The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Interesting find: Preproduction Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw this posted in my local classifieds.
Apparently, it's a pre-production car. 1 out of only 12 made. And is the only one in Canada. Check out the intake manifold plate:

$_20.jpg

Hand welded exhaust

$_20.jpg

Text from the seller:

Mint 1 of 1 Pre Production 2012 Boss 302 Mustang. Car number PP0003 1 of 12 built (pilot production). This vehicle is well documented by Ford of Canada and Ford Racing. This is a perfect collector's find when one is looking for unique and rare in a vehicle.
This 2012 Boss 302 is the only pre production vehicle built for Canada.
It was built on Oct 26, 2010, 5 months prior to regular production run. It was sent to Ford of Canada to make its debut at the Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton 2011 Canadian International Car shows. At the Pilot Production stage the vehicles are not built at mass production speed. They are built with time, precision, prototype parts and components. That's what makes them rare. Perfect example, the picture of the exhaust system shows its hand welded. The vehicle has been stored in a temperature controlled environment. This vehicle will be auctioned at the Toronto Spring Classic Car Auction at the International Centre in Mississauga, Ontario on April 5, 2014.

OPTIONS:
Ricaro seats
factory floor mats
factory car cover (still in original box)
2 regular white keys (only one provided by Ford)
red key (track key)
track key activation kit (not activated)

Found here: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2012-Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-1-of-1-Prototype-Pre-Production-W0QQAdIdZ562383295

I worked for Ford and spent time at the Pilot Plant and this vehicle would not be built there. From my experience it would be built in Flat Rock on line and then sent to a area in the plant to fix any problem that might have occurred during the build. Plus being a preproduction vehicle the parts are not up to finished quality yet. I would never purchase a vehicle that was on a show tour, off and on trucks many times. I truly believe this person is misleading the pedigree of this vehicle, the last Boss built would be a better vehicle from my experience unless you are Bill Ford or Jay Leno.

I don't see any additional value in the MP or PP cars. Buying one with the thought that it will be collectible three decades from now will most likely turn out to be a bad investment.

Boss 1934 said:
I worked for Ford and spent time at the Pilot Plant and this vehicle would not be built there. From my experience it would be built in Flat Rock on line and then sent to a area in the plant to fix any problem that might have occurred during the build. Plus being a preproduction vehicle the parts are not up to finished quality yet. I would never purchase a vehicle that was on a show tour, off and on trucks many times. I truly believe this person is misleading the pedigree of this vehicle, the last Boss built would be a better vehicle from my experience unless you are Bill Ford or Jay Leno.

I agree with Boss 1934, it is misleading what the seller is saying. I am almost 100% certain a true PP car would have been considered a mule and should be crushed or trashed. This car is more like a production car, for ford use. This car did come down the Flat rock line, which makes me feel old. I was at the plant back in 2010. And I will be at the plant tomorrow, for 2015 pilot build.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
NFSBOSS said:
I don't see any additional value in the MP or PP cars. Buying one with the thought that it will be collectible three decades from now will most likely turn out to be a bad investment.

You have a better change of getting your money back from Bernie Madoff than recouping the $185K.

Is it worth more than a regular Boss? Probably, given that it shipped with parts that can't be found anywhere else.
Is it worth 185k$? No friggin' way.

Having worked for Ford and Toyota, had experience with the PP cars. At Fords Yucca Proving Grounds (now closed) the Bullitts were red GT's with mods. Not really mules but assembly line cars, a mule in many cases is a previous model with the next model in and under (see the 15 mules that were 12 and 13's with the independent suspension modded to them). PP's are line cars used mostly to check production quality then sent to test facilities to make sure the changes worked out. The evolution of a new cars usually comes in stages, concept, prototype, mule(test prototype mods), pre-production then to final product. Depending on particular mfgr a couple stages can be added. Now the Ford (Surprise, AZ) and Toyota (Whitman, AZ) proving grounds are about 20 miles apart, on any day test cars could be seen in the Phoenix area. I saw the Focus ST testing in Surprise, impressed I bot one, it's a kick in the butt. It is highly unusual to find any vehicle prior to final production car in the real world because they had no V.I.N.s, could not be titled and liability issues to mfgr. Could be used as show cars and test cars but would end-up being destroyed. The PP plate on intake is interesting but most Boss parts are available from Ford Racing, should research vin, and serial numbers and assembly tags on parts.

boro92 said:
He's out to lunch with the price--that's for sure.
$185K asking price!!

WOW!!! I wanted to email them asking price but figured I would get the reply "if you have to ask u cant afford it" Never thought it would be over $100,000

Kewl car though....

Looks like its going to Auction this weekend, be interesting to see what it goes up too. Kinda guessing it wont sell but who knows

http://www.collectorcarproductions.com/lot-details.php?RefNum=r064&EventID=88

There have been several of these around lately. Ford just sold the 13's to dealers within the last couple of months. Jacky Jones Ford in GA bought 4 of them. The PW and GB have sold and the GHIG and SBY LS are still available. They had them on ebay with 42k BIN and I think the most miles any of them had on it was just under 500.

The GHIG is back listed on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-PP0-Boss-302-PP0008-Pre-Production-Manual-Coupe-5-0L-CD-VIN-51-/131152253975?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1e89489417&item=131152253975&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Mach1Guy said:
Looks like its going to Auction this weekend, be interesting to see what it goes up too. Kinda guessing it wont sell but who knows

http://www.collectorcarproductions.com/lot-details.php?RefNum=r064&EventID=88

I just back from this auction were this donkey was trying to sell his car. There was two guys bidding on this car, the first bid was for $100,000 the second bid was $120,000 the third bid was $130,000 the fourth bid was $140,000 and stalled the guy had a $160,000 reserve on the car and he wouldn't remove it. I can only think this donkey had his friends bidding on the car to drive price and drum up support on the bidding. They advertised the car as having a glass roof, I looked at the car and it was painted black like all the other 2012 Boss 302. The owner is no car guy, he was more like a donkey with a big mouth.

TMO Supporting Vendors