The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Installed JLT Oil Separator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well this is a must do for sure. I did have a little less then I thought after the amount of oil I have used at other track days but still way to much to be passing into the intake. I will be looking into a 302S setup and just connecting the the two connectors into the can and by-passing the intake all together.

If this can be done there would most likely be no need for the catch can, just a tube from valve cover to valve cover.

Anyway no issues as I can tell without the right PCV. However I am really not sure what I would have been looking for outside of very minor things like idle changes or something like that. There were no signs of power loss or gain and no real change as far as I can tell in throttle response.

5 DOT 0 said:
Scott did you buy the JLT or Moroso? Have fun tomorrow.

JLT, I don't really like the mount of the Moroso.

Ok, I was hesitant to post this, but I want to throw out a recommendation. While at MPH a couple weeks ago I was gridded ready for my session when my throttle started surging. Then the car fell on its face and just about died. I was able to give it some throttle and keep it going. I shut off the car and resarted and again had rough idle. Under throttle it was fine. I went out and ran my session with no issues until back in the paddock at idle again having the same issues. I shut it down and popped the hood. I got a P2195 and P2197 which were the usual O2 sensor and another possibility a bad fuel filter. I dismisssed both as likely causes and started checking lines for vacuum leaks. My first thought was my oil separator so I checked the connection at the PCV and the intake and both were solid. Then I lifted the catch can and the hose fell off on the intake side. The plastic fitting that goes into the can had broken. Luckily I was just suspect enough that I could have an issue that I brought my factory line with me to the track.

JLT seems to stand behind their product and no different in this case. They offered to send me the part, ship it back to them for rebuild or credit my account. I opted to ship it to them for rebuild because I'd like to have the separator on the car. Hopefully I just got a bad one and the replacement will hold together just fine. I'm just telling you all of this as a recommendation to throw your stock line in when you head to the track just in case!

Do you have it back yet? I'm curious to see if they replaced the broken part with another plastic piece or a metal one.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Ok, I was hesitant to post this, but I want to throw out a recommendation. While at MPH a couple weeks ago I was gridded ready for my session when my throttle started surging. Then the car fell on its face and just about died. I was able to give it some throttle and keep it going. I shut off the car and resarted and again had rough idle. Under throttle it was fine. I went out and ran my session with no issues until back in the paddock at idle again having the same issues. I shut it down and popped the hood. I got a P2195 and P2197 which were the usual O2 sensor and another possibility a bad fuel filter. I dismisssed both as likely causes and started checking lines for vacuum leaks. My first thought was my oil separator so I checked the connection at the PCV and the intake and both were solid. Then I lifted the catch can and the hose fell off on the intake side. The plastic fitting that goes into the can had broken. Luckily I was just suspect enough that I could have an issue that I brought my factory line with me to the track.

JLT seems to stand behind their product and no different in this case. They offered to send me the part, ship it back to them for rebuild or credit my account. I opted to ship it to them for rebuild because I'd like to have the separator on the car. Hopefully I just got a bad one and the replacement will hold together just fine. I'm just telling you all of this as a recommendation to throw your stock line in when you head to the track just in case!

Eek. I carry my stock line in my "track box" just in case!

ArizonaGT said:
Eek. I carry my stock line in my "track box" just in case!

Hope you have a radiator cap in there also.

For any that does not know the cap is not re-usable if blown. If you do not have a spare your track day will end at that point.

Hey guys, just an update on the JLT oil separator. They shipped mine back after "rebuilding" it and the service was great. I found out from Drew that they're now using an aluminum fitting on the intake side. I forgot to check mine before going to MPH last weekend, but when I was dumping the oil today I realized I did get the new fitting. Props to JLT for making this right. I'd suggest contacting them for a retrofit if you have the plastic fitting. I'm not sure how they're handling them if they're not broken, but personally I wouldn't trust the plastic after both mine and Drew's failed.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I'm confused as to why both sides aren't aluminum ???

Mine is still sitting in my "drip tray" with some other bits on the bench in my garage. Might send it back in for the "refurb" soon.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Here are a couple pics of the failure mode on mine, cracked on the intake side as well...

LNdCV.jpg

p36vF.jpg

Also a bonus pic of my fiance's "new" Cooper S...perhaps I will get her out to a track day (to drive!) in the next couple months :)

Tlxrq.jpg

Maui
ArizonaGT said:
Here are a couple pics of the failure mode on mine, cracked on the intake side as well...

LNdCV.jpg

p36vF.jpg

Also a bonus pic of my fiance's "new" Cooper S...perhaps I will get her out to a track day (to drive!) in the next couple months :)

Tlxrq.jpg

Nice Mini Cooper.. How long did your oil separator last? I'm assuming you took it to the track a few times... Is JLT going to warranty it? I was thinking about ordering one but might wait if there are problems...

Yes they repaired mine and replaced with the aluminum fitting right away. They'll either have you ship it back or just send you the part. I wanted them to look at the connection to the PCV as well so sent it to them. I had it back in about 10 days from the time I sent it out.

The JLT can has an optional mount for $10. After looking under the hood earlier today I think a good spot to mount it would be to the underside of the strut tower brace. It would take two small sheet metal screws and should clear with no issues. You'd need longer hoses, maybe just on one side, but then it wouldn't just be hanging there. Thoughts of drilling two small holes on the underside of the brace? Here's what the mounts look like. I'd buy the straight one and you can always bend it.

oilseparatormountpassside003.jpg
OilSeparatormount99-04Lightning004.jpg

oilseparator.jpg

I have a couple of questions that aren't JLT specific, but related to this type of system. I noticed in the race cars that it's common to route the passenger side hose all the way around to the driver's side, where it meets at a junction and then goes back to the separator. Is there a reason it doesn't just go directly to the separator? It seems like it would be cleaner packaging. Also, in the photo above, I see what looks like it could be an oil drainback, except that it is at the top of the separator, instead of the bottom.

Just looking for some general understanding. Thanks!

Jimmy

Jimmy Pribble said:
oilseparator.jpg

I have a couple of questions that aren't JLT specific, but related to this type of system. I noticed in the race cars that it's common to route the passenger side hose all the way around to the driver's side, where it meets at a junction and then goes back to the separator. Is there a reason it doesn't just go directly to the separator? It seems like it would be cleaner packaging. Also, in the photo above, I see what looks like it could be an oil drainback, except that it is at the top of the separator, instead of the bottom.

Just looking for some general understanding. Thanks!

Jimmy

The little hose would be connected to a vacuum source. The system need vacuum to suck the gasses out of the crank case. Not sure of the reason for the T, I've seen it installed with one hose from each valve cover going to the can.

I have both the driver side and passenger side catch can from JLT. I met Jay of JLT at VIR a couple weekends ago. He is a really good guy and will take care of any problems anyone has. I am going to send back mine to get them retrofitted with the metal fittings.

I have been considering building a system like the 302s has as well.....

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel