The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Instructors - what kind of communicators are you running?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
new to instructing here. I’m running a cheaper chatterbox 2 and as long as i can keep it together, it works ok (glue the ear piece in occasionally). Anywho, i got placed in a gutted turbo miata with out much for a muffler and discovered it doesnt work well at high speeds/high rpm. When i took my student out in my car with factory mufflers, we could talk fine. I had to resort to hand signals on straight aways and even some fast corners

I did instructors school with a guy who bought something that day off the discovery parts wagon - bigger plugs is all i can remember honestly, and in his pretty loud e46, it wasnt really loud enough and we switched to my chatterbox and he just took longer gears.

So what’s the secret sauce for communicators?

Sorry, Duane...Had my Boss out today...As long as my right foot and left foot know what to do there's a smile on my face...you may be own your own here...:rolleyes:..BTW, How did you get so many likes in a week???? You must have your own fan club.

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Duane
I have the same Chatterbox (Not Bob) that I use. Yes, I have had issues with the ear pieces coming unglued. Student comms, one piece with ear and mic together works just fine. I believe you can interchange the two. A fix may be to dump the drivers in helmet unit and go to two student headsets.
If no one comes up with a better in car system, i will likely buy the second student piece.
Let us know what you find.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Remember my hand signal to you was a gesture simulating someone pulling down on a strap for a helmet -- which we know now ,meant, " You look like a bobblehead , get a new helmet or tighten your strap till it chokes you! "

....and we know it worked , since you got a new helmet, ha,ha.

Made it easy for this Instructor, since I promised you that you would go 2 seconds faster in 2019 ( at the Mustang Roundup) if you would just buy a new helmet. This was a simple analyses , since that would enable you to drive with two hands on the wheel , not one hand on the wheel and another on your helmet. I imagine your speed increase will be dramatic, it might even enable you to get " Most Improved Driver!?"

Heh, I am pulling for you, and I also think you should enter the Car Show, as Sweet Lorraine has more mods than some of those Show Cars. Show and Go, that is our buddy , Tymeslayer!!

Let's stay on topic.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel