The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Interesting comment on the Boss CAI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I like Dave but he has to say certain things. Since he also had to say that there was no advatage to change the shifter and that the BOSS shifter was as good as an aftermarket shifter the CAI comment becomes meaningless...even if it is true.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
RoushF150 said:
I like Dave but he has to say certain things. Since he also had to say that there was no advatage to change the shifter and that the BOSS shifter was as good as an aftermarket shifter the CAI comment becomes meaningless...even if it is true.
I second that. and why would the engineer admit to "yeah aftermarket parts are better than ford parts" he wouldnt he would probably lose his job.

Unless you are increasing the size of the MAF and getting a custom tune, you are not going to see much of a boost from an aftermarket CAI. The stock one has good airflow, and the intake temps are very close to outside air temps most of the time. I have a '13 and the intake temp displays on the LCD. It is always within 2-3 degrees of outside when the car is moving.

Increasing the size of the MAF requires a tune.

Ford did a great job on the Boss engine, and unless you are willing to take risks with an aftermarket tune, there is not a lot you can do to bump the HP.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
coboss said:
Unless you are increasing the size of the MAF and getting a custom tune, you are not going to see much of a boost from an aftermarket CAI. The stock one has good airflow, and the intake temps are very close to outside air temps most of the time. I have a '13 and the intake temp displays on the LCD. It is always within 2-3 degrees of outside when the car is moving.

Ford did a great job on the Boss engine, and unless you are willing to take risks with an aftermarket tune, there is not a lot you can do to bump the HP.
totally agree with you on that. but his statement was a little vague and made it out to be that no aftermarket CAI would increase power. then goes to say that the boss shifter is better than an aftermarket shifter......ppppppllleeeaaasssee I call BS on that 100% the stock shifter compared to anything aftermarket is a POS. Granted its better than say the T-5 factory shifter no doubt T-45 yes T-56 yes but an aftermarket shifter no way.

As for the IAT temps on my boss it too comes in very close to the outside temps when data logging. it uses a sheild that retains the port from the factory box.

Imagine if they gave Leno the regular key what he would have said of the skip-shift feature and the cant change gears at redline feature ;D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Justin said:
coboss said:

totally agree with you on that. but his statement was a little vague and made it out to be that no aftermarket CAI would increase power. then goes to say that the boss shifter is better than an aftermarket shifter......ppppppllleeeaaasssee I call BS on that 100% the stock shifter compared to anything aftermarket is a POS. Granted its better than say the T-5 factory shifter no doubt T-45 yes T-56 yes but an aftermarket shifter no way.

As for the IAT temps on my boss it too comes in very close to the outside temps when data logging. it uses a sheild that retains the port from the factory box.

You might get a small gain from an aftermarket CAI, but any real power gain from a CAI/Tune combo is coming from the tune itself.

jeepinocala said:
Imagine if they gave Leno the regular key what he would have said of the skip-shift feature and the cant change gears at redline feature ;D
No skip shift on a 2013.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
ArizonaGT said:
Justin said:
coboss said:

You might get a small gain from an aftermarket CAI, but any real power gain from a CAI/Tune combo is coming from the tune itself.

Agreed. A CAI by itself is a cosmetic enhancement only, I know - I have one. I don't believe the Ford guy misspoke at all.

PeteInCT said:
ArizonaGT said:
Justin said:
coboss said:

Agreed. A CAI by itself is a cosmetic enhancement only, I know - I have one. I don't believe the Ford guy misspoke at all.
+1 In most cars you'll notice a tune, but a CAI alone vs. the stock air filter if there is a difference, you'd probably see it only on a dyno from a purely technical standpoint; you wouldn't notice anything as a driver. CAIs, especially the carbon fiber ones, sure look good tho....

TMO Supporting Vendors