The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

intake manifold heat insulation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo said:
i'm gonna buy the turkey pan (lets see how many real Ford experts are out there) for $80 and tell everyone I did a mod that got me 10 HP.
Steve

I know this from being a Dodge owner in a past life, Big block Dodges have a really big one.

Justin, Dry ice works well without the watery mess and lasts a bunch longer.

I would also like to point out, that it was engineers, even after 100 years of building cars and having in the past discovered how absolutely horrible remote mounted shifters are, that gave us a remote mounted shifter in a race car. Proof, smart people do really dumb shiznit sometimes too. It is now left to us, the end users to try and fix their mess. the members here, most not all, not being engineers, have done remarkably well at putting bandaids on a bad design to make it workable.
there are some remarkably talented and knowledgeable people here and I applaud their efforts to make their cars work to the best of their ability.

Please keep all clutch issues discussed in the thread below where others can find it. I'm going to move the last few posts there.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2934.0

Justin said:
great idea where does one buy dry ice?
Well it has been a few years since I used this trick at the track but chemical houses, or gas suppliers ( welding supply ) used to carry it. I googled it and got a ton of listings for my area, so maybe that's the best way now. Wear gloves, do NOT touch with your bare hands. The burns are brutal.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
NewBossowner said:
Well it has been a few years since I used this trick at the track but chemical houses, or gas suppliers ( welding supply ) used to carry it. I googled it and got a ton of listings for my area, so maybe that's the best way now. Wear gloves, do NOT touch with your bare hands. The burns are brutal.
thanks I think I seen it at a grocery store somewhere around here.

Or you can use meth and drop your Intake Temperatures by 120 degrees. Dry Ice is probably cheaper if you don't go to the track very often though.

Brandon302 said:
Couldn't dry ice crack something though? Or is everything so hot that it is only able to cool.

Shouldn't cause any issues. It is just set in the valley under the intake to cool things a bit.

Justin

Sean said:
Or you can use meth and drop your Intake Temperatures by 120 degrees. Dry Ice is probably cheaper if you don't go to the track very often though.
no thanks on the meth been there done that with my cobra. Cost me an engine

http://www.racepartsolutions.com/index.php/categories1/race/heat-insulation-products/im-shield-2012-coyote-boss-5l-race-part-solutions

$48.97 Vendor will have in stock on Wednesday 31JUL.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Justin said:
no thanks on the meth been there done that with my cobra. Cost me an engine

Methanol/Water has some advantages with turbo/supercharged applications or high compression/jacked ignition timing tunes but for drag racing, not really high duration road race use. Down sides are the effects that the methanol has on lubrication, it dilutes oil, washes oil film off of valve stems and piston ring/cylinder walls which can contribute to failure as Justin has said.
Steve

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I always think of the main disadvantage for road racing is that it RUNS OUT. Imagine forgetting to top of the methanol tank once. You will only forget once.

NFSBOSS said:
For fun I looked up the Cobra Jet and Boss 302 intake instructions at the Ford Racing website. For the CJ intake install there it no mention of the foam pieces being removed but there are photos of the foam pieces, page 10, and you can clearly see the foam pieces in place after the CJ intake is installed, page 21. They did not reinstall the fuel rail covers, page 38. You can download the instructions at the link below.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22445

On the Boss 302 instructions for a GT there is no mention of the foam pieces and none are included in the kit.

What does this mean? I haven't a clue but like Scott stated it isn't going to hurt anything removing them.

Thanks for finding this Rick. As I read this I noticed that the Cobra Jet intake had gaps in between the runners where free air could go through. This would eliminate the need for the foam when using the Cobra Jet intake. I think air moving across it would be better than not. Just my .02

I removed the foam. I believe there is a cooling advantage without it.
For those familiar with the old traditional V8's and Edelbrock intakes: Remember when they switched to the "AIR GAP" intake manifolds? To me it's kind of funny to have a void under the intake and forbid air flow through it...
Noise is critical to certify new hi-performance cars and Ford certainly has a hard time to comply with today's regulations, to me it makes sense the foam is for NVH, but I am far from being an engineer :)
I ordered the heatshield found by NFS BOSS as well! thx ;)

Justin

I installed it on my boss. The edge tape didn't stick well at all. I put the foam back in to hold up the insulation as I think it would fall off if I didn't.

Justin

NFSBOSS said:
I never installed this on my Boss and had forgotten about this. I might at some point. If it's snake oil it's cheap snake oil and probably can't hurt.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-140008/overview/
honestly if you can find peel and stick heat shield sheet and just cut your own and get some quality edge tape your probably better off. Nothing elaborate about this kit really just rectangle with a slight angle cut on the fwd edge.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel