The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

insurance deductibles

If you have more than one car insured with one carrier and all are damaged due to the same incident (Sandy), can the insurance co. hit you up for a deductible on each car? Thanks.
 
My insurance lists each car separately with all their respective coverages but I don't know. I hope it's just one.
 
I need to add coverage to each vehicle I want coverage on as I acquire them. In addition I can have different levels of coverage on each vehicle I own. These facts lead me to believe that the deductible applies to each vehicle, so the answer to your question would be 'yes' in my opinion.
 
I had an incident that happened to me, hail storm, and this is a tricky question. It really depends on the "fine print" of your coverage. I had USAA so they did not charge me a deductible on each car, just the total amount. However, my neighbor had a different company and they charged him the $1000 on each car.
 
I think they look at it separately.The insurance company's I've used have treated each car as a separate policy even though their packaged together under one number, different replacement value for different cars. I guess it's like family health insur. with separate deductibles. But because it was an " Act of god " they may treat it differently then a husband and wife crashing in to each other. Hope things work out for you, we got lucky where I am even though the eye past right over us. We were far enough inland to avoid the brunt.
 
If you at least didn't lose power,you didn't really "enjoy" this storm like the rest of us in the northeast. Some places in Jersey & New York STILL have no power with it going into the 20's & 30's at night. Lord help them.
 
I totally understand, our company ( BGE ) sent about 300 people, 100+ crews and support people to help restore power on long island, I ended up going home sick when the restoration was wrapped up here, thats why not there now.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
13
Connecticut
The deductibles apply to each individual vehicle based on the plan definition for each. I am not aware of a policy type that works differently than that.
 
PeteInCT said:
The deductibles apply to each individual vehicle based on the plan definition for each. I am not aware of a policy type that works differently than that.
USAA told me that because it was from a single incident, it only took one deductible.
 
PeteInCT said:
I need to switch to switch to USAA !
Hahaha. I found it hard to believe, but after the hail storm they had a tent setup where all of their customers affected by the hail could come down and get a quote from a couple different companies. It took a while, but it was worth it since both of my vehicles had a couple thousand dollars worth of damage. I asked them about it and after a lengthy explanation, he finally just said it's not a car accident, it's an act of god so it's just a single incident. I stopped asking questions after that. I will say that USAA has been great to me with all of their products.
 
Thanks for all the responses. So the consensus seems to be that yes they can hit you for separate deductibles, F...ME.
 
orng302 said:
Thanks for all the responses. So the consensus seems to be that yes they can hit you for separate deductibles, F...ME.

That was my take originally but after reading all the posts I wouldn't make that assumption if I were you. The best thing to do would be to read your policy and see what it says about deductibles. Does it distinguish between "accidents" and "acts of god?"

It does makes sense that a single large incident, such as an "act of god," might only trigger a single deductible.

In the end it goes back to how your policy is worded.
 

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
LindsayEOD said:
PeteInCT said:
I need to switch to switch to USAA !
Hahaha. I found it hard to believe, but after the hail storm they had a tent setup where all of their customers affected by the hail could come down and get a quote from a couple different companies. It took a while, but it was worth it since both of my vehicles had a couple thousand dollars worth of damage. I asked them about it and after a lengthy explanation, he finally just said it's not a car accident, it's an act of god so it's just a single incident. I stopped asking questions after that. I will say that USAA has been great to me with all of their products.

USAA has been top-notch for me and my family. Can't say enough good about them.
 

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
6,216
3,198
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Illinois
ufnavy06 said:
LindsayEOD said:
PeteInCT said:
I need to switch to switch to USAA !
Hahaha. I found it hard to believe, but after the hail storm they had a tent setup where all of their customers affected by the hail could come down and get a quote from a couple different companies. It took a while, but it was worth it since both of my vehicles had a couple thousand dollars worth of damage. I asked them about it and after a lengthy explanation, he finally just said it's not a car accident, it's an act of god so it's just a single incident. I stopped asking questions after that. I will say that USAA has been great to me with all of

USAA has been top-notch for me and my family. Can't say enough good about them.

+1


Insurance and banking are outstanding.

Mortgage banking is farmed out. A bit sketchy
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
13
Connecticut
I didn't read your initial post very well - with an 'Act of God' claim I guess it makes sense that it all one deductible. I'm guessing you have an umbrella policy with auto and home ? If so then the settlement may come off of the home side of your coverage. If not, the I still think USAA is handling it differently then my current insurer would.
 

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Your biggest hope for one deductible is if your cars are covered under the home owner's policy and were damaged while in the garage or at least on your property. An umbrella policy might help, but I doubt it, unless it was for property damage or maybe personal article.

Otherwise, I would expect most insurers to treat each car separately.

Best of luck to you.
 
Liberty Mutual called me today and said they will hit me with deductibles for each car. I told them I would remember that come time to renew.
 

MLM

Mike
129
0
orng302 said:
Liberty Mutual called me today and said they will hit me with deductibles for each car. I told them I would remember that come time to renew.

FWIW I've had Liberty Mutual for 20+ years and although they are expensive they have always taken care of me, home (storm damage) and auto (various fender benders). Hassle-free experience. I say you get what you pay for.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top