The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Interceptor gauge install questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi all,

I've never installed gauges before, I noticed Gary saying something about setting up his own senders for the various things (oil temp, etc) and then he went to say the 2013 guys have it easier for some reason or another.

So I have a 2013 should I have set up my own senders or is something stock I should tap into? Are the install instructions pretty straightforward? What should I be monitoring on the road course, so far I have thought of oil pressure, oil temps and engine coolant temps. I want only one gauge mounted on the AC vent on the left side of the driver and I know it can display two parameters at once but can I feed multiple parameters to the unit?

Lastly I think there was some mention of this before but there wasn't any conclusive I read, does the unit power down if it gets too hot? If so wouldn't it be constantly overheating in the CA desert sun during the summer months?

I also talked to some fast guy on youtube at MSRH and he runs AIM acquisition data like on the 302S cars. How involved is that?

Thanks in advance for all my newbish questions!

- Frank

drano38

Wayne
Frank
I've got one too.
It plugs into the OBD port under the dash and will display anything the computer knows.
On the '12, computer does not have oil temp or pressure, so senders need to be added for those.
On track I monitor ECT (engine coolant temp) and air intake temp.

drano38 said:
Frank
I've got one too.
It plugs into the OBD port under the dash and will display anything the computer knows.
On the '12, computer does not have oil temp or pressure, so senders need to be added for those.
On track I monitor ECT (engine coolant temp) and air intake temp.

Is it better to just use the stock readings or run my own senders? Is it easy to route a wire through the air vent from under the dash so I can have the gauge there all the time (instead of just at the track)

drano38

Wayne
My recommendation is install it into a Roush gauge pod and run it for a while with out extra senders. Then see if you want to see more info, and if so, add senders for what you want.

Maui
fduboss302 said:
Hi all,

I've never installed gauges before, I noticed Gary saying something about setting up his own senders for the various things (oil temp, etc) and then he went to say the 2013 guys have it easier for some reason or another.

So I have a 2013 should I have set up my own senders or is something stock I should tap into? Are the install instructions pretty straightforward? What should I be monitoring on the road course, so far I have thought of oil pressure, oil temps and engine coolant temps. I want only one gauge mounted on the AC vent on the left side of the driver and I know it can display two parameters at once but can I feed multiple parameters to the unit?

Lastly I think there was some mention of this before but there wasn't any conclusive I read, does the unit power down if it gets too hot? If so wouldn't it be constantly overheating in the CA desert sun during the summer months?

I also talked to some fast guy on youtube at MSRH and he runs AIM acquisition data like on the 302S cars. How involved is that?

Thanks in advance for all my newbish questions!

- Frank

I have 2 aeroforce interceptor gauges placed in a dual gauge A-pillar pod from speed of sound. I wanted to see 4 parameters all at once. If you want only 1 gauge, I'd go with the Roush pod on the a/c vent. You can cycle the parameters so it will automatically switch every few seconds to show different parameters.. You can get a lot of information just by plugging into the obd2 port. Air fuel ratio, ECT (engine coolant temp), RPM, mph, battery voltage, intake air temp, ambient air temp....
I ended up getting a sender unit for oil pressure (which will require a T setup to hook up the stock sensor and new sensor).
Personally, I monitor A/F Ratio, RPM, ECT , and oil pressure...

I understand that the gauge mode under the track app option for the 2013 boss allows you to monitor:
Air-to-fuel ratio
Cylinder head temperature
Inlet air temperature
Oil temperature
Transmission temperature

I've heard the Cylinder head temperature is similar to Engine coolant temp... With this information, you might not need to get the aeroforce gauge. Or if you get the gauge, I'd think maybe just use the info provided by the obd2 port +/- sender for oil pressure...
You're lucky b/c you can monitor your oil temp and transmission temp using your track apps feature. (or at least this is what I've read)

fduboss302 said:
Is there a way to have the single Interceptor in my car AND run a data logger?
How about this?
http://www.amazon.com/OBDII-Splitter-J1962M-2-J1962F-145802/dp/B000TMCX72

drano38 said:
My recommendation is install it into a Roush gauge pod and run it for a while with out extra senders. Then see if you want to see more info, and if so, add senders for what you want.
I would agree with this since I have no idea what Ford added for senders in the 2013. I'm sure they're as accurate as one from Aeroforce. They're just using a 0-5v sensor and converting it to a numeric value.

thats a good question and was the agony I went through for 8 months ( not kidding, yes its sad blablabla):

if you get it from American Muscle, its going to be by default: blue writing on black background or reversed (reversable from gauge options menu). I see those a lot and its hard to see the blue in sunlight, despite matching pretty good the dash.

if you get it straight from Aeroforce, its whatever you want pretty much.

I have a CO car as well, and I went for GREEN on BLACK / reversable. most importantly *its very easy to read* and totally stands out on orange yet is a match to orange ( and matches the summer green grass around here).

then I went the extra geek detail by having the matching brushed steel bezel and SVT optional FACE.

hope this helps, in the end its my taste though, but I do love it, it really looks awesome.

rom

drano38

Wayne
Mine is black/white text, and very easy to read with white letters. Looks factory in Roush AC pod.
Only critique is it creates glare at nite, even in dimmist mode.
Got mine last summer from Steeda, but drop shipped from factory.

I got the black/white display like drano. Will give an update by tomorrow about the info on a 2013. Despite only having two buttons it looks like a bear to program. On an aside, it looked smaller in real life. "That's what she said?"

Did you guys run any "insulation" behind your Aeroforce gauge if say the heater gets run? Or did you run it naked?

Also what did you ziptie/tie the cords to? Getting up in the driver area is a pain because the wheel is in the way...

On an aside snapped two AC vent tabs on the first set of vanes, second set was easy. Agh, looks like I gotta get a replacement from Tousley, probably need to buy that whole inner housing should I decide to restore it to stock.

Maui
fduboss302 said:
Did you guys run any "insulation" behind your Aeroforce gauge if say the heater gets run? Or did you run it naked?

Also what did you ziptie/tie the cords to? Getting up in the driver area is a pain because the wheel is in the way...

On an aside snapped two AC vent tabs on the first set of vanes, second set was easy. Agh, looks like I gotta get a replacement from Tousley, probably need to buy that whole inner housing should I decide to restore it to stock.

I used the SOS dual gauge pod with an oil pressure sensor. I used foil tape as insulation for the wires coming from the oil pressure sensor in the engine bay to the inside compartment of the car. I'm guessing you can do the same if you use your heater.
Out of curiosity does your track apps on your 2013 boss show Air-to-fuel ratio, Cylinder head temperature, Inlet air temperature, Oil temperature, Transmission temperature already? How closely does the Air-fuel ratio, Cylinder head temp (ECT on the aeroforce gauge) match up.. Did you ever get an oil pressure sensor/sender unit?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
fduboss302 said:

I ran mine naked, but if you run heat in the winter it will blank out the display. Since my LS sleeps all winter (track only) I didn't address it, but if you are going to use the car with the heater on I'd suggest blocking the vent.

naked as well, for same reason as Pete, but also conceptually because if you need to run the heater while you race, then maybe you are not racing hard enough ;D

I live in Southern CA guess that's not a big deal. Interesting things of note is the ECT reading is different than the cylinder head reading out of Track Apps, by a few degrees.

The fuel pressure and temps on the 2013 aren't getting sent through, looks like I'll have to install senders. Boo.

drano38

Wayne
+1 on Naked.
My Boss hibernates thru winter also.
And generally, we run heat to the feet, so hopefully no air flows thru upper vents.

Extra cord--I laid on the floor, head first, to see under dash. Cable tied extra cord into bundle, and either tucked it in somewhere snug, or tied it off--don't remember for sure. But there's LOTS of sharp edged metal under there, so don't put the wire where it could rub on a sharp edge.

Gary had mentioned limp mode kicking in around 250* in some thread somewhere. My Aeroforce gauge displays cylinder head temp and coolant temp (the latter being lower), does anyone know which one the car uses to engage limp mode so I can program the warning in?

Slightly off topic, it's even worse working underneath the driver side than the passenger side kick panel area.

TMO Supporting Vendors