The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Insight on street tire sizing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm planning on pulling the trigger on the 18x10 Apex wheels. For those of you who have run these wheels, have you had any issues at all running a 285/35 tire up front on the street? I want to keep the setup square.

I've had pilot super sports before and I know they run a little wide.

I'm also considering Continental's new replacement for the DW, the extreme contact sport. They say it's comparable to PSS and I run the conti DWS06 all season tire year round and love it so I'm willing to give the Contis a shot too.
Tire rack only shows them as having a 285/40 and not a 285/35. Not a huge problem, 285/40-18 has the same revs per mile as the stock 255/40-19 that's on there now.

But I digress. Any pro tips to this would be phenomenal.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I had 305/35-18 all square with P springs and it fit fine. Just have to be careful with the brake ducts. Tirerack is having a sale on 285/35-18 PSS. Still the street tire of choice. Until the new Pilots come out...... If you where thinking of tracking the car in the future...... I would go with the Apex 18x11's so you have that upgrade ready and don't have to get another set of wheels later.

@Mad Hatter Any track time I do in the foreseeable future is going to be pretty minimal and definitely not competitive as I can't really afford to go hard at the track and risk stuffing my only car.

That being said, I'm not really interested in running an 11" wheel if it requires me to run a spacer and change stud lengths and the like just to get it to bolt up. This is a 25k mile per year street car after all.

Plus they're saying those wheels won't ship until July anyway? That's a long time out.

But yes I did see the sale on the PSS on tire rack. If those tires would work on an 18x10 without issue then that's what I would likely do.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
I would pick up SVE Drifts and run either new contact sports or PSS. They will bolt up no problem at all. A lot of us run those for track. I'm taking my slicks off to get drive to the track tire mounted on them. I hate having to trailer everywhere or carry a small garage when i go and since the wife drives hers as well.

@Mad302 so according to LMRs website, SVE drifts only come in varying glossinesses of black? Eww. You'd literally have to pay me to run black wheels. Obviously this is a subjective matter, but I can't stand black wheels.

As a matter of fact I think the factory brembo wheels on my car are too dark.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Sve are great wheels. Light, robust and very cheap. And look great in black! The 18x10's with 285/35-18's would fit fine upfront and be a good street setup. I have been banging away for 4 years at the track and they are still fine.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
@Mad302 so according to LMRs website, SVE drifts only come in varying glossinesses of black? Eww. You'd literally have to pay me to run black wheels. Obviously this is a subjective matter, but I can't stand black wheels.

As a matter of fact I think the factory brembo wheels on my car are too dark.

You could always have them powder coated.

@Mad Hatter oh I don't have a problem with SVE as a brand. I just strongly dislike black wheels on pretty much anything and everything.

Seems like they only have flat black in 18x10 on LMRs website and to me that's even worse than gloss black cause it just looks like you don't clean your wheels enough. UGH if they made silvers I'd be all over them

@Mad302 yeah... I mean I could. Good powder coating jobs around here are 75-100 a wheel and it seems a little silly to me to invest an extra 50-65% the cost of the wheels just to get them the color I want.

Currently running 285/35/18s on 18x10's with a 46mm offset. No problems at all but I run a 10mm spacer in front so I can run -3.0 degrees of camber on track days. They look a little small in diameter, IMHO, I would prefer 285/40/18's or 295/40/18's.

@Eric62

Yeah I was looking at tires an apparently 285/40-18 is the same diameter as my factory 255/40-19.

The problem is tire rack doesn't show a 285/40 Michelin PSS, but they do show a 285/40 Conti ExtremeContact Sport.

PSS only in 285/35

Sitrep: Purchased a set of 18x10 Forgestar F14's from fellow TMO member @TymeSlayer and now I think I've made a tire selection.

I'm gonna give the new summer Continentals a shot in 285/40-18 to maintain the tire diameter of my factory setup due to MPSS only being available in 285/35.

My winter tire is their recently redesigned DWS06 all-season and I've been extremely pleased with it vs the older DWS. So I'm going to give the redesigned DW, now called the Sport, a whirl.

From what I can gather on them interwebs, the reviews all seem to place this tire right next to the MPSS in terms of ultimate dry grip. I also have a personal friend who is sponsored by Continental and she just got a set on her 525whp GTO and she said she really likes them on the street, which is where this car will mostly live. Granted, she got them for free, but I trust her not to be biased, even if she is a GM girl LOL.

Will let you all know how they feel when I get them. Probably won't actually lay the car on the new setup for a couple of weeks, gotta give this Chicago weather a chance to level out first.

Update!

Got the 285/40 Continentals mounted on the 18x10 F14's. Everything looks great, just gotta take it in and double check the alignment.

Looking for a quick bit of insight here on clearance.

When I fit the wheels to the hubs up front, I wasn't sure exactly how much clearance was required between the tire sidewall and the strut body and that ridiculous stabilizer link stud as I'm not experienced enough to know how much the tire deflects up top there during cornering.

I cut the link studs a bit just to be safe. And I was able to fit my pinky finger between the sidewall and the strut body. I know thats not a good measurement reference, but I was also able to fit a bic pen between them clearly. Not sure exactly how much that is.

I suspect I won't have any issues with it on the street, but I was wondering what kind of clearance you all like to run when on the track where the forces are obviously much greater.

Yeah that's one of the reviews that lead to be deciding on this tire. So far, not being scrubbed in, they seem pretty responsive, I wanna get my alignment double checked and set before I make a determination but so far they seem nice. They don't ride harsh on the street but the steering response seems pretty quick. Not sure how much of that is tire and how much of that is the 40lbs she'd off the whole wheel/tire package.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
Yeah that's one of the reviews that lead to be deciding on this tire. So far, not being scrubbed in, they seem pretty responsive, I wanna get my alignment double checked and set before I make a determination but so far they seem nice. They don't ride harsh on the street but the steering response seems pretty quick. Not sure how much of that is tire and how much of that is the 40lbs she'd off the whole wheel/tire package.

Let's hope it's a combination of both

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel