The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Intercom recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Hey TMO peeps,
I’m hoping you can give me some advice on intercoms. Now that I’ve moved to “solo” status, I need my own intercom in case I have a rider. I was looking at this one:
https://competitionmotorsport.com/t...MI-ZnT79v76wIVEtvACh1Ljw3eEAQYASABEgK3ffD_BwE
But as I’ve discovered over the years through cars, photography, computers, etc, there’s some pretty crummy stuff out there and I hate buying things twice because the first one sucked. Advice much appreciated!

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
No personal experience, but the name brand I've always heard of is Peltor. Actually, looks like they're owned by 3M.

Speedcom seems pretty decent, although they are not mil spec. .but few are. I see more of these than anything else at the track..

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks to me like the Speedcom SCC-2MPI and the Racing Radios SXS are the same box except that the SXS includes a 12V cigarette adapter and the SCC comes with bare wires for hardwire. Each company offers slightly different headset options but since it is an IMSA-jack I can get whatever headset I want from wherever. The options you suggested look better than the Trac-Com I linked to in my original post. While reading online reviews for the Trac-Com I noticed some reviewers complained that it was not as loud as they would have liked, so thank you for the suggestions! 👍

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks to me like the Speedcom SCC-2MPI and the Racing Radios SXS are the same box except that the SXS includes a 12V cigarette adapter and the SCC comes with bare wires for hardwire. Each company offers slightly different headset options but since it is an IMSA-jack I can get whatever headset I want from wherever. The options you suggested look better than the Trac-Com I linked to in my original post. While reading online reviews for the Trac-Com I noticed some reviewers complained that it was not as loud as they would have liked, so thank you for the suggestions! 👍
I just checked. My speedcom has the lighter jack installed. Maybe I got lucky

TX
I use Speedcomm in my car and it's phenomenal for the price. My car is STUPID loud--as in a passenger could scream the top of their lungs and I wouldn't hear a thing. This mic setup allows me and passengers to speak to each other just fine. Highly recommend.

Here's a clip out the mic during a track session.

TMO Supporting Vendors