The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Interesting Camaro5 Forum Discussion between the Boss and 1LE.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mostly a good discussion and an amusing read. I know a lot of you have more track experience than me but you hardly ever see a Camaro at the track. I bet I see 20x1 Mustangs to Camaros. Please no bashing other forum members. ;D

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251434&page=3

Re: Interesting Camaro5 Forum Discussion between the Boss and LE1.

Maybe I should tell them that I tried really, really hard to like the new Camaro. My last two performance cars were an '02 Camaro SS and an '08 Corvette. They were both fantastic cars.

The biggest problem I have with the new Camaro is the interior. To my eye, it looks terrible and functions even worse. I actually sat in a Camaro for a long time trying to convince myself that I could eventually get used to it but there was just no way. I will have limited motorsports use of my car. I have to live with it and live in it on the street. The Camaro interior makes that a deal breaker for me, whether it's an SS, 1LE or ZL1. Well, that and the outward visibility. ;D

The Boss is a complete package for me that the Camaro could never be.

Sesshomurai

Boss0960 said:
Maybe I should tell them that I tried really, really hard to like the new Camaro. My last two performance cars were an '02 Camaro SS and an '08 Corvette. They were both fantastic cars.

The biggest problem I have with the new Camaro is the interior. To my eye, it looks terrible and functions even worse. I actually sat in a Camaro for a long time trying to convince myself that I could eventually get used to it but there was just no way. I will have limited motorsports use of my car. I have to live with it and live in it on the street. The Camaro interior makes that a deal breaker for me, whether it's an SS, 1LE or ZL1. Well, that and the outward visibility. ;D

The Boss is a complete package for me that the Camaro could never be.

Well said. I feel the same way. This is my first Ford car. I had Camaro's and Firebirds in the past. I was considering a ZL1 before I got the boss, but the thing that kept bothering me about the Camaro (aside from the interior) is that its aggressive styling just doesn't ring "track car" to me. It looks more designed as a street "rod" with its exaggerated lines. And those big "hips" it has just look bulky and unbalanced going around turns. Its weird for me, because from some angles the Camaro design speaks to me, but only for a flash, then it seems too "goofy" looking - to me - once it gets moving (although the stevenson GT/Rolex Camaro does look better on the track).

The boss has clean, crisp lines without gratuitous features and looks more balanced bumper to bumper - and that translates to performance balance.

BLAZN BOSS

NFSBOSS said:
Mostly a good discussion and an amusing read. I know a lot of you have more track experience than me but you hardly ever see a Camaro at the track. I bet I see 20x1 Mustangs to Camaros. Please no bashing other forum members. ;D

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251434&page=3
Wow...........I should have known better than to read that............I'm ready to join just so I can post. LOL............... There is still one fact every chevy lover cant deny..........It has ALWAYS taken 1 yr later "after" design and a bigger motor for camawoes to better Mustangs..........and usually they dont better Mustangs.

I like the looks of the Transformer I mean Camaro but like Darren I hate the interior and view out from the cabin. I was always going to buy a Mustang but I did test drive a Camaro SS and Challenger SRT. All three cars have nice features but for me the Mustang was the true sports car of the group.

We did see that yellow automatic one with the Transformers sticker on it at Laguna Seca that time! Seriously are any of these things ever going to make it to the track? If they were so great wouldn't people be tracking the heck out of them? I have questions... ::)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Wow. The slanted opinions are amazing.

I only remember one Camaro at the track in the last year. ZL1 vert...and I think it was an automatic?

Anyway, I just wish Chevy or Dodge would make serious competitors for the Bosses. Hasn't happened yet.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.

I few things I took from that 'discussion' if you could call it that:

1) Part of the price differential is Track Attack, arguably a $1500+ value
2) Trackey; Chevy hasn't offered anything remotely close to this technology and doesn't have to incorporate that R&D into their price
3) Someone said why does the Boss need forged internals... 7500 rpm redline... Isn't the Camaro's still somewhere in the low 6000s? Another price point and an expensive one.
4) Pushrods.... talk about Ford following Chevy in technology? Yeah, right. Modular is where Chevy will have to go at some point.
5) The Boss still makes more HP than the 1LE with a smaller engine. And even when they do put the 'huffer' on it, it still makes less horsepower than the smaller Shelby engine.
6) The 1LE came out after the Boss. This is indisputable. So how is Ford following Chevy?
7) Quad exhaust, another $1000 bucks or so for that R&D and the parts for it. Sounds amazing.
8 ) I thought IRS was supposed to allow for better handling than a solid live axle.... but yet the SLA does just about everything the IRS does and you can still put it on the strip.

So I've already accounted for about $3000-$4000 of the price differential with things the 1LE just doesn't have and thoroughly enhances the ownership experience.

Anyways, the point is Camaro guys will be Camaro guys and we'll be Mustang guys. Occasionally, there will be those who are in agreement, but the party lines, for lack of a better term, are pretty well drawn. Both cars are amazing and the Boss was good enough to get my dad out of his M3; don't know of many people who would do that for a Camaro. Competition breeds better cars for us in the long term. Let's enjoy that. I'm just excited I get to drive my Boss for the first time in 6 months in about 60 hours or so. ;D

My 2012 Boss is only the second car I have ever owned. I have owned lots of pickup trucks, and nine Harleys, but my 1973 Q-code Mach 1 was my only car, up until the 2012 Boss 302. I thought that I wanted a 2011 SS Camaro, until I drove one. I have never even considered a new Mustang, until they introduced the Boss, and I just had to have it. I never even wanted a Shelby Mustang, but getting the Boss filled a primal urge. No way I could justify needing it, as I currently have a Z71 GMC pickup, a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup, a one-ton Chevy 4x4 flatbed, and a Z71 Chevy Suburban, and the 73 Mach 1. Still, I had to have that 2012 Boss 302. I added Track Key, and did Track Attack back in October. I love the car. Seamless power, and takes curves like it was on a rail. I can't imagine anybody getting worked up over a Camaro. Maybe if I was a sixteen-year-old girl, but if I was, I would have other problems, such as my excessive facial hair.

I don't have a problem with Camaro's or most Camaro owners. However, after reading that entire thread, there are quite a few discrepancies which don't come from ignorance but rather blindness. I now have a headache.

i actually like the 1LE. unwrap the hood, put some proper stripes on it and it's really not a bad looking car.

oh yeah I can't read the thread because i know how camaro5 is.

I owned a camaro 2 ss it had every option they have i will say it did have a much nicer interior then what you guy's are refering to but mine was a special order in 2010 it was 49,000 and I will get right to the point they are nothing like the boss and do not compare I dont care what anyone says they can not keep up in many ways now I did like the starting from in my house seats warmed up air turned on all the lights inside whatever it's junk next to the boss and yes I drove mine to it's full potential it cannot keep up with the boss and so far I have not found one that can since owning the boss I haven't even found one camaro that will hang at all and have raced a few so far. the day a camaro beats me I will be impressed.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
NFSBOSS said:
All good points guys. Regardless of which one is faster in the tests it won't matter if we never see a 1LE at the track! ::)

New Camaro's at the track are like kittens playing in the swimming pool. It doesn't happen, at least when anyone is looking. ::)

I think the bowtie track crowd buys Corvettes. For the money, they're hard to beat as a track car. A well driven Z06 will beat virtually any exotic or import up to the quarter million range. Of course most Vettes are owned by overweight balding middle-aged guys with heavy gold chains that will never go to a track, but that's beside the point. ::)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
I think the bowtie track crowd buys Corvettes. For the money, they're hard to beat as a track car. A well driven Z06 will beat virtually any exotic or import up to the quarter million range. Of course most Vettes are owned by overweight balding middle-aged guys with heavy gold chains that will never go to a track, but that's beside the point. ::)

I don't wear gold chains, dang it ! ;D

PeteInCT said:
cloud9 said:

I don't wear gold chains, dang it ! ;D
LOL!

Don't think I can add much, but owning a boss and having actually driven a 1LE I feel a little qualified comparing them. I couldn't do any concrete testing back to back, but from my time in the 1LE I would say its quite a capable car. GM should be applauded for making the option available to their faithful.

The follow is all "IMO": The Boss is far more visceral when driving and also supports a superior track experience due to its seating and gauges. The Camaro is just not setup on the inside for tracking. Regarding price, there is no question the 1LE is a better "bang for buck" if you are considering static performance numbers. Like most things however, numbers don't always tell the story. I got the feeling from my short autocross in 1LE that I would get very tired driving the car at a full track event, a feeling I've never once considered in my Boss.

All that aside, the Boss had me at 7500 redline, I just love bringing the motor up there. ;D

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
If price is an issue, then a stripped down track pack 5.0 would still be better than any Camaro.

It's true that the 'Vettes are the only real competition for track Mustangs. At 50% to double the price more...they should be.

Kittens in pools - LOL.

TMO Supporting Vendors