The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Interesting Miss-shift today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Today was out running errands in the BOSS, and had no issues on the first leg of the trip. After about 40 miles I parked for about 20 minutes (its HOT outside, 104 heat index), not running AC or anything just window down to hear the sweet sound of 444 horses at work. got back in the car, shifted fine for the next mile. Then I come to a traffic light on a small hill, the car behind me gets right on my ass so I inch up and throw it back in neutral because its a long light... Then once light turns green I shift to 1st and start to let out the clutch and the car starts going backwards! Somehow without pushing down on the shifter it goes into reverse instead... So quickly hit the brakes, shift back to neutral and again to first, same thing happens, car goes into Reverse instead. Now I am getting pissed and so is the line of cars behind me, so I put it in second gear, slammed the gas and let out a squall of tires, and get on my way... So thinking the clutch or tranny was just hot, I got to an empty street with a slight incline and stopped, and tried first again, this time no problem... so I put in neutral, rolled back and tried it again, again went into first no problem...

Not sure what was going earlier, but it sure scared the crap out me, was using the Black Key.

Anyone else have anything weird like this happen? I wouldn't think it would even be possible with the "Reverse lockout", but apparently either I am putting more downwards pressure on the shifter than I though I was or it was just a glitch... This is the first time its ever happened, only 170 miles on the car, so after trying to reproduce it and not being able to I guess I will chalk it up to Driver error, even though I know I didn't "intentionally put it in reverse".

Using Stock Shifter... But this makes me wonder if its the Tranny, Shifter, or just a combo of heat build up and to much down-pressure when I tried to shift to first gear. I know everyone will say "Learn to drive you idiot", but I have never had any issues like this before... Almost wish there was a Gear indicator somewhere just so things like this won't happen by accident, but maybe it was just a fluke.

I would assume putting a MGW shifter in wouldn't really matter, since its "Lock out for reverse" is based on the same shift pattern...

Ideas?

I've noticed sometimes the shifter will not pop up after coming out of reverse unless I push it pretty far to the right. It always comes up slowly. It has happened enough times that I got used to pushing it all the way right before going back to the left for 1st.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I would assume putting a MGW shifter in wouldn't really matter, since its "Lock out for reverse" is based on the same shift pattern...

Ideas?
[/quote]

I found the MGW requires considerable more downward pressure to shift into reverse. This may be a possible cure for the reverse shifting issue. Something to consider if it happens again.

Thanks guys, I will try the suggestion on moving the stick to the right all the way before going back into first gear, I suppose I could also, pull up on the shifter to make sure the "Downward action" is no longer engaged as well.

Hopefully it was a one time thing, but if it happens again, I might be looking at a MGW shifter.

Could a hot day, hot clutch/engine have anything to do with this mis-shift? Reverse can only be engaged at a full stop right? While First gear is way to low to downshift to, I assume there is no way the car can accidentally do this if I am moving... Just kinda timid about it now I guess, but I am sure it was just a glitch or something since its never happened before...

Interesting, well glad I wasn't the only one, starting to think I couldn't drive stick anymore.. LOL Mine is a 2013 Race Red BOSS too! maybe its a RR problem.. LOL

I accidentally put mine in reverse instead of 1st an alarming amount of times already. In my '11 GT, I never had this problem. Not sure what it is.

If it keeps happening, I might install my MGW. I haven't yet since this car seems to shift better than my '11 ever did, MGW or not.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
TMSBOSS said:

Ideas?

I found the MGW requires considerable more downward pressure to shift into reverse. This may be a possible cure for the reverse shifting issue. Something to consider if it happens again.
[/quote]

+1

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Yet another plus for the MGW. When you want reverse, that's what you get, and yes, it requires a really good push down, more that what any 'normal person' gripping the shifter in a typical fashion could accidentally do. You can feel the tap of the shifter post on the upper shift body 'reverse post' (don't know what else to call it), and then you slide it the rest of the way up to engage reverse.

IMG_2229.jpg

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I had that issue with my stock shifter. Since I have had the MGW its never happened again. I dont know how anyone can drive a boss without a MGW shifter. I think its a down right requirement unless you are into frustration and looking like a NOOB driving the boss in anger.

Watch the video on the MGW shifter of the side by side comparison and you will see why the reverse lockout is a POS on the stock shifter.

Debate no longer get that CC out and buy a MGW shifter and never worry about missing 3rd or 4th or any gear or putting it in reverse on accident anymore.

FWIW ~ After either being in 1st Gear when I thought I was in Reverse... Or being in Reverse when I thought I was in 1st... I would always gently let out on the clutch just to make sure I was headed in the direction I intended on going... Especially when I was driving into or out of my garage...

And before purchasing & installing the MGW shifter, I found the only real way to ensure that I was in the correct gear was to wiggle the shifter around in Neutral before selecting either 1st or Reverse... That way I knew for sure... With the MGW there is virtually no chance of being in Reverse unless you mean it...

My install was approx 3 hours, by myself, using basic hand tools and raising just the front of the car with a floor jack and 2x jack stands... Can be a little tight working around the driveshaft... But watch the "how-to" videos and take your time... Well worth the price and the effort... Good Luck!

zzyzx

Steve
Great thread!

Glad I read it. A cautionary note and another vote for the MGW.

I guess my thought process wasn't off when I was thinking that the reverse lockout seems tentative/indecisive on the stock setup.

Justin said:
I had that issue with my stock shifter. Since I have had the MGW its never happened again. I dont know how anyone can drive a boss without a MGW shifter. I think its a down right requirement unless you are into frustration and looking like a NOOB driving the boss in anger.

Watch the video on the MGW shifter of the side by side comparison and you will see why the reverse lockout is a POS on the stock shifter.

Debate no longer get that CC out and buy a MGW shifter and never worry about missing 3rd or 4th or any gear or putting it in reverse on accident anymore.
There are enough of us around who have not experienced the issues some of you are or were having. Just lucky I guess.

orng302 said:
Justin said:

There are enough of us around who have not experienced the issues some of you are or were having. Just lucky I guess.
That's what I thought too. It seems to be catching up to many more over time. :mad:

Update: During today drive I made sure to push the shifter to the far right before engaging 1st gear and that seems to help "reset" the center. No reverse issues today with the stock shifter, though I did have some 3rd to 2nd downshift lockouts. After watching the MGW video's I think its pretty apparent that the stock shifter is not really "great", sure it works, but has some issues that MGW seems to have addressed. I like the idea of Metal on Metal Reverse lockout instead of what appears to be just a plastic clip on the stock shifter. While my car is still so new there is no way the reverse clip is worn out, I can see where eventually this will be an issue. That doesn't seem to be even possible with MGW's shifter.

In short, I think will get MGW a call this week and get one on order along with the BOSS 302 Shift Ball. I would rather spend $450 + on a shifter than have a reverse issue again and accidentally back into a car behind me on the hill because I thought for sure I was in 1st. I will keep the stock shifter in a bag with all parts and pieces just in case I ever get rid of the car, I can offer the stock parts.

200 miles on the car now, and while the stock shifter does seem to be getting a little better, and while I will have yet another "Break in period" with a new MGW shifter, I think in the long run its worth it. I don't track my car (yet), and don't really do any speed shifting, but the few times I have tried its been a failure due to lockouts. From what I understand and read that will not be an issue with MGW's shifter.

Thanks for all the feedback, and I will let you all know what I think once I get mine in and have a chance to drive it...

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Don't forget to order the heat shield too. I wanted mine to be as quiet as possible, and I definitely think it helps. I will make my MGW install thread tomorrow. All I get now is the positive clickety snick on the first few shifts of the day when the car is cold and hasn't warmed up yet. I will be taking some video tomorrow on the way to work to try and capture this.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
I have not had a problem with first or reverse,but I'm on MGW's list for a new shifter,and after hearing about some problems,I'm glad I have one ordered.

TMO Supporting Vendors