The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Installed Metra Touchscreen Dash Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was getting tired of the lack of sound coming out of our stock Boss so I replaced it with it with Alpine speakers, Alpine sub woofer, Alpine amplifier, and Pioneer receiver. Now have XM radio, HD radio, DVD/CD, and bluetooth. Had to replace the dash with the Metra touchscreen kit so I could fit the 6.1 screen. i was not too fond of all the dials and buttons on the stock dash as I like mine plain. Most may not like this since it is plain but it suits me. My son was watching Top Gun when I took the pics. Sorry they are bad with the camera phone but the DVD screen is very clear but does not reflect with the pics.

IMG_0559_zps5dc38daa.png
IMG_0554_zpse3768786.jpg
IMG_0545_zps891e6e43.jpg

Nice work. You should post up links to what you purchased as you KNOW members will ask. ;)

NFSBOSS said:
Nice work. You should post up links to what you purchased as you KNOW members will ask. ;)

Items purchased:

Metra 99-5826 Touchscreen Dash Kit
Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS 2 DIN DVD/CD/Bluetooth/HD/Pandora
Alpine PDX-V9 5 channel power density digital amplifier
Alpine SBR-S83V 8" single ported enclosure with type R subwoofer
Alpine SPR-68 6X8 Speakers (4)
Sirius XM Tuner SXV200V1
Metra Axxess XSVI Harness Output and sub plug
Microbypass parking brake by pass

All purchased off Ebay and Amazon. Saved over $700 purchasing this way. Saw and tested everything i wanted at the local audio store then went shopping on-line.

I thought that was a Scosche with out the buttons at first. I didn't realize Metra make's one now. I have the original Metra with out the touch screen, wanted to swap to the Scosche but it put my radio down even further, so I sent it back. I wish there was a radio and kit that reversed the HVAC and radio positions, wouldn't have to look as far down from the road. Nice setup, now your Boss will sound good inside and out.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I wouldn't mind having that setup in my DD - very nice. I like the clean button and dial-less look!

-Pete

Justin said:
looks nice. how bright is it at night? does the HVAC controls dim with the headlights coming on?

The brightness can be set to the desired level. There is a button to increase or decrease brightness. The car lights coming on has no play in how bright the HVAC display is.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I used to be really into car audio many years ago but am totally out of the loop. Do all of these components pretty much play-and-play via well defined and standardized interfaces ?

-Pete

PeteInCT said:
I used to be really into car audio many years ago but am totally out of the loop. Do all of these components pretty much play-and-play via well defined and standardized interfaces ?

-Pete

I'll assume you mean plug and play. Yes. Are they are not universal, no, but manufacture specific. The dash kits work on the data bus so everything does do what it's supposed to do. I just wish they would integrate climate control, how hard could it be.

I also got tired of the stereo in the Boss. In addition to replacing the factory speakers with some JL Audio C5-525x component speakers, I installed an Alpine INE-Z928HD Navigation receiver with the Alpine Perfect Fit Kit. The Climate Control screen, I think, was OEM'd by Scoshe. The screen on the Alpine is huge at 8". It comes with the navigation, DVD/CD player, and HD Tuner built in as well as a Bluetooth module. I added the Sirius Module. here are some shots of the unit.

The factory console, radio, and display unit actually weighed more the Alpine head unit and perfect fit kit. I will probably add an amplifier, but the head unit sounds pretty good as is.

If you are going to install an amplifier, you should probably replace the factory battery and go with an AGM type. I am using the DEKA Intimidator model 9A34R. You can go with an Optima Yellow Top #8012-021, but the terminal polarities are reversed on the battery and the battery cables are too short to fit it. You have to use REMY battery cable extenders or replace your existing battery cables. I posted some photos of the extenders in another section here regarding "Battery Discharge".

IMG_2849_zps02c7db7f.jpg ][/img]

IMG_2851_zps5f4d677e.jpg ][/img]

IMG_2852_zpsd2e277fe.jpg
][/img]

IMG_2855_zps777f714f.jpg ][/img]

johnnyC604 said:
I also got tired of the stereo in the Boss. In addition to replacing the factory speakers with some JL Audio C5-525x component speakers, I installed an Alpine INE-Z928HD Navigation receiver with the Alpine Perfect Fit Kit. The Climate Control screen, I think, was OEM'd by Scoshe. The screen on the Alpine is huge at 8". It comes with the navigation, DVD/CD player, and HD Tuner built in as well as a Bluetooth module. I added the Sirius Module. here are some shots of the unit.

The factory console, radio, and display unit actually weighed more the Alpine head unit and perfect fit kit. I will probably add an amplifier, but the head unit sounds pretty good as is.

If you are going to install an amplifier, you should probably replace the factory battery and go with an AGM type. I am using the DEKA Intimidator model 9A34R. You can go with an Optima Yellow Top #8012-021, but the terminal polarities are reversed on the battery and the battery cables are too short to fit it. You have to use REMY battery cable extenders or replace your existing battery cables. I posted some photos of the extenders in another section here regarding "Battery Discharge".

IMG_2849_zps02c7db7f.jpg ][/img]

IMG_2851_zps5f4d677e.jpg ][/img]

IMG_2852_zpsd2e277fe.jpg
][/img]

IMG_2855_zps777f714f.jpg ][/img]

Sweet. Looks very nice.

Deka batteries are high quality, they are used by a lot cellphone company's that need deep cycle batteries for backup power at their sites, they can take a lot of abuse over 5 year period and still load test like new. BTW the stereo looks nice, it just sucks trying to navigate with the screen down that low. If I had to do it over I would have save the coin on the nav part and bought a garmin to start with. That's what I'm using now, it's safer.

johnnyC604 said:

what did the mounting kit, head unit, and speakers set you back? I probably wont upgrade soon...but that looks fantastic. Do you still have full functionality (including steering wheel controls)?

TMO Supporting Vendors