The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

IndyCar AeroScreen and F1 Halo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1968 was total carnage, no doubt, but a modern F1 car, even a pre "thong" one is much safer than those guys could ever conceive. I guess it's just the kart racer in me that misses watching the driver actually drive the car..
I've actually wedged myself into an old Lotus F! car, you literally sit in the fuel tank, there's no space for it so they work it around the driver's body, it functions as part of the seat, and back then, there were no fuel bladders or on board fire bottles, you made up for it by not doing stupid things.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Just finished reading “Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed,” which I believe the Ford V. Ferrari movie is based on, and the carnage from those golden days was horrific. Either those boys were brave or fools. It's amazing to me how long it took for the "Pilot's" safety to be taken into consideration. Jackie Stewart was instrumental in bringing about change to the sport. I think if I had to drive with what those guys had back then, I just wouldn't have the balls. What gives me a thrill when I get behind the wheel now is all the safeguards in place.

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Tyme, Agree!!
Same reason I don't have a motor cycle. I look terrible in Plaster of Paris and crutches.
In defense of the drivers back then. Things were safer than the generation before. No pressurized fuel tanks. Most cars which were raced were enclosed. Lacking a Self Preservation gene has always been a plus for drivers. Some say that about us. :rolleyes:

I also like the looks or the AeroScreen over the halo.

Several years ago I did a ride along in a two seat IndyCar at Fontana. I was wearing a Simpson helmet I had with no aero lip on it. On the back straight at 180-190 if I moved my head slightly to the left or right of the drivers helmet the wind wanted to rip my helmet off. I’m sure the AeroScreen will affect aero significantly.

sfo
The end of open cockpit racing, next will be tire enclosures

It is really amazing when guys like phil Hill and Sterling moss survive their racing career while the same is expected of any modern driver today.

Any crew chief will tell you that to go fast a driver must have confidence in the car. But today the car makes the driver brave. Racing is ruined when there are no consequences and as Danial Ricciardo said, "sometimes you just have to lick the stamp and send it." I'm more cynical than Blacksheep. We are getting very close to "why bother" and just do an I racing championship where anyone can be a hero.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I love racing and its becoming a bit of a addiction as it has for many here at TMO and all over the car world. But then again, not dying is high on my list of priorities!! Who will take care of the wife and kids etc.

Crashing my Boss in the rain at 70mph and walking away safe and sound makes me feel good about the car and the nutty sport we love so much...

If you can have your cake and eat it. So much the better!

TX
Only one thing gripes me about today's racing - how boring much of it sounds. For me, the audible experience is the most important.

I couldnt believe how much of the excitement of F1 is gone because of the hybrid engines when we went to the USGP. I sure hope someone brings back open wheel, n/a v8/v10 cars. It's hard to get "excited" for racing when I can talk over the cars as they whiz by. At least for me.

Only one thing gripes me about today's racing - how boring much of it sounds. For me, the audible experience is the most important.

I couldnt believe how much of the excitement of F1 is gone because of the hybrid engines when we went to the USGP. I sure hope someone brings back open wheel, n/a v8/v10 cars. It's hard to get "excited" for racing when I can talk over the cars as they whiz by. At least for me.

Same. I have watched F1 religiously since 07, but my first race I attended was 2017 at COTA. Formula 4 seemed almost at loud as F1. Also they had a V-10 duel seater for celebrities that would go out over the weekend, and after turn 3-4 you wouldn't hear the current F1 cars, but that V-10 you would hear around the whole track. Unlike most I don't care about the looks of the Halo anymore, I just want good racing.

Same. I have watched F1 religiously since 07, but my first race I attended was 2017 at COTA. Formula 4 seemed almost at loud as F1. Also they had a V-10 duel seater for celebrities that would go out over the weekend, and after turn 3-4 you wouldn't hear the current F1 cars, but that V-10 you would hear around the whole track. Unlike most I don't care about the looks of the Halo anymore, I just want good racing.

i have been watching for years, i was lucky enough to go and see when they raced at indy.....the sound of those v10’s was incredible. As sebastian vettel said about the new engines “i dont much care for it’’

2020 is going to be insanely boring with mercedes winning again if FIA doesnt strike down their automatic toe in steering system, 2021 will be a serious game changer.

haas said hes been lobbying F1 that its just not competitive when you have the top 3 teams lapping the rest. 2019 was awesome mid field racing. I hope they get rid of the unfairness (which they will in 2021). I wonder if thats why mercedes might be pulling out.

TMO Supporting Vendors