The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Initial mods are done. Just need 500 more miles.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'd blame me before the car until we prove otherwise :D I'll be the first to admit I was in learning mode day 1 in a new car. Now if it happens again....... :mad:

Since this is now somehow the track prep and cooling thread, I thought I would mention that the 302R oil pan might be a worthwhile upgrade for those who need more cooling capacity. I thought it would just have extra baffling and whatnot, but nope, it increases oil capacity to a whopping 12 quarts! Warning: the price of the oil pan (and oil changes) will make your eyes water:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12061

Jimmy

Jimmy Pribble said:
Since this is now somehow the track prep and cooling thread, I thought I would mention that the 302R oil pan might be a worthwhile upgrade for those who need more cooling capacity. I thought it would just have extra baffling and whatnot, but nope, it increases oil capacity to a whopping 12 quarts! Warning: the price of the oil pan (and oil changes) will make your eyes water:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12061

Jimmy
:eek: Especially at nominally $10/qt for 5W-50.

Ford recommends that you change your axle lubricant and
friction modifier after the initial (first) hour of high-speed
operation or if the vehicle is subjected to track or competition
conditions; thereafter changing the axle lubricant and friction
modifier every 12 hours (under these conditions).
• Ford recommends you change your oil and filter after your
vehicle is subjected to track and/or competition conditions.

Good find Jimmy. Will have to keep this in mind.

ORANGE CRUSH said:
I looked over my radiator and front grill and from what I can see this is the best box in job I have ever seen on a stock Mustang. I don't see much air going around the radiator.
I took the shroud covering the radiator off mine yesterday to get a good look at the radiator. It does look to be boxed in very nicely and you're right I don't see a lot of air flowing around it. The grille appears to be impeding a ton of airflow that could go directly onto the radiator. There are three slats around the tri-bar pony that could be opened up plus the faux fog lamps really block air flow. I got to looking at it and I think I could drill approximately 120 (~1/4") holes in the fog lamps to provide additional airflow. It would end up looking like a screen, which is maybe what it's supposed to be replicating anyway? I'm sure it would be unthinkable to many, but I might just try it. I see blueovalindustries.com sells the unpainted grille for $349 if I screw it up.

$349 for the Boss grille? I was suggesting that for track days, simply replace the grille with a GT grille from a junkyard. Maybe cover the fog openings with mesh, but have them basically wide open. Should be cheap. Just have that part of track prep. If there are cooling issues on the street, then that's a serious problem that needs to be discussed with Ford.

Jimmy

Pulled the cover over the radiator and got a good look at everything again. The fogs actually sit just outside the area of the radiator. While they would put more air into that area, it wouldn't blow directly through the condenser onto the radiator. The area around the tri-bar pony mainly hits the hood latch area anyway.

The GT grille is actually two pieces and from what we could tell requires pulling the front bumper cover to remove it. The GT grille is actually much more closed off than the Boss in the area directly in front of the radiator. You would have to cut out several spots to achieve the same airflow. The fogs could be left open, but again are not putting air directly onto the radiator.

I think I'm going to give it a go at my next event May 7th/8th and see if it's an issue before worrying about it. I still think gearing was part of the issue. I haven't heard of anyone having issues with cooling on the street.

Getting back to the grille. Here is a pic of the production 302S grilles. Notice the fog openings.

boss-302-build-018.jpg

That's the exact grille I've been looking for, especially since it looks like you can get them painted. Just wanted the actual mesh in the fog openings to bring in more air. Looks like these were shipped as new..... I searched ford racing site but couldn't find it. Help!!! Where do we order these??? ;D

cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Maybe mwilson7 will know. That would go well with the 302S hood.
Exactly. I'd like to try the grille first since it will be much cheaper.....at least it better be ;)
Yep. I think wmilson7 is busy today though....

Looks like the original car didn't have that grill. I wonder if they determined it was needed?

boss302s1.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel