doesn't want to let me by (Time Trials), is driving beyond his limits, goes off track in turn 4 at High Plains Raceway (another awesome track), comes back on in turn 5 and almost takes me out

So, lessons learned:

1. HPDE is still dangerous if you drive like it's a race
2. Instructors aren't immune to brain farts
3. Always warm up your brain as you warm up your car
4. Never, ever trust a new setup until you've driven on it in anger
5. Even under powered cars (those were all in my E36 M3) can be fast in the right hands!

Last session of the 2nd day of a track weekend is bad too. I don't know if it is people being tired or trying to set a new best time before heading home, but people drive like idiots.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
All VERY true. Sad to say, but i've seen more bent metal in HPDE Instructor group only runs than I have seen in green (beginner) groups. Also, the first and the last run of an event are the ones where drivers tend to stray from what we know are the safest approaches to high speed driving. This is why a number of clubs do not permit lap timing. It let's the inexperianced focus on the wrong things...

Stay safe.

(Cali you snuck in while I was typing ;-)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
PTRocks said:
The simple question is: "How do you make a small fortune in racing?"
Answer: "Start with a big one."

Have you been reading my facebook updates lately? :)

CaliMR said:
Last session of the 2nd day of a track weekend is bad too. I don't know if it is people being tired or trying to set a new best time before heading home, but people drive like idiots.
I saw one of those at TH my last time out. I had just passed two cars and came around the next lap and they had swapped paint in turn 14. I believe one of them lost their brakes and ran into the other. One nice thing about the last sessions in my limited experience is there were only a few cars on the track as most had gone home.

First lap of first session was the crash that took out the lower of the 2 flag stations at turn 5 at THill. That was my first ever track day, we were going reverse configuration and the driver decided to go balls out on his warmup lap and got confused whether to take the bypass or not. They didn't have it coned off since the Mazda Challenge guys go over the top. It was pretty nasty, and is the reason there is only one flag tower there now. I don't recall what happened to the driver, but the 2 guys in the tower were hurt really bad.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Raced in a couple of series for around 10-11 years and can definitely state that running in Spec Miata or ITA with a Miata is one of the least expensive ways to race. It is still expensive, but compared to the articles , it can be done with a reasonable budget and in most parts of the Country the competition is quit fierce. Good training ground for other vehicles as learning to drive a car that is essentially a momemtum racer, means you have to learn the lines, you can't make any mistakes and focus becomes a huge key.

Right now I will just do some track time or HPDE events and have fun hanging around with other track rats -- cheaper still , but every bit as much fun!

I have been doing a lot of research into club racing. The cheapest way to go racing in the largest fields are Spec Miata and Spec Ford Racer. You are going to spend about $1500 to $1800 for a double race weekend. This is for EVERYTHING.... Gas for towing, hotels (could save some money by camping), food, parts, fuel, tires, fees, etc, etc. And this is not necessarily for a front running car.... I budgeted out for Spec Racer Ford a 9 race season in the SE. It averaged out to $1676 per race weekend over 9 weekends. Spec Miata is about the same.

This also does not account for if you zing a motor or your transmission goes or you need a rebuild on the shocks or major crash damage. It also does not account for needed personal safety gear or car purchase or anything of the sort…. Nor does it account for trailer or tow vehicle wear/tear and maintenance. Just to race a car for the weekend.....

However I dare any of you to track every penny that you spend doing HPDEs for one year. I mean everything....from parts, fluids, tires, brakes, to lodging, food, fees, towing.....everything. You may be in for quite a shock if you track often and travel a few hours to most tracks you attend....

adam81 said:
However I dare any of you to track every penny that you spend doing HPDEs for one year. I mean everything....from parts, fluids, tires, brakes, to lodging, food, fees, towing.....everything. You may be in for quite a shock if you track often and travel a few hours to most tracks you attend....
Like I told my wife, I don't want to know ;D For me I'll tradeoff tracking a V8 monster like the Boss versus racing in a Miata but to each his own 8)

TMO Supporting Vendors