The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Installed some new mods on my Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss3o2

Just purchased my 2012 Boss 302 LS, and have already got the itch for some subtle mods. This car is so fantastic in stock form, I was very picky about what goes on it.

I love the stance of the Boss 302S race car, so I opted for Ford Racing's suspension package. Mainly because of the R&D that has went into the Boss 302S program. This consisted of Mono-tube Adjustable Tokico Dampners, Boss 302S FR Coil Springs, Camber Adj. Bolts, and the stronger GT500 Top Mounts/Pillow Mounts.

Also installed an 4130 Chromoly Boss 302R rear adjustable Pan-hard bar.

I took the car over to Pruetts Custom Alignment Shop, who specializes in corner balancing and lowered vehicles, for an alignment. The car feels even more amazing now. Plus, it got rid of the huge fender gap and it did not sacrifice any ride comfortability. I am very happy with the results. I have some new wheels, and Toyo R888's coming. Can't wait to get her out on the track. I have full detailed pics, of the install. If anyone is interested.

Before pics (Stock Suspension)
bossbeforestance.jpg

After
bosssideaftershocts.jpg

bossl1.jpg

bossrearl1.jpg

bossaftershotsfront.jpg

Some comparison photos.
bosstsocksusp34.jpg

bosshsocks.jpg

Stock Boss 302 Top Hats
bossfrsh4.jpg

New GT500 Top Hats
bossfrfsh3.jpg

bossalspec1.jpg

bosslssusfr1.jpg

I also installed a Corsa Xtreme Axle-Back Exhaust, to get a little more sound and lose a little weight. Sounds great, and there is no "drone" with this exhaust at all. :)
corsaxtreme.jpg

Looks terrific. I'm curious why you didn't go with camber plates? Are those the San Gabriel mountains in the background?

Boss3o2

5 DOT 0 said:
Looks terrific. I'm curious why you didn't go with camber plates? Are those the San Gabriel mountains in the background?

Thanks. My track buddies over at Pruett and I didn't feel it was necessary with the setup I have, and the specs I was going for.

cloud9 said:
Looks great. I'll be anxious to hear your track review. Did you get it on the track in stock form for comparison?

Thanks. Yes, I have tracked several friends Boss 302 (Both Base, and LS). Some of the key benefits so far, is there no more body roll and less nose dive from the car. I think the shocks alone, are a nice improvement over the Boss factory units. I will update this thread, with feedback from the track.

Boss3o2

PeteInCT said:
So much for no more changes this year for me... DAMN !!! ;D

lol, Sorry!
5 DOT 0 said:
How much lower is the front and rear?

1.5" Front, and 1.8" Rear

KYBOSSLS said:
WOW, stance is great...we have the same car, but your's is bad a$$$$

Thanks! These cars are killer in stock form.

2012YellowBoss said:
Wow, looks great.

Thank you, Sir!

Boss3o2 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
Looks great. I'll be anxious to hear your track review. Did you get it on the track in stock form for comparison?

Thanks. Yes, I have tracked several friends Boss 302 (Both Base, and LS). Some of the key benefits so far, is there no more body roll and less nose dive from the car. I think the shocks alone, are a nice improvement over the Boss factory units. I will update this thread, with feedback from the track.

If you have any lap time comparisons that would be really helpful. How is the streetability and NVH compared to stock? Did you add a bumpsteer kit or change ball joints to correct roll center with that much drop in front? Sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to sort through all the things I ran into when modding the GT500 suspension. The Boss is so good from the factory I just want to make sure I know the pros and cons before tinkering with the suspension.

The car looks so much better without that huge gap in the rear. For me, this was a big eye sore for the Boss. If I may ask, how much did the suspension package cost? Also, could you post more side profile pictures of the car? Thank you!

5 DOT 0 said:
Nice2BEtheBOSS said:
The car looks so much better without that huge gap in the rear. For me, this was a big eye sore for the Boss. If I may ask, how much did the suspension package cost? Also, could you post more side profile pictures of the car? Thank you!
Or better yet WHICH suspension package did you purchase?

Yes! Good Question!

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
M-5300 L = 1.25" drop
M-5300 P = 1.00" drop

Both of these are tied to the handling package for V8 Mustangs. I haven't found any spring rates for these. Maybe Mark Wilson can assist?

Boss3o2

cloud9 said:
Boss3o2 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:

If you have any lap time comparisons that would be really helpful. How is the streetability and NVH compared to stock? Did you add a bumpsteer kit or change ball joints to correct roll center with that much drop in front? Sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to sort through all the things I ran into when modding the GT500 suspension. The Boss is so good from the factory I just want to make sure I know the pros and cons before tinkering with the suspension.

Yes, forgot to mention that I did add Steedas Bump Steer, and Roll Center Ball Joint Kits. Although personally I do not believe they are needed for 1.5 inch drop.

Nice2BEtheBOSS said:

Thanks, and I took some extra shots just for you. :)

I got the suspension at industry pricing. If anyone here is interested, feel free to PM me and I will get the same for you.

5 DOT 0 said:
Nice2BEtheBOSS said:
Or better yet WHICH suspension package did you purchase?

Its all Ford Racing stuff. Particulary the spec springs used on the Boss 302S program cars. Which consists of two different kit springs.

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
Very cool! Do you have a part number for the camber bolts? From your picture it looks like camber would be easily changeable at the track. Is that true?

Not off hand, I dont. I will work on getting the number for you.

JScheier said:
M-5300 L = 1.25" drop
M-5300 P = 1.00" drop

Both of these are tied to the handling package for V8 Mustangs. I haven't found any spring rates for these. Maybe Mark Wilson can assist?

Don't base the numbers off the springs. These are "Spec" springs from the Boss 302S program (1.5 Fr. 1.8 Rear). I know Mark Wilson as well, and have conversated with him about the Boss 302 a lot. I used to be the Marketing Mgr. for Eibach Springs. Eibach is the private label MFG. for Ford Racing springs. Since the Boss 302S springs are consisted of Two Different Kit springs, fortunately I was able to get exactly what I needed. Again, if anyone would like a set. Feel free to PM myself.

808Boss said:
That's a great mod! I love the look. Great, more $$$ to spend...

Well worth both the Function, and looks. As I mentioned previously. For people that would like to improve the suspension. I would recommend changing out the factory Boss Shocks, and installing a set of FR ADJ. Tokicos. They are a big improvement over the factory 5 way adj. units. We put both the stock Boss shocks, and the new FR. Tokicos on the Shock Dyno and measured the shocks resistances. In which the Tokicos were far superior, to the factory Boss units. I will try and get the graphs from the R&D manager to post up.

Great thanks for doing all the research. I'm sure I'll be in touch to get all the specific parts. I just need a few track days this spring to establish a new baseline of lap times after all the winter mods.

TMO Supporting Vendors