The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Installed JLT Oil Separator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any tricks to installing it? Do you know if Ford Racing makes one?

5 DOT 0 said:
Any tricks to installing it? Do you know if Ford Racing makes one?
It is so unbelievably easy to install. You simply slide back the retaining clip at the cam cover and intake and pull off the factory hose. Reverse the process to install the JLT unit. Took about one minute literally. I have not seen one from Ford Racing, but JLT uses Ford factory hoses and it's incredibly high quality.

adam81 said:
Any particular reason you installed it? What benefits are you hoping to receive from it? Thanks.
There's a significant amount of oil vapor released due to crankcase pressure and then pushed back into your intake to burn it off. The oil can coat your intake fins and lower your octane. Since the Boss tuning allows timing to vary based on octane, it will rob you of power. A friend of mine is running them on both sides on his 5.0. He gets quite a bit of oil in the passenger side can and almost none on the driver's side. These motors seem to burn some oil from what I've been reading. I burned about 1/2 quart early on, but haven't seen the same since it's been broken in, however it is a good idea to check your oil level regularly on these 5.0 motors.

In addition to all of that, Rick talked with someone in the know that recommended it. ;)

Gary a little bird told us to gut the pass side valve (pcv looking thing) or get the PN for the drivers side and use it. ;)

The PCV valve on the PASS side has a little check valve or ball or some other restriction in it. Apparently it is able to be modified by removing this restriction. The benefit is the DRI side will be less likely to puke oil all over the engine compartment. They do this mod on the race cars, but they use a canister on the firewall. Both PCV valves feed into a T that goes to the canister as I recall.

Andy

Fat Boss said:
The PCV valve on the PASS side has a little check valve or ball or some other restriction in it. Apparently it is able to be modified by removing this restriction. The benefit is the DRI side will be less likely to puke oil all over the engine compartment. They do this mod on the race cars, but they use a canister on the firewall. Both PCV valves feed into a T that goes to the canister as I recall.

Andy
Confirmed. ;)

Interesting. As I mentioned a friend wit a 5.0 has had virtually zero oil collect in his driver's side catch can. I wonder if this is a necesary mod for cars driven 20-30 minute sessions versus race cars driven 2-3 hours at a time?

Fat Boss said:
Gary a little bird told us to gut the pass side valve (pcv looking thing) or get the PN for the drivers side and use it. ;)
Is the valve the light blue piece that connects to the hose on the cam cover? Does it just pull out or how do you replace it? P/N for the driver's side? How will changing it to the driver side part # help?

cloud9 said:
Is the valve the light blue piece that connects to the hose on the cam cover? Does it just pull out or how do you replace it? P/N for the driver's side? How will changing it to the driver side part # help?
Unfortunately we didn't get a demo on how to take it apart. He said it takes about 10 minutes so it can't be too difficult. The connector from the drivers side doesn't have the valve and might be the way to go in case you want to replace the original on the passenger side. Maybe PTRocks can find the part number since he seems to have access to that info.

TMO Supporting Vendors