The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Interesting New BOSS 302 Fact

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
I'll post pictures later and a review after picking up my SBY Boss 302 yesterday (#39). I will note the car handles amazingly!

Anyhow, I drive it off the lot and it doesn't seem that peppy. I think well, it needs to warm up. So, I jump on the expressway to drive it home (about 45 miles from the dealership) and it handles great, but I am just riding along in traffic. I do some passsing and the car just doesn't seem peppy. I am expecting it to roar and it doesn't. I am not worried because of everything I read here. So, I get off the expressway and stop at the light. The light turns green and I turn and accelerate and I hit second and hit the gas and ROAR! WOW! POWER! I get home and my brother, who followed my home so he could take me back to the dealership to pick up my mini van (big change i know), and I mention to him that it seemed like it had no power until I got off the expressway (He is the GM at the Ford Dealership I bought it at). He said, "Oh it must be like like my Ford GT and Ashley's Shelby (his daughter). Ford has a program in the computer the detunes the car until you hit 50 miles so the transportation people can't pull burnouts with the cars" He said you can do it earlier that 50 miles but the dealer has to reset the computer.

I just wanted to pass that on, just in case someone goes to test drive the car and thinks, "This thing is a dog". LOL

Brian

Me driving off the showroom floor.
b8195ffb.jpg

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Same thing happened to me, it's known as "Transportation Mode". I don't know about it resetting itself after 50 miles, but you can easily reset it by disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds and reconnect. That's all it takes to clear that mode. The dealerships are supposed to do this when they prep the car.

Also, if you car is like mine you'll find that the car steadily increases it's output over the first 250 to 500 miles or so. Even when transportation mode is disabled it won't rev up as fast as it will once the engine breaks in. I don't know it for a fact, but my assumption is that the computer has a redefined break-in algorithm that protects the engine during the break-in period. In this car, with it's tendency to burn a little oil, I think observing proper driving during the break-in period as well as swapping out the oil very early is important. I dumped my original oil at 1000 miles.

batman48195

Good idea Pete. I was planning on an early oil change and easy driving. Just driving normal I was shifting at about 3500 RPM's I can't imagine winding this thing up to 7500. It must be screaming.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
batman48195 said:
Good idea Pete. I was planning on an early oil change and easy driving. Just driving normal I was shifting at about 3500 RPM's I can't imagine winding this thing up to 7500. It must be screaming.
Batman,

Be careful - read the Boss supplement. Ford recommends no wide open throtle until after 1000 mile break-in. For the first 100 miles you should keep the RPM low (below say 4000). Ford also recommensd to frequently vary up the speed you drive for the first 1000 miles and yes it is a good idea to frequently monitor your oil consumption too. Please keep us posted on the enjoyment you must be experiencing now and in the future.

MMD

MakeMyDay said:
batman48195 said:
Batman,

Be careful - read the Boss supplement. Ford recommends no wide open throtle until after 1000 mile break-in. For the first 100 miles you should keep the RPM low (below say 4000). Ford also recommensd to frequently vary up the speed you drive for the first 1000 miles and yes it is a good idea to frequently monitor your oil consumption too. Please keep us posted on the enjoyment you must be experiencing now and in the future.

MMD
See below for what the manual states. You're fine to run the engine to redline off the lot. ;D

"BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE
Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive
continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of
new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the
moving parts a chance to break in.
Drive your new vehicle at least 100 miles (160 km) before performing
extended wide open throttle maneuvers
and at least 1,000 miles
(1,600 km) before towing a trailer or before performance/competition
conditions. For more detailed information about towing a trailer, refer to
Trailer towing in the Tires, Wheels and Loading chapter.
Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since
these additives may prevent piston ring seating. See Engine oil in the
Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information on oil
usage."

batman48195

Ive kept it under 4000 rpms. I'm easing my way into learning about the car. Just normal driving is fun. The car feels very planted and connected to the road. Even driving on Michigan roads this car rides great. It's hard to tell it has a live axle. This car drives nothing like my 2007 GT Premium. This is a world class automobile.

Brian

batman48195 said:
Ive kept it under 4000 rpms. I'm easing my way into learning about the car. Just normal driving is fun. The car feels very planted and connected to the road. Even driving on Michigan roads this car rides great. It's hard to tell it has a live axle. This car drives nothing like my 2007 GT Premium. This is a world class automobile.

Brian
You're missing out on the fun.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
batman48195 said:

Brian
+1 on the comparison between the two. my 06 GT prem felt like a POS compared to the boss or a new gt in ride comfort and handling and feel. not to mention power.

It takes a while but you will get used to people staring at you after a while at stop lights and going down the highway. and be ready at fill ups cause someone almost always will come up to you and ask you about the car.

boss2511 said:
batman48195 said:

Brian
+1 on the comparison between the two. my 06 GT prem felt like a POS compared to the boss or a new gt in ride comfort and handling and feel. not to mention power.

It takes a while but you will get used to people staring at you after a while at stop lights and going down the highway. and be ready at fill ups cause someone almost always will come up to you and ask you about the car.

Luckily I'm already used to that from driving my '68 :)

Not a new fact, but a good reminder for '13 owners taking delivery. (No offense intended)

Oh, and Pete, your sig picture is huge! Scale that down buddy. :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
batman48195 said:
boss2511 said:
have you turned the fun police off yet? (traction control)

I have not. I have to read up on how to do that.

Brian

All of these with brake pedal depressed:
1 press: Traction Control off.
2 quick presses: Sport Mode engaged.
Hold down button for 5+ seconds: All advancetrac features disengaged (you are flying solo)

ArizonaGT said:
batman48195 said:
boss2511 said:

Brian

Hold down button for 5+ seconds: All advancetrac features disengaged (you are flying solo)

So what does 'Sport Mode' do exactly? Like having 'a little bit' of traction control?

batman48195

ArizonaGT said:
batman48195 said:
boss2511 said:

Brian

I assume, car running, in neutral. Brake and Clutch depressed?

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
Car running, but you can actually just feather the brake peddle while rolling and push the button to the desired setting.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
TheMarco said:
So what does 'Sport Mode' do exactly? Like having 'a little bit' of traction control?
See page 178 of the owner's guide for description of the operation of AdvanceTrac feature for this vehicle.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
you only have to use the brake pedal to turn both off or go into sport mode. to turn of traction control only (1 press) all you have to do is press the button

TMO Supporting Vendors