The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Installed some new mods on my Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss3o2

JScheier said:
Nice2BEtheBOSS said:
How's the ground clearance on the car now that it sits lower? Any issues with the side pipes scrapping on speedbumps and driveways?

Heck with side-pipes, how about the transmission cooler / scoop?

I have put about 500 miles on the setup, so far. I guess the real test, is at the next open track event. However, as far as street driving abilities. I have yet to scrape the LS splitter, trans scoop and the car does not rub at all. Even with the steering wheel at full lock, while accelerating. My Acura NSX is about 2 inches off the ground, and just about every car I have owned, was lowered. So I am used to it. :)

Boss3o2

300AGT said:
Hello looking at your lower control arm angle i think you miss a part . You mite want to put these on to fix the lower control arm angle http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-lca-relocation-bracket-0512.html I ran some BRM lower control arm relocation brackets when i was running my steeda sport springs.

I ordered Ford Racing re-location brackets, to try out. Thanks for the link.

Boss3o2

4dRacer said:
so how much did the whole setup cost you?

Due to the amount of PM's I have been receiving. I sent an email over to Jamie Allison (Ford Racing), and CC'd my old V.P over at Eibach, to see if we can get a group buy/support for the Boss Mustang community.

I was thinking if we can get 15 people on a list, so you guys can get even better pricing then I did. I got 30% back of list. However keep in mind, the Boss 302S spring kit consists of 2 different Ford Racing kits, and the shocks are Valved differently. So this will also allow you to get exactly what you need, as I did.

If you're interested in adding your name to this list, send me a PM or Email.

This will be for these Ford Racing parts, which you can get all together, or seperately (for those looking to just lower there car, with the lowering springs).

Boss 302S F.R Coil Springs - Lowers 1.5" Fr. 1.8" Rr

Boss 302S F.R Mono-tube Front and Rear Adjustable Dampners & GT500 Top Hats

Boss 302R F.R 4130 Adjustable Rear Panhard bar

Boss 302S F.R Adjustable Front and Rear Swaybars, and Billet/Delrin Bushings

Email: [email protected]

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Boss3o2 said:
4dRacer said:
so how much did the whole setup cost you?

Due to the amount of PM's I have been receiving. I sent an email over to Jamie Allison (Ford Racing), and CC'd my old V.P over at Eibach, to see if we can get a group buy/support for the Boss Mustang community.

I was thinking if we can get 15 people on a list, so you guys can get even better pricing then I did. I got 30% back of list. However keep in mind, the Boss 302S spring kit consists of 2 different Ford Racing kits, and the shocks are Valved differently. So this will also allow you to get exactly what you need, as I did.

This will be for these Ford Racing parts, which you can get all together, or seperately (for those looking to just lower there car, with the lowering springs).

What was the total list price on this setup ?

Boss3o2 said:

Will the 302s coil springs work with the stock 302 shocks/dampers? Was the rear panhard bar easy to adjust?

Thank you

Boss3o2 said:
300AGT said:
Hello looking at your lower control arm angle i think you miss a part . You mite want to put these on to fix the lower control arm angle http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-lca-relocation-bracket-0512.html I ran some BRM lower control arm relocation brackets when i was running my steeda sport springs.

Eric,

What's the purpose of the re-location brackets? Also, what are the benefits of the GT500 top hats? Thanks

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Nice2BEtheBOSS said:
Boss3o2 said:
300AGT said:

Eric,

What's the purpose of the re-location brackets? Also, what are the benefits of the GT500 top hats? Thanks
A vehicles "Instant Center" determines it's ability to transfer weight properly upon acceleration. The angle of the upper and lower control arms produces an intersect point that initiates this weight transfer. With fixed control arm mounting points, it is not possible to tune this instant center position in the chassis. BMR control arm relocation brackets provide additional rear mounting holes that allow you to alter the instant center by varying the control arm angles. This mod is recommended for any type of racing and should also be performed if the vehicle is lowered to correct the rear suspension geometry. Mounting hardware included. NOTE: It is necessary to weld the brackets in place if the vehicle will be drag raced.

Boss3o2

PeteInCT said:
What was the total list price on this setup ?

List price was something like 1800 for everything. Thats list, which I got a discount off of.

ihatepotholess said:
Will the 302s coil springs work with the stock 302 shocks/dampers? Was the rear panhard bar easy to adjust?

Thank you

Yes, they sure will. I have another brand new set. If you want them, they're yours. I paid 292.00 for them. So cover that, and whatever it cost to ship.

Nice2BEtheBOSS said:
Eric,

The re-location brackets, correct the LCA angle, which in theory gives more travel to the supsension. The car feels fine without them, however I am trying to optimize and replicate the Boss 302S suspensiont to a T. :)

This looks like the kit to me.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2005_2012_MUSTANG_GT_ADJUSTABLE_FR3_HANDLING_PACK_p/m-fr3-mgtaa.htm

And comes with these springs for a 1" drop compared to a GT.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/Ford_Racing_Mustang_GT_1_Inch_Lowering_Springs_p/m-5300-p.htm

For the 1.5" drop you use these springs.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/Ford_Racing_Mustang_GT_1_5_Inch_Lowering_Springs_p/m-5300-k.htm

Read an article here.

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/wheels-tires/turning-our-2011-gt-into-a-corner-carver-with-frpp-and-falken/

5 DOT 0 said:

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2005_2012_MUSTANG_GT_ADJUSTABLE_FR3_HANDLING_PACK_p/m-fr3-mgtaa.htm

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/Ford_Racing_Mustang_GT_1_Inch_Lowering_Springs_p/m-5300-p.htm

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/Ford_Racing_Mustang_GT_1_5_Inch_Lowering_Springs_p/m-5300-k.htm

Read an article here.

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/wheels-tires/turning-our-2011-gt-into-a-corner-carver-with-frpp-and-falken/

Thanks for the info! I don't understand why a person would recommend BOSS 302S springs but doesn't answer any questions on how to get them...

Nice2BEtheBOSS said:
5 DOT 0 said:

Read an article here.

Thanks for the info! I don't understand why a person would recommend BOSS 302S springs but doesn't answer any questions on how to get them...
I'd still hold off until we find out if Ford Racing is coming out with Boss springs. I'm not sure that kit is that much better than what we have already other than lowering the car.

Boss3o2 said:

OK I'm not an engineer, but in Section 6 on page 12 of the "BOSS 302S Owner's Manual" it states;

Dampers

The base 2-way dampers are manufactured by SACH. These were originally used on the FR500S and were retuned
for the Boss 302S.

The Optional 3 way dampers are Dynamics manufactured by Multimatic, these are uniquely tuned to the Boss 302S.

So the "BOSS 302S F.R Mono-tube Front and Rear Adjustable Dampners" are the SACH pieces?

If this is right then you will also need these parts among others;

MUSTANG REAR UPPER SHOCK MOUNT, M-18197-A

MUSTANG CASTER ADJUSTER, M-3052-R1

CASTER/CAMBER PLATE, FR500S, M-18183-B (This is also used on the BOSS 302S)

The biggest problem using a rear coilover in the weight of the car is now on the shock mount which is non-load bearing. In order to make it load bearing Ford Racing has Watson Engineering weld in a FIA approved cage that ties in the rear of the car and distributes the load though the cage..........

So what are you trying to get together?

Eric.......I met you today at the Knott's event. Your car is awesome and has the stance that I am looking for. We spoke about the MGW shifter.........let me know the availability of the lowering kit. Thanks

Boss3o2

Nice2BEtheBOSS said:

Because, this was not intent of my original post. However, I clearly stated I have no problem with those interested and offered my services, and would love to contribute to the BMO community. I don't lurk this website, as much as I probably should. Sorry..

As I mentioned previously. Eibach is a private label company for Ford Racing. This is not something offered to the public, but again something I will try and make possible for those interested. I do not plan to publicly post part numbers, or sales information, so that there is no conflict of interests to be started...

My email is better way of getting a hold of me.

[email protected]

5 DOT 0 said:
I'd still hold off until we find out if Ford Racing is coming out with Boss springs. I'm not sure that kit is that much better than what we have already other than lowering the car.

Before anyone takes this wrong way, let me say, the BOSS is one great car in factory format. I have already listed the immediate obvious gains with this suspension combo (less brake dive, and body roll). You're welcome to do whatever you want to your Boss, but don't assume things, based purely off your analogy. We used Paul Brown's Boss 302S for Sema, 2 yrs. ago. I know the suspension on that car, very well. There is A LOT of improvements that can be made to the Boss 302 (just like any car, including the originals). Thanks to the passionate enthusiasts at Ford - we got the best of the best Boss 302 Street Cars (hence the Base and LS options), that Ford could provide within there budget, and EPA legalities.

Eric
[email protected]

Boss3o2

302 Gordon said:
Eric.......I met you today at the Knott's event. Your car is awesome and has the stance that I am looking for. We spoke about the MGW shifter.........let me know the availability of the lowering kit. Thanks

Hey Gordon,

Great shaking hands with you as well. Give me a call, or an email, and we'll talk. :)

Eric

Boss3o2 said:
As I mentioned previously. Eibach is a private label company for Ford Racing. This is not something offered to the public, but again something I will try and make possible for those interested.

We used Paul Brown's Boss 302S for Sema, 2 yrs. ago. I know the suspension on that car, very well. T

Eric
[email protected]

Are you saying that the shocks and springs you put on your car are from a per- production / prototype Boss 302S? Like Boss_302 said the production 2012 Boss 302S came with either Sachs 2-way or Dynamics 3-way adjustable coilovers front and rear. They cost 4-6K alone.

I maybe interested in your setup if the street ride is not to harsh.

Boss3o2

BossJockey said:
Are you saying that the shocks and springs you put on your car are from a per- production / prototype Boss 302S? Like Boss_302 said the production 2012 Boss 302S came with either Sachs 2-way or Dynamics 3-way adjustable coilovers front and rear. They cost 4-6K alone.

I maybe interested in your setup if the street ride is not to harsh.

No, I am saying this is the setup/specs that used on the Boss 302S cars - as I requested. Its all Ford Racing product, but made by other MFG's (I.E - Private Label). The ride is exact to my LS stock suspension. No bump steer, bottoming out etc. Only downfall, is having to go even slower up driveways.....

But the gains, and looks - make it all, well worth it.

Eric

TMO Supporting Vendors