The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Inside tire wear on front

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a 12 Boss with 25K miles with the original Pirelli tires, DD only. The front tires have inside tire wear, to the cords. I have checked the alignment twice and all is in spec. I am checking with Ford tomorrow to see if they will pro-rate the warranty. Has anyone had any similar problems with these tires?

Like all sports cars, these cars run negative camber up front per factory spec so it is natural that your inside edges have worn down. 25k miles is a LOT to get out of high performance tires on a sports car.

John

Champale said:
Like all sports cars, these cars run negative camber up front per factory spec so it is natural that your inside edges have worn down. 25k miles is a LOT to get out of high performance tires on a sports car.

John
Yes I agree with this. I think 20K out of the stock Pirelli's is pretty good so I'd call it a good day at 25K. Still the tires shouldn't wear that unevenly so I'd look for something out of spec.

I had the same problem, bought some caster camber plates now running -0.5 deg street and -2.0 track camber settings. Steering response is not as crisp with less camber, but it's a trade off I'm willing to make. Would rather spend money on track days than street tires.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Ranger117 said:
Camber caster and toe are almost perfect within a degree of spec.

Anything near factory spec and I think 25k is great mileage on stock P Zero tires. If you want more, I'd suggest reducing the negative camber by 2/3rds or half. Also run 1 to 2 pounds more pressure. Zero out the toe if you can live with the slightly reduced stability.

Ok, here is my alignment readings
Camber
Left -1.0 Right -0.9

Caster
Left 6.8 Right 6.7

Toe
Left 0.09 Right 0.08

Total Toe 0.17

Setting camber to -0.05 might help inside tire wear some. It is not a toe problem because the wear is on the inside one inch only, not feathering across the tire. I am install PSS on all four.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
With Super Sports, I'd just leave the alignment alone. They seem to like a LOT of camber and wear waaaay better than the Pirellis. But that's just a suggestion, since I drive a little differently. ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors