The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

In the middle of DIY change for my discs and pads, got a question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi, I installed my powerslot rear discs and Pagid pads with no problems, the discs where very worn and not much pad left. Moving to the fronts, I saw the pads are like new after about 8 track days and the rotors have barely any lip at all on them after a year with some 20 track days. They do have the typical fine micro cracks in the surface

Should I leave the fronts alone? or change to the slotted discs as well? I have a two event next weekend and was caught between having new discs for the event or keep the bedded in old discs and pads.

If you can't catch a nail on any of the cracks, they don't have to be replaced, but since you have them might as well.

You need to use them brakes! 8 track days and the pads look new?! I think most guys would be thrilled to get 3 days on a set of pads. But if they are truly newish, they should last two more days.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Traction control on, on track? Cause for the excessive rear wear. Overheats and accelerates the pad and rotor wear. Go Sport mode or off if you can.
If fronts are not worn past 50% thickness you can keep them on. What pads are on the front? If they aren't race compounds you should change to a compatible Pagid on the front.
If you do that you will need to have your rotors clean cut or changed to be compatible with the new compound.

Pete chime in here with the Pagid setups for heavy Mustangs.
Steve

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup, I have the traction on sport, two clicks with the brake down. Maybe its time for me to turn it off. Have the Pagid RS 29 fronts and RS 56 rears form Pete. Amazed how well the pads are wearing, Stock lasted 4 events and I was much slower.

I guess I will switch the discs since the car is in the air!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Post a pic of the old discs? Do you have a set of (measurement/dial) calipers to read the wear/thickness?

Can't hurt to run a fresh set, but I trust a set that has already been stress-relieved on the street and under track use more.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
10n9ra8.jpg

Here is the front OEM disc. 18,000km and about 16 track days. Went ahead and installed the new pads and discs

TMO Supporting Vendors