The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Installed CoolTech Harness Clips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Now I can finally say I have a 6 pt harness system. I installed the CoolTech Harness Clips today (on drivers side) along with custom made sub belts from Schroth (stock design but a longer belt length).

Final Parts List (all bolt-in):
  • Schroth Profi-II 6 pt, 2" lap belts, 2" sub belts custom length, 3" ASM shoulder belts (Hans compatible/approved)
  • Corbeau Harness Bar
  • Cooltech Harness Clips

PS: If they (CoolTech) ever decide to get more harness clips in stock I'll have a 6 pt on the passenger side too.... If you guys are reading this, please answer my emails and call on the ETA for those !

Sub_Belt_2.jpg
Sub_Belt_1.jpg
Harness_Clips_Rear_Both.jpg
Harness_Clips_Drivers_Right_Rear_View.jpg
Harness_Clips_Drivers_Left_Door_View.jpg

Those clips look well designed and executed. When you upgrade to a roll bar keep me in mind for your harness bar. :D

Someone needs to come up with a belt that can be fed through the shoulder holes and run down the back to the clips. It is very no-no with any belts I have seen, but it would be good for just regular track days if there was a belt designed for use that way. Heck I would even be willing to leave the 3 point on under it, and just use it for cornering rather than crashes.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
No clothes with a lot of a kind of configuration. That would be very dangerous because it would help to see the collapse in an accident. You'd be better off just using the 3 point system.

Edit: Looks like the voicerecognition on my Android screwed that up pretty well ;D

No club would allow that kind of configuration. That would be very dangerous because the seat could collapse in an accident. You'd be better off just using the 3 point system.

Yeah I was thinking maybe something with a perforation or however the scroth anti sub 4s do it, so it would snap and you just let the 3 hold you in. I just want a firmer connection to the seat, but without making my car more dangerous. Hence why some belt company would have to design one, but they never would because of liability since it would require having a 3 point under it which most people wouldn't do.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
There is a lock that you could use with the 3-point to provide a little more stability. Are you aware of them ? Not the same as shoulder harnesses but I know some drivers who have used them.

PeteInCT said:
There is a lock that you could use with the 3-point to provide a little more stability. Are you aware of them ? Not the same as shoulder harnesses but I know some drivers who have used them.

CG Lock. I have it, loved it in my Evo. The problem is with the Boss I need to lean the seat waaay back for my helmet to clear and my torso kept coming out of the seat bolsters. Not an issue on the street, but on the track it was pretty bad.

PS: If they (CoolTech) ever decide to get more harness clips in stock I'll have a 6 pt on the passenger side too.... If you guys are reading this, please answer my emails and call on the ETA for those !

Hey Pete,

We have been having supplier issues - still trying to sort the good from the bad. I should have the clips later this week (through manufacturing) and then another day or two to have them plated. Next week should be REAL good as a shipping timeframe.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
CoolTechLLC said:

Hey Pete,

We have been having supplier issues - still trying to sort the good from the bad. I should have the clips later this week (through manufacturing) and then another day or two to have them plated. Next week should be REAL good as a shipping timeframe.

Much appreciated, the sooner the better. My rush was that I have a pro coach session this Saturday with Simon Kirby at LimeRock Park here in CT. The club I am running with has a strict rule that when 2 people are in a car, both driver and passenger must have the same restraint system. I am not sure how strictly they will enfore this for my runs with Simon, I may have to stick with the 4 pt config. Not the end of the world, I've been running 4 pt. with Schroth ASM shoulder harnesses for a while.

CaliMR said:
The problem is with the Boss I need to lean the seat waaay back for my helmet to clear and my torso kept coming out of the seat bolsters. Not an issue on the street, but on the track it was pretty bad.

I had the same issue. I ended up taking the seat out and modifing (cutting and welding) the track/seat mount. Lowered the seat about a 1/2". Made a big difference. Now I can have the seat forward to hold the steering wheel correctly and have tha back of the seat sitting straighter up.

06mach1 said:
CaliMR said:
The problem is with the Boss I need to lean the seat waaay back for my helmet to clear and my torso kept coming out of the seat bolsters. Not an issue on the street, but on the track it was pretty bad.

I had the same issue. I ended up taking the seat out and modifing (cutting and welding) the track/seat mount. Lowered the seat about a 1/2". Made a big difference. Now I can have the seat forward to hold the steering wheel correctly and have tha back of the seat sitting straighter up.

I considered that, but I am probably going to hold off until I retire my dedicated track car and the 4pt goes in the Boss and just swap my bucket over. For many other cars, there are guys selling lowering brackets but the design on this seat from my brief look under it does not look like it would be a simple bracket swap. I had my seat in my Evo down an inch and it was perfect.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
CoolTechLLC said:

Hey Pete,

Guys - any update on availability of these clips ?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
CoolTechLLC said:
Guys - any update on availability of these clips ?

We're (finally) caught up! All back-orders were shipped out yesterday. Many apologies for the delay!

I haven't received an email confirming sale of the second set (I was only charged for 1 set initially). Can you confirm that I was in that batch?

FYI: I ordered a set of clips and two 6 point harnesses from CoolTech in early May. Just got notice my order has shipped.

TMO Supporting Vendors