The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

intake manifold heat insulation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
saw this on stang tv. comes out soon. but I plan to get it they claim 12hp gain....dont buy that but like the concept.

http://www.stangtv.com/project-cars/project-wild-e-coyote/review-heatshield-products-coyote-intake-manifold-heatshield/

boss is part number 140007 it will be out mid july and cost around 80 bucks.

I saw that too and it does look interesting. Here's a few photos.

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/home

LEAD_Art-HEATSHIELD-1b.jpg
HSMG3_2375-400x266.jpg
MG3_1679.jpg
MG3_1678-312x208.jpg

Grant 302 said:
Funny. I thought I was one of the few who thinks the intake could use *more* insulation.
I agree...Dont understand why people are pulling out the Black foam Insulation from the factory. it's there for a reason.

boss man said:
You must be refeering to the S or R. Correct
I'm talking about the street version.

Correct.

You said it is there for a reason. I am curious what you know, my only understanding for the N in NVH. If there are other reasons I would like to know. I pulled mine a long time ago and others ask me about pulling them off their cars, if I am giving out bad info to them when I say there are no adverse effects I will correct that.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
It's there for insulation of the intake charge from radiator/under hood heat.

"The foam pads limit the amount of engine heat that gets to the manifold by blocking the front and rear openings at the engine valley."

From this article:
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1211_coyote_bolt_ons_pick_up_sticks/photo_12.html#ixzz2XfbEAqLu

so if that is the case, how are they moving that hot air from out of the enclosed intake area. the area between the front and rear foam, the runners from side to side..the bottom of the intake down to that chunk of hot aluminum called the engine block. its trapped...so the intake absorbs that heat.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I'm with gremlinsteve, how can that foam help keep the intake cool when the valley is exposed. If the insulation blocks went all the way through under the intake I would buy it but they don't. It's like an incubator in there.
All about eliminating noise complaints.
Steve

I thought there were three pieces of factory foam. 2 (1 each side) above the injectors and 1 actually below the intake manifold.

Now, I can say that after removing the 2 outer pieces I have noticed a bit of intake air temp increase according to the computer. However, I personally was willing to trade a few hp for "hopefully" increased heat transfer away from the motor. I may be overly paranoid but just really feel that this motor's Achilles heal is heat management, and, living in FL, that is a serious long term concern.

Now, if I am totally off base, some of you smarter guys please educate me!

Oh, it also just sounds and looks better with the foam pads gone.

Shawn

Grant 302

gremlinsteve said:
so if that is the case, how are they moving that hot air from out of the enclosed intake area. the area between the front and rear foam, the runners from side to side..the bottom of the intake down to that chunk of hot aluminum called the engine block. its trapped...so the intake absorbs that heat.
They are *not* moving the air from the enclosed area.

steveespo said:
I'm with gremlinsteve, how can that foam help keep the intake cool when the valley is exposed. If the insulation blocks went all the way through under the intake I would buy it but they don't. It's like an incubator in there.
All about eliminating noise complaints.
Steve

So what you guys are telling me is that you would rather flow hot radiator air over your intake? What your not getting is that flow is primarily how air transfers heat. I'll *briefly* stick my hand in a 500 degree standard oven...I will NOT stick my hand in an industrial convection oven even at 300 degrees.

I have a feeling they are there for engine noise AND to keep debris from collecting in the valley since this is a street legal version. Looks like that area would collect quite a lot of crap given enough time. It makes no sense to me that it would be to keep the intake cooler since it only traps air above the engine. Since when is airflow a bad thing? Remember that the only reason they blocked up the fog light holes was snow...

Grant 302

steveespo said:
I retract my hypothesis, The foams may also insulate the intake from the exhaust header heat. I also run the 302S hood which allows air to flow through the radiator and out of the engine bay.
Steve

I don't know where it would be a 'wash' to have the foam in or out...but in a street car, I'm sure it's all the engine bay heat that the foam protects from, except for what comes from the valley. With the 302S hood and under track conditions, I'm sure there's a point where the foam becomes moot, and then at higher speeds would trap more heat in. I understand why it's not in the race cars, and many cover their intake tract with reflective material.

CPTMac689 said:
However, I personally was willing to trade a few hp for "hopefully" increased heat transfer away from the motor.

This is where I land. I like the idea of treating the underside of the intake with gold foil or the like, rather than using the squirrel mattress. :p

isrboss

I'm with the leave the engineered insulation alone theory. You really can't compare a race car to a street car when it comes to engineering. One is to finish first at reliability and long life costs, the other to stay off the dealerships lift. I mean it is a plastic intake, does that not clue into that they would have had to address the heat collection there? If Ford wanted the intake to last more then 20,000 miles, I would say yes. I'm no engineer, and if we do have engineers in this thread that know exactly why they are monkeying the previous engineering, please tell. I really think it is funny this is being discussed, because when I read threads like, I pulled this off and the engine sounds awesome, I removed this spring and it's great! Humans are just so predictable, that they can not just look at something and not think, I can do it better, haha. Most of the members on here that have done a lot of mods, are having mechanical issues on the road course, and daily driving, I trust Ford in the reliability department.

isrboss said:
I'm with the leave the engineered insulation alone theory. You really can't compare a race car to a street car when it comes to engineering. One is to finish first at reliability and long life costs, the other to stay off the dealerships lift. I mean it is a plastic intake, does that not clue into that they would have had to address the heat collection there? If Ford wanted the intake to last more then 20,000 miles, I would say yes. I'm no engineer, and if we do have engineers in this thread that know exactly why they are monkeying the previous engineering, please tell. I really think it is funny this is being discussed, because when I read threads like, I pulled this off and the engine sounds awesome, I removed this spring and it's great! Humans are just so predictable, that they can not just look at something and not think, I can do it better, haha. Most of the members on here that have done a lot of mods, are having mechanical issues on the road course, and daily driving, I trust Ford in the reliability department.

I would have to disagree when it comes to Ford knowing best. Have you had the clutch pedal stick to the floor? The assist spring was definitely a bad idea on Ford's part. You can't tell me there is nothing you could do to your car that would be better then stock and yet still last just as long.

TMO Supporting Vendors