The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

installing a roll cage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Searched over the net and located a cage to fit my vehicle, found one at summit racing

I was able to borrow a rotisserie to make things easier, I welded up all the seams on the chassis to make it stronger. To be sure a chassis plate would have been the preferred method of installing the cage, so that you are positive the car is flat, but we made do with the rotisserie and a lot of levels.

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

I received the cage from Summit racing, here’s what it looked like out of the box.

DSC_0067.jpg

Holes were drilled in the floor and then 1/8 inch plates were installed, the reason for the holes will be apparent later. Then the tubing was “tack welded” onto the plates. Straps were used to hold the tubing in place during this process.

DSC_0074.jpg

Once the cage was tacked together, the 1/8 plates were removed and the cage dropped through the floor in order to weld the tops of the bars.

DSC_0077.jpg

Then the cage was raised back up, the plates reinstalled and gussets added.

DSC_0081.jpg

Tabs were then added to attached from the cage to the “A” and “B” pillars to strengthen the entire body of the car.

DSC_0083.jpg

The details were added and the entire structure painted in a green self- etching primer.

DSC_0095.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors