The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

IMSA Monterey Grand Prix at Laguna Seca

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is anyone going to the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship at Laguna Seca April 27th through May 1st? If so we should meet up and maybe even grab dinner at Turn 12 in Monterey Saturday evening. I'll be there with my son late Friday afternoon through Sunday. I'm looking forward to seeing both the Ford GT and GT350R-C on track for the first time.

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/sites/main/files/file-attachments/continental_monterey_grand_prix_schedule_3.18.pdf

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/continental-monterey-grand-prix-powered-mazda

15-66-ford-performance-chip-ganassi-racing-ford-gt.jpg

s360-racing-ford-shelby-gt350-c-paul-holton-pierre.jpg

I'll be there for some of it.
I'd looked at getting a camp spot and staying overnight but I think we'll just do a day-trip...in the R, of course. I'll be camping there most of the week of April 11 for the Sea Otter Classic bike festival and may run a track day on the 1tth with CFRA. Laguna Seca is magic.

I'm taking my pops and plan on being there from Friday afternoon thru Sunday. I'm looking forward to seeing the Ford GT and GT350R-C on track as well.

The Ford GT's looked good in qualifying but a 488 took the pole in GTLM. Looking forward to good results from them tomorrow. The GT350's sure sounded good but the Cayman GT4's were just too quick for them today.

I saw your car parked at turn 3 near the Lambo's Saturday. I've been to every Continental Tires Series race at Laguna Seca and most of the Koni Challenge races before that. To me it looks like this series is on its last legs. There were eight GS cars, five of which were Caymans. No Camaros, no BMW's, no Boss 302's, Rum Bum is gone as is Roush. I chatted briefly with Billy Johnson, asking him what changes the "balance of performance" mandates. Making a motion with his hands he said "we go from a throttle body like this (roughly the size of a small grapefruit) to one like this" (about the size of a tennis ball). It became obvious after the first twenty minutes there was no way the Mustangs could compete under these conditions. The GT350 is obviously much heavier than the Porsche, so the only way it could compensate for this inherent disadvantage would be in acceleration. Judging by the Mustangs' inability to gain any ground on the straights it was apparent that the BOP had negated that factor. The idea of a race car being slower than the production car just doesn't make much sense.

That was me, hopefully my car was positioned perfectly to you can read my TMO windshield banner on TV. ;)

Yes the whole race series has become a mess. The P and GTLM cars also seem like they didn't have many participants as well. I hope they get it figured out but as it is it's pointless for the big cars to race the lighter cars unless they give them more tire.

TMO Supporting Vendors