The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

In Monterey and planning to visit Laguna Seca

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
So, I'm in Monterey at this moment. I attended a wedding at the aquarium last night. Being so close to Laguna Seca, there is no way I wouldnt at least stop by and feast my eyes on this iconic track. I checked the schedule and the only thing going on today appears to be Skip Barber race school. For those who frequent it, are there things I should do or areas to visit? I might be pushing my luck, but want to at least ask if I can drive the rental car on the track. That would be awesome! Any suggestions to maximize my very limited time here?

The track is usually open meaning that you can just drive in for free. There's a guard post at the top of the hill before you drop into the track and if they stop you just tell them that you want to check out the track and they'll probably let you in. You'll want to hike up to the top of the hill and check out the corkscrew so you can get a feel of how steep it is.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Well, that was an exciting afternoon at LS! First, we stopped in the paddock, where the Skip Barber students were about to go out on track in those little formula fords or whatever they are. After they took off, we struck up a conversation with the head instructor, Thomas. He was nice enough to offer us ride alongs in their Miata pace car. He proceeded to show us what "zoom zoom" meant, by tossing the car into every turn! I was giddy as a school girl! The whole track is amazing, mostly due to the dramatic elevation changes, but the star of the show was the cork screw..of course! DAANNGG! After our roller coaster rides were over, we drove up to the top of the hill to watch the drivers go through the corkscrew. The elevation change there is even more dramatic as a spectator! I vow to come back and drive the track myself...someday. It just went to the top of the bucket list!

Laguna Seca has to be one of my favorite places on earth and living less than 300 miles from it with the pacific coast highway in between is just icing on the cake as they say. Funnily, I've never seen a car race there. I've been making the trek to the track every year since 1982 to see AMA / MotoGP / World Superbike (WSBK) racing there. I've even lapped the track many times on mine and other motorcycles. I've done a little freelance writing / product review work for a Motorcycle rag called Motorcycle Consumer News (www.MCNews.com), which is what earned me the access. Glad you got to do some hot laps, there's really no other place like Laguna Seca!

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Great! Now i need to checkout sonoma too!

By the way, I saw an orange '12 boss just down the road in a strip mall. I swear it had PA plates. Anyone here?

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Two things: 1) Sorry I missed you. I live 10 minutes away and would have directed you to Turn 12, my favorite car themed restaurant in the area.
2) That Boss isn't on here but I've tried to get him to join up and come with me to track days. He just doesn't seem interested. He's a naval officer like myself. Not sure of what # Boss his is but no Recaros.

Glad you enjoyed MRLS.

TMO Supporting Vendors