The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Insurance for the Charlotte event

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just got off the phone with locktonmotorsports Insurance company about covering the Boss at the Charlotte event. he said for 40000.00 in coverage would run about 230-240.00 for the event. so i am thinking ok, still better than telling my insurance company anything about this at all. Then he goes on to say there is a 4000.00 deductible? WTH??? I guess i am asking the people who still have a bank note on your ride,and do these events, what and how do you deal with it?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
trickpony said:
I just got off the phone with locktonmotorsports Insurance company about covering the Boss at the Charlotte event. he said for 40000.00 in coverage would run about 230-240.00 for the event. so i am thinking ok, still better than telling my insurance company anything about this at all. Then he goes on to say there is a 4000.00 deductible? WTH??? I guess i am asking the people who still have a bank note on your ride,and do these events, what and how do you deal with it?

Prices quoted to you are normal. $4k deductable is standard. At MMP it's $5K. Dont ask me how I know. :(

Some take the insurance, some don't. You have to take into consideration the other guy. There is no fault with track damage or insurance.

You brought the car, you pay for your damage regardless who hits who. Someone has brake fluid boil and plows into you going into a corner, see above, your bill for your car.

TMSBOSS said:
Prices quoted to you are normal. $4k deductable is standard. At MMP it's $5K. Dont ask me how I know. :(
I'm asking. ;D I was just at Spring Mountain and the deductible for the Z51 Stingray in the level 3 class was $8K. :eek:

GA
I have thought about getting the insurance for Charlotte too. I only need about 30G coverage since I have a lowly GT. ;) I normally don't buy it but that concrete wall at the turn-in from the oval has me thinking twice.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
PJWANNABE said:
I have thought about getting the insurance for Charlotte too. I only need about 30G coverage since I have a lowly GT. ;) I normally don't buy it but that concrete wall at the turn-in from the oval has me thinking twice.

Remember, if you don't think you can make Turn 1, just keep on going through the tri oval and into NASCAR 1. I think at the speed limits that they have established even for the A group there should be no problem braking there. Unless someone gets crazy aggressive past the start/finish line.
Steve

steveespo said:
I think at the speed limits that they have established even for the A group there should be no problem braking there. Unless someone gets crazy aggressive past the start/finish line.
Steve
Assuming we're talking about the 50th event have you received information on the track day(s) there? Nothing yet from Vegas other than a questionnaire on experience. Maybe the Vegas guys are a bit behind the Charlotte event. I have no idea which run group I'll be in or if there will be a "speed limit" for the groups.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
NFSBOSS said:
Assuming we're talking about the 50th event have you received information on the track day(s) there? Nothing yet from Vegas other than a questionnaire on experience. Maybe the Vegas guys are a bit behind the Charlotte event. I have no idea which run group I'll be in or if there will be a "speed limit" for the groups.
Rick
Our chief instructor has sent out emails about the daily schedule, tech forms, driver meetings and general group information but not specific group assignments yet.
Steve

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
NFSBOSS said:
I'm asking. ;D

After the left dog leg I shifted after a pass. Shifted 3-2, not 3-4. Back end came around, collected it and was hit by the guy I just passed. Thought it was all my fault.

Later he stated "sorry I hit you, all I did was take my foot off the gas. No brake, did not steer I should have missed you but did not react".

My bill and yes $5k deductible.

GA
steveespo said:
Rick
Our chief instructor has sent out emails about the daily schedule, tech forms, driver meetings and general group information but not specific group assignments yet.
Steve

The group assignments for Charlotte have been posted. Log into Motorsportreg.com and you will find the group assignments when you click the attendees link in the event details. It looks like all groups except the advanced group are riding with an instructor (who may sign you for solo in the afternoon). You might find the same thing for Vegas.

GA
steveespo said:
Remember, if you don't think you can make Turn 1, just keep on going through the tri oval and into NASCAR 1. I think at the speed limits that they have established even for the A group there should be no problem braking there. Unless someone gets crazy aggressive past the start/finish line.
Steve

Good tip, thanks.

TMSBOSS said:

Some take the insurance, some don't. You have to take into consideration the other guy. There is no fault with track damage or insurance.

You brought the car, you pay for your damage regardless who hits who. Someone has brake fluid boil and plows into you going into a corner, see above, your bill for your car.
well I just finished up the online purchase of insurance for the Charlotte event. that sucked anyway its done and now i have a little peace of mind. I just found out they put me in the D class ( novice} guess I should have done the Track Attack thing when I bought the Boss :-\ I have many years running down a drag strip but I guess that dont count. but everybodys got to start somewere and just to drive around this track is a big deal to me! thanks for all the input, and info.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
well I just finished up the online purchase of insurance for the Charlotte event. that sucked anyway its done and now i have a little peace of mind. I just found out they put me in the D class ( novice} guess I should have done the Track Attack thing when I bought the Boss :-\ I have many years running down a drag strip but I guess that dont count. but everybodys got to start somewere and just to drive around this track is a big deal to me! thanks for all the input, and info.
[/quote]

Novice class With and Instructor is the way to go. Instruction on the line in car from someone who knows.

This is common practice at most tracks. Show you know the line and can control the car, your will be moved up quickly. Took me two sessions to move up at Blackhawk, one was in a light rain.

I also have many runs on a drag strip. No comparison. Both have their technical and driver sides. Two very different disciplines.

Drag strip full day equals 10 runs, if you are lucky, 10-15 minutes track time max.

HPDE track day and you will see over two hours of track time, at least an hour with an instructor, bench racing between runs. Fun.

GA
trickpony said:

The Carolina Regional MC guys running the event also run an annual performance driving school at Carolina Motorsports Park and are NASA-SE members, so they run a safe and organized event. You need more than a track day or two to be considered ready for the more advanced run groups. I am in the B group but that is after doing 20 or so road course HPDE track events. I have been signed for solo in some of their past events so I have a history with them too. This is very different from running down a drag strip or autocross.

PJWANNABE said:
The group assignments for Charlotte have been posted. Log into Motorsportreg.com and you will find the group assignments when you click the attendees link in the event details. It looks like all groups except the advanced group are riding with an instructor (who may sign you for solo in the afternoon). You might find the same thing for Vegas.
I'm searching both Charlotte and Vegas and can't find either. I have an account and am logged in. Do you have a link to the event?

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
PJWANNABE said:

Just saw it, Thanks
Steve

PJWANNABE said:
The Carolina Regional MC guys running the event also run an annual performance driving school at Carolina Motorsports Park and are NASA-SE members, so they run a safe and organized event. You need more than a track day or two to be considered ready for the more advanced run groups. I am in the B group but that is after doing 20 or so road course HPDE track events. I have been signed for solo in some of their past events so I have a history with them too. This is very different from running down a drag strip or autocross.
I hope that I didnt come across the wrong way, I have a ton of respect for road course driving, but I guess the word novice kinda messed with me a little..(even though in this case i am} I am 52 years young and been involved in some sort of racing since my early teens. and I promise that I will not take my instructors advice lightly! I am really looking forward to meeting my fellow Mustang owners and being able to say.....YEP I was there for the 50th! ;D Mike

GA
NFSBOSS said:
I'm searching both Charlotte and Vegas and can't find either. I have an account and am logged in. Do you have a link to the event?

I think it is a private link. I received an email from Motosho after I registered on the 50th site to complete my registration on Motorsportreg.com. If you registered in Vegas it is probably the same so use that link to get back to the event.

GA
trickpony said:
I hope that I didnt come across the wrong way, I have a ton of respect for road course driving, but I guess the word novice kinda messed with me a little..(even though in this case i am} I am 52 years young and been involved in some sort of racing since my early teens. and I promise that I will not take my instructors advice lightly! I am really looking forward to meeting my fellow Mustang owners and being able to say.....YEP I was there for the 50th! ;D Mike

No worries. :) I hope I didn't sound snooty. I still go in the novice group sometimes on a difficult track that is new to me. There is less pressure to go fast when I am learning the track. See you at Charlotte soon!

Ken

I have USAA and called them specifically asking about the event. He said as long as it wasn't an organized "racing" event or a timed event, than I was covered. It took him about 10 minutes of asking his supervisor to answer the question, so I'm relieved to some extent that if I wad it up, I might be able to get it fixed. :)

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Good info on the insurance, thanks guys.

I did sign up for open track in Vegas but have not heard anything from anyone about my track experience or any other info regarding this. I have my conformation number for the open track event but nothing else. Where would I go to get further information?

TMO Supporting Vendors