The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma and World Challenge Race

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone going to Sonoma for the races this weekend? If so let me know and we can meet up. I'll be there on Saturday only for the WC GT/GTS race and IRL qualifying. Should be a nice weekend.

http://www.racesonoma.com/tickets/indy_grand_prix_of_sonoma/

NASA/GoPro is supposed to be mailing me free tickets, but I have not received them yet. There was a promotion where the first 150 people got them if they had future events paid for, and I got a confirmation so hopefully they will show up. I'll probably only be there Sunday, as I have to take the track car in for a major service Saturday in Dublin.

If anyone is going to be there Sunday, I'll be there with my big bro. Sucks I can't make the GTS race, would like to see how the pros handle the track for some pointers.

I might run up there Friday to see some of the practice sessions. that's what I did at LS last weekend for the historics and I really enjoyed being there sans crowd.

Here's a few photos from the race yesterday. Paul Brown's car blew an engine and Rehagan loaned them their back up car. Justin Bell started at the back of the pack and worked his way up to third place. He was closing in on the Acura that got second but I don't think he had anything for the Camaro that took first place.

The Rehagan car that dnf

IMG_1555.jpg

The Volvo's running in the GT class were stinking fast. They smoked the CTS-V coupes off the starting line.

IMG_0067.jpg

The third place Boss 302S driven by Justin Bell

IMG_0196.jpg
IMG_1566.jpg

Why is Justin so happy?

IMG_0226.jpg

The Audi TTRS that Chris was pitting for. This thing was also very fast off the line and picked up 4 or 5 spots at the start.

IMG_0154.jpg

I used to be a big CART fan but after the CART Indycar split lost interest. It's sad to see second tier sponsors on the cars. I thought the qualifying was very boring but what do you expect from a spec series?

IMG_0270.jpg

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
We picked up 7 spots on the first lap, and I think an 8th before it went full course caution. I was hoping he could follow Justin through the pack, but the Audi just has too much push in it right now, he kept overshooting turn 11, and no matter how slow he'd enter, the front tires would just blow away when he got back on the power. We should be in good shape for next season, and I look forward to being at all the races. I'll try to get the video up from that, we won an award of some sort for the start, the TTRS certainly doesn't lack power or launch grip (we're not even launching as hard as we could just to minimize wear).

I dunno what the hell was up with Rehagen, but they threw a fit (and caused the full course caution), when the driver took the damaged car and threw it back on track in front of the field. Pretty intentional and piss poor move from a spectator's standpoint, I'm not sure if they were trying to tighten the pack for the other rehagen/ebay/TR car or what.

What a blast, it was great catching up with everyone there, Rick good seeing you again and I'll have to make it out to some west coast track meets once I have my car running again (really hoping to have it together by the G/A race at MRLS).

This is my first bigger race that I've worked, and it was unbelievably fun. I couldn't believe all the people I brushed shoulders with, and was up front during all the action. Certainly looking forward to next year and hopefully bring that team some podium finishes.

captdistraction said:
I dunno what the hell was up with Rehagen, but they threw a fit (and caused the full course caution), when the driver took the damaged car and threw it back on track in front of the field. Pretty intentional and piss poor move from a spectator's standpoint, I'm not sure if they were trying to tighten the pack for the other rehagen/ebay/TR car or what.
From a spectator perspective that was an annoyingly long yellow for a car running off the track. Maybe that was their strategy and if so it worked. Nice seeing you again and have fun with the crewing.

If NorCal Shelby gets another two day session at LS next Summer that will be the one to come out for. I'll keep you guys posted.

TMO Supporting Vendors