The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Interesting Article Comparing Old vs. New Boss 302 HP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I ran across this article today and thought others might like to read it. It talks about the HP ratings of original muscle cars as compared to those of today. Towards the end it uses the Boss 302 to illustrate the comparison. Interesting stuff!

The bottom line: Original Boss 302 about 240 net HP vs. the current Boss at 444.

Beyond the specific Boss comparison I found the discussion about using quarter-mile times and particularly speeds (including other factors) as a good estimator of HP.

http://www.hagerty.com/classic-car-articles-resources/Features/News/All-Articles/2013/08/13/Horsepower

I grew up in the 70's in the middle of the gas crisis when muscle cars were being given away. Man, do I wish I had a time machine to go back and buy up the local muscle cars...in my high school lot there was a 1970 Boss 302, a 1969 Boss 429, a 1970 Mach I with a 428SCJ (which I later bought for $1000 - I'm not kidding), 454 Chevelle, 340 Cuda and Challenger, 1970 Buick GS Stage 1 455, 1969 Olds 442, several 440 Chargers, a 1973 SD-455 Trans Am, and on and on.

Having driven and ridden in a lot of those cars, while they were cool and made good noise, they were not as fast as the new Boss by any stretch, even my 428 Mach I would probably lose to the Boss. The tires also were simply terrible at the time.

These are the good old days!

coboss said:
I grew up in the 70's in the middle of the gas crisis when muscle cars were being given away. Man, do I wish I had a time machine to go back and buy up the local muscle cars...in my high school lot there was a 1970 Boss 302, a 1969 Boss 429, a 1970 Mach I with a 428SCJ (which I later bought for $1000 - I'm not kidding), 454 Chevelle, 340 Cuda and Challenger, 1970 Buick GS Stage 1 455, 1969 Olds 442, several 440 Chargers, a 1973 SD-455 Trans Am, and on and on.

Having driven and ridden in a lot of those cars, while they were cool and made good noise, they were not as fast as the new Boss by any stretch, even my 428 Mach I would probably lose to the Boss. The tires also were simply terrible at the time.

These are the good old days!

I was in my late teens early 20`s in the 70`s, lots were full of muscle cars and I had a good job and lived at home. I got too buy pretty much everything I ever wanted to drive and I wanted em all. It was the golden age of muscle cars, this is more like the diamond age, I doubt this will ever be repeated again, certainly not in my life time.

The Boss 429 couldn`t take the current Boss 302.

TMO Supporting Vendors