The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Installing the Transmission Cooling Scoop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

jeepinocala said:
Played around on the way home today 22 miles and it did not get very hot at all so I am not adding this.

It primarily becomes an issue on hot rack days after a couple hours of hard racing. hot trans fluid can lead to mis-shifts so keeping it cooler is key in that environment, especially if you're really racing. It's not really intended for playing around on the way home. ;)

It seems as though you would need to remove the scoop every time you need to change the oil, as it blocks the drain plug. Not a big deal but kind of a PITA, and eventually you probably should replace the locknuts. Or maybe I am just installing this thing backwards and upside down? :-\

Sesshomurai

Bossman2012 said:
It seems as though you would need to remove the scoop every time you need to change the oil, as it blocks the drain plug. Not a big deal but kind of a PITA, and eventually you probably should replace the locknuts. Or maybe I am just installing this thing backwards and upside down? :-\

I have the quickvalve installed and will be testing it this weekend with the trans cooler installed. hopefully it doesn't have to be removed.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
You don't need to remove the tranny cooler when changing the oil but you will need to wipe it all down unless you use a flexible funnel to protect it before you pull the oil drain plug. The oil will shoot directly onto the edge of the scoop.

As for 'needing' the tranny cooler, I highly doubt Ford would have invested the time/money in it unless it had some benefit. It's not the type of item a car manufacturer would add just to say that they have one as to impact sales. That said, I believe that benefit only is seen if the car is tracked. IMHO, ,n the street the temps don't get hot enough and the amount of airflow is too limited for it to be beneficial.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
PeteInCT said:
You don't need to remove the tranny cooler when changing the oil but you will need to wipe it all down unless you use a flexible funnel to protect it before you pull the oil drain plug. The oil will shoot directly onto the edge of the scoop.

As for 'needing' the tranny cooler, I highly doubt Ford would have invested the time/money in it unless it had some benefit. It's not the type of item a car manufacturer would add just to say that they have one as to impact sales. That said, I believe that benefit only is seen if the car is tracked. IMHO, ,n the street the temps don't get hot enough and the amount of airflow is too limited for it to be beneficial.
from actual street driving the amount of heat that is reduced from long trips is beneficial. The less heat you have in the trans at all times be it full bore or highway cruising will only aid into the life of the transmission and the life of the trans fluid. To say its only useful for "the Track" I just dont find to be true.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Do you know "how much heat is reduced" when cruising at normal highway speeds? I fully agree that having it on cannot hurt at all, I just do not believe in the least that there is any temperature differential that could be correlated into a real benefit for the transmission when the internals are loafing along at 65 - 70 MPH. I'm not suggesting that someone should leave it off unless they have issues with clearance for street use.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
PeteInCT said:
Do you know "how much heat is reduced" when cruising at normal highway speeds? I fully agree that having it on cannot hurt at all, I just do not believe in the least that there is any temperature differential that could be correlated into a real benefit for the transmission when the internals are loafing along at 65 - 70 MPH. I'm not suggesting that someone should leave it off unless they have issues with clearance for street use.
seeing how I dont have a trans temp gauge I cant answer that question. but I do know from driving over a 100 miles that the shifter below the handle would get pretty warm prior to installing the scoop and that was in the march. Now with it on it stays nice and cool. I think any lowering in temps in the transmission that only holds 3 qts is very benificial even if its only 5 degrees.

The base bosses (non LS) do not come with the scoop from the factory its an aftermarket affair

Open up the whole fog light housing, instead of just the light hole, and run a 2nd larger hose (or one from each side) to the tranny.

I am hoping that after I install it I don't have any "high center" clearance issues with loading on my trailer. Anyone have any trailer issues with the trans scoop? Featherlite's are low but I still don't know why they don't dovetail their trailers.

bossontrailer.jpg

fbbob96 said:
CaliMR said:
Open up the whole fog light housing, instead of just the light hole, and run a 2nd larger hose (or one from each side) to the tranny.
Have you done this? I have my fog light covers off,but thats it.

No, I haven't installed the brake ducts yet. I haven't looked behind the housing to see whether it is obstructed or looked at routing the hoses but it seems like it should work to me, and a little work with some fiberglass could make a decent looking 2 hole panel. Heat sinks could also be added to the trans once there is air flow... though I'm not sure any of this would even help with the issues I am having. And I am keeping my Boss a street car, I have a beat up track car already, so I probably won't do more than the regular brake ducts for occasional track days.

Fastduo said:
I am hoping that after I install it I don't have any "high center" clearance issues with loading on my trailer. Anyone have any trailer issues with the trans scoop? Featherlite's are low but I still don't know why they don't dovetail their trailers.
You'll be fine. Many members have the scoop and trailer their cars with no issues.

TMO Supporting Vendors