The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Installing the Transmission Cooling Scoop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It can be done easily without even using a jack, wheels on the ground, if you have the right size ratcheting box wrench. IIRC clearance was an issue with a socket, since I only had a long socket in the size. I actually let my 13 year old nephew do it because he loves cars and has skinny arms to fit under there ;D

Sesshomurai

I can't even get my head under the car without ramps.... :'(

The trailing edge of my scoop seemed to be loaded up against the trans when I installed it. I noted I would hear it 'ringing' whenever I hit a bump or even when I closed the door. Added a strip of thick hi temp duct tape on the edge that was contacting the trans and noise went away.

Mine scraped one time, on a deep dip I had to swerve into because some idiot stepped out into the street in front of me. I have not had any other issues, but I do try to hit them at an angle because I am used to a lower car.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
CaliMR said:
I don't think it is supposed to be touching like that, I will check next time the car comes out.

You're correct--it should not be touching. The proper gap when installed is very small at the rear, however, maybe about 1/4".

Sesshomurai

jeepinocala said:
How much lower is the trans scoop?

Lower than the cross bar it replaces? Probably 2" or so. When I get under to do my oil change I'll measure.

jeepinocala said:
When installed is the trans scoop the lowest point of the car?
The wheels are. The scoop is the second lowest. ;)

_W1D8197.jpg

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
IMO it's not needed for street or strip. I've scraped mine several times on peaked driveways and speed bumps.
I put one on mine as the shifter and trans itself just got way to hot for the short 20mile drive home. since its in the shifter atleast feels cooler. But I think you are right probably doesnt do anything. I do like it for longer drives. figure that trans can use all the help it can get

TMO Supporting Vendors