The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Input on next set of track tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Friendsville, TN
I just got my first track day on the Goodyear SC3 on my 2011 GT and I really like them. I have 305/30/19 square but at least on my 19x11 rims they are closer to a 315 in reality. Old tires were RE71. Subjectively they feel very similar to the RE71 to me, which is a good thing. I seem to be a couple seconds quicker on the GY on our local track, went from consistent 1.53s to consistent 1.51s. But tons of variables of course including especially the driver so don't read too much into that. If they hold up okay, I think these are a great do everything HPDE type tire.
Thanks for the info man. That's the same setup I am going to run on my GT350 but I'm having a helluva time finding rubber anywhere. Was going to check on Goodyear SC3's next so this was good to hear.

TX
I just got my first track day on the Goodyear SC3 on my 2011 GT and I really like them. I have 305/30/19 square but at least on my 19x11 rims they are closer to a 315 in reality. Old tires were RE71. Subjectively they feel very similar to the RE71 to me, which is a good thing. I seem to be a couple seconds quicker on the GY on our local track, went from consistent 1.53s to consistent 1.51s. But tons of variables of course including especially the driver so don't read too much into that. If they hold up okay, I think these are a great do everything HPDE type tire.
Standard 3s or the 3Rs?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
RS4s are going to get harder and harder to find, especially in the sizes many need, but keep in mind that Conti/Hoosier will soon have tires out in plenty of sizes for the Endurance Racer and HPDE drivers. Good find now though, and the info will be valuable to know for some at present.

TX
Wow. I don’t think I’ve seen a comparison between the GY3s to RE-71Rs. That’s impressive.
About to run my first set of 3Rs. Excited to see what all the hub bub is about

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks for posting the Grassroots article and it verified what many of us were aware of and since the Bridgerocks are gone, the Michelin and Goodyears show they are the overdogs anyway. Check out Tire Rack on this site , now, as the the new Continental Force 200TWR tires are available and they were designed for the Endurance scene and for active HPDE drivers.

CA
My 2 cents:

I have had the following tires on my S197:

1.) NT01:
Life :4 track days, 2 autocross events and 4800 miles of street driving
Size: (255/45/18 size)

2.) Hankook RS4:
Life: 9(!!!) track days, 3 autocross events and around 2.5k miles of street driving
Size: (255/40/18 size)

3.) Yokohama AO52 (bought used, had been used for 4 track days by a fast driver prior to my purchase)
2 track days, by far the fastest tire I have been on. Corded.

4.) Falken RT660 (315/30/18)
6 track days. I made the mistake of driving to/from the track on these tires. They did not like it. If only driven on track, I think I could have gotten 7-8 events out of these tires. I did not like the way these tires drove. Heat up quick, grip fell off even quicker. Really bad tire for driver development and consistency. This IS a 200tw tire, but needs to be treated as a 100tw "hero" lap time tier IMO. Won't ever buy again.

5.) Nitto NT01 (315/30/18)

3 track events on this setup and so far better than the falken in every way. Faster, more consistent, wearing better. But I also swap them on at the track.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Friendsville, TN
My 2 cents:

I have had the following tires on my S197:

1.) NT01:
Life :4 track days, 2 autocross events and 4800 miles of street driving
Size: (255/45/18 size)

2.) Hankook RS4:
Life: 9(!!!) track days, 3 autocross events and around 2.5k miles of street driving
Size: (255/40/18 size)

3.) Yokohama AO52 (bought used, had been used for 4 track days by a fast driver prior to my purchase)
2 track days, by far the fastest tire I have been on. Corded.

4.) Falken RT660 (315/30/18)
6 track days. I made the mistake of driving to/from the track on these tires. They did not like it. If only driven on track, I think I could have gotten 7-8 events out of these tires. I did not like the way these tires drove. Heat up quick, grip fell off even quicker. Really bad tire for driver development and consistency. This IS a 200tw tire, but needs to be treated as a 100tw "hero" lap time tier IMO. Won't ever buy again.

5.) Nitto NT01 (315/30/18)

3 track events on this setup and so far better than the falken in every way. Faster, more consistent, wearing better. But I also swap them on at the track.
I had pretty much settled on the NT01s but at this point everyone has them on backorder. My Goodyear SC3's are scheduled to be in on Monday!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nashville TN
An interesting note - I ran NCM last weekend, and for a couple of reasons switched wheels and tires for Sunday to 19"x11.5" Signature wheels with 315/30 PS4S tires mounted up. I didn't get many sessions in due to rain, but in a 40 minute mostly dry morning session I was very impressed with the grip. I was actually running significantly faster laps than I had Saturday (due to learning the track, not tire differences) and pushed the tires much harder than I had pushed the 305/30 SC2s the day before and was quite surprised at how well they performed and that they didn't fall off even in a long 40-minute session. For those that know the track I ran 2:28, which isn't crazy fast, but was pulling up to near 1.3Gs which I didn't expect from the PS4S.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Friendsville, TN
An interesting note - I ran NCM last weekend, and for a couple of reasons switched wheels and tires for Sunday to 19"x11.5" Signature wheels with 315/30 PS4S tires mounted up. I didn't get many sessions in due to rain, but in a 40 minute mostly dry morning session I was very impressed with the grip. I was actually running significantly faster laps than I had Saturday (due to learning the track, not tire differences) and pushed the tires much harder than I had pushed the 305/30 SC2s the day before and was quite surprised at how well they performed and that they didn't fall off even in a long 40-minute session. For those that know the track I ran 2:28, which isn't crazy fast, but was pulling up to near 1.3Gs which I didn't expect from the PS4S.
Sounds like they may be a good wet track option!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Friendsville, TN
We will look forward to your input on how they feel at the track!
Short version.......when warmed up they grip like crazy and are super predictable and consistent. They also only made it through 3.5 aggressive track days even with rotating them. 2 days were at Roebling Raceway though and its fast with surface like a cheese grater. lol

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
No love for the Toyo RR?
I think this tire gets easily forgotten. The racers don't like it cause it's comparatively slow and HPDE guys ignore it cause it's not a street tire but hot damn the RR is the best for learning! I would say similar grip and speed to the SC3 (maybe a little slower) but extremely consistent throughout its entire life and probably the cheapest track tire out there at least in a 295/30/19.

And to those of you saying "but I can't drive it on the street to the track"...you shouldn't be wasting your expensive track tires on street miles anyway. You can fit 4 wheels/tires, a jack, and stands in the car.

No love for the Toyo RR?
I think this tire gets easily forgotten. The racers don't like it cause it's comparatively slow and HPDE guys ignore it cause it's not a street tire but hot damn the RR is the best for learning! I would say similar grip and speed to the SC3 (maybe a little slower) but extremely consistent throughout its entire life and probably the cheapest track tire out there at least in a 295/30/19.

And to those of you saying "but I can't drive it on the street to the track"...you shouldn't be wasting your expensive track tires on street miles anyway. You can fit 4 wheels/tires, a jack, and stands in the car.
I've been running NT-01's and 1 set of R888R's last year (got a good deal and availability was tight). I went with RR's this year and have only done 1 weekend, but liked them a lot! I trailer my car and have PS4S's on stock wheels for rain tires.

TMO Supporting Vendors