The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Instructor Killed at Exotic Driving Experience at Walt Disney World

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
Another tragic incident. RIP

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — For fans of speed, the Exotic Driving Experience at Walt Disney World offers a heart-pounding thrill.
People who drive minivans during the week can settle in behind the wheel of a Ferrari, a Porsche or another one of the fastest, most finely engineered cars in the world and hurtle around a track at up to 120 mph with a professional driving instructor offering advice from the passenger seat. The cost: $200 to $440.

The customers are just pretending to be race car drivers, but the danger is real.

TaVon Watson chose a Lamborghini on Sunday for his 24th-birthday thrill ride. With instructor Gary Terry by his side, they raced around the one-mile course until Watson lost control of the sports car and slammed into a guardrail, killing 36-year-old Terry.

"It's not the kid's fault. It's a freak thing that happened," said Timothy Horvath, a Terry family friend. As for Terry, "if he thought he was in any danger, he wouldn't have done it."

Fomoco302 said:
Another tragic incident. RIP

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — For fans of speed, the Exotic Driving Experience at Walt Disney World offers a heart-pounding thrill.
People who drive minivans during the week can settle in behind the wheel of a Ferrari, a Porsche or another one of the fastest, most finely engineered cars in the world and hurtle around a track at up to 120 mph with a professional driving instructor offering advice from the passenger seat. The cost: $200 to $440.

The customers are just pretending to be race car drivers, but the danger is real.

TaVon Watson chose a Lamborghini on Sunday for his 24th-birthday thrill ride. With instructor Gary Terry by his side, they raced around the one-mile course until Watson lost control of the sports car and slammed into a guardrail, killing 36-year-old Terry.

"It's not the kid's fault. It's a freak thing that happened," said Timothy Horvath, a Terry family friend. As for Terry, "if he thought he was in any danger, he wouldn't have done it."

More and more makes me less willing to become an instructor. I doubt though I would get in a Lambo with a 24 year old with no experience.

Brandon302 said:
More and more makes me less willing to become an instructor. I doubt though I would get in a Lambo with a 24 year old with no experience.

point 1: Agree that props should go to instructors. Especially qualified instructors. I only mention that because with some of the groups at the track, I'm alarmed by how poorly-trained some 'instructors' are.
point 2: every track is dangerous, but I agree that some are way too dangerous to be doing beginner events at. Out here, the two closest tracks to me are Laguna Seca and Sonoma...both are pretty dangerous.
point 3: safety equipment in the car. One of the reasons I encourage people to go to driving schools (especially to start) versus taking their own car to the track is safety equipment. Most cars just aren't properly prepped (and nor are the drivers).

I've right-seated / 'instructed' a few times and decided I'd never do it again except in the proper situation. Guys show up at these events never having read a book, watched a video, nothing as it related to driving, jump in a fast car on a dangerous track and want me to sit in the passenger seat in a 3-point belt / no HANS / no roll structure / no fire suppression...nothing...no way.

fuhrius said:
I've right-seated / 'instructed' a few times and decided I'd never do it again except in the proper situation. Guys show up at these events never having read a book, watched a video, nothing as it related to driving, jump in a fast car on a dangerous track and want me to sit in the passenger seat in a 3-point belt / no HANS / no roll structure / no fire suppression...nothing...no way.
I've only right seated with people I know but I have no desire to become an instructor for your exact reasons. This wasn't a HPDE is was just pay for a few hot laps in a stupid fast car.

Really sad to hear about another instructor passing.

NFSBOSS said:
This wasn't a HPDE is was just pay for a few hot laps in a stupid fast car.

ya, sorry, had been reading the other thread about the Summit crash then connected to this one...then posted in the wrong thread.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Apparently, they run that track both CW and CCW and the safety barriers weren't really setup for that. That needs to change asap.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel