The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Interesting thread over at the corral - Updated Dyno Numbers 500+ rwhp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"Jpc would like to announce that we have test results on our CNC cylinder heads for the 2011 5.0L. We have just completed the install/testing on the heads for MM&FF and have a sneak peek of the results. We are not at liberty to post up complete dyno sheets at this time but we can let you in on some of the gains we experienced. The car we used for testing was Joe Marini's 2011 6spd manual GT. The car was equipped with a set of Kooks longtubes, 3" Off-road X-pipe, Bassani mufflers, JLT CAI, and a custom Diablosport/JPC tune. The car baselined at 424rwhp, we installed the cyl heads within 24hrs and did not change anything but the cyl heads, we made sure all of our temperatures were consistent and this is what we found:

A 36rwhp gain at 7,400rpm, 21rwhp gain at peak hp which was 6400rpm, 18rwhp gain at 5,000rpm, 5rwhp gain at 4,000rpm. The heads feature RGR designed cnc porting and a 5angle valve job. They are equipped with stock valves and we shim the valve springs, for added valvetrain stability at high rpms. We will offer a cnc program that also includes camshaft area modifications/clearancing for larger camshaft profiles. This is a must for any camshafts over .500lift. We are currently accepting cores for porting and have an apprx 7 business day turn around time. Please contact us if you have any questions. Thanks JB@JPC

The MM&FF article should be on the newsstands in apprx 2 months.

I agree about the peak numbers that why we posted number from 4,000rpm and above. I can't divulge too much unfortunately. The one thing I'll say about the Coyote engine, and you'll probably hear it numerous times, is that as you add airflow through either cams, cyl heads or an intake manifold, you have to rev them to really benefit from the airflow gains.

From our cam testing, which we'll release #'s soon, to the cyl head testing, it seems as when we add airflow there are huge gains at the higher rpm range while the lower rpms stay very close to stock. Ford has optimized the airflow of these engines at the lower rpms and adding airflow=adding rpms.

The Mustang enthusiast is going to have to realize that the red line on your tachometer just means "keep going" after these items are installed. The Coyote engine will be very happy at 6,500rpm+ once all of the induction items are installed and it will love every minute of it. If 3,000rpm grunt is what the end user is looking for, install a Whipple.

Coyote Recipe=4.10's/4.30's+Longtubes w/full exhaust + tune + CAI + cnc heads + cams + Boss intake=apprx 475-500rwhp and a Helluva lot of fun!!!"

I cut out the most interesting part but here is the thread:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1276618

Reading this it seems the head porting brought the peak power up to 445....this is with the stock intake manifold which I assume is the reason the car still peaked at 6400rpm. Imagine what happens with the Boss intake and better cams!

Of course who knows how Fords CNC job compares with what was done to this vehicle but I have a feeling Ford will prove to have done a really good job in this regard. We know for instance that the entire port and chamber is done from the factory. The valve job probably won't be as good but I bet that the overall flow numbers will be fairly close.

Gentlemen, we will have monsters on our hands with a few tweaks.

Re: Interesting thread over at the corral

Mark said:
Gentlemen, we will have monsters on our hands with a few tweaks.
Sure looks that way. While I'm probably not going to modify mine much past a tune it's going to be fun watching others play with theirs. I'll bet 500 hp @ 8,000 rpm is within easy reach. I have a thing for high revving engines so the car in stock trim is going to be a blast!

5 DOT 0 said:
Unfortunately the guy posting the article on that board then goes on to talk about adding a supercharger...

remember that they are not discussing the Boss and the vast majority of mustang guys are more interested in straightline performance. It does offer us a good insight into what is coming however.

Mark said:
remember that they are not discussing the Boss and the vast majority of mustang guys are more interested in straightline performance. It does offer us a good insight into what is coming however.
Good point. On some other forums guys just don't get it. They either want to throw a SC on the Boss or "just add a SC to a GT and you'll have a faster car".

Yea I know all about that. I've got one of those already. I'm actually going to slow down to hopefully go faster on the road course :) It makes absolutely no sense to buy a Boss and supercharge it, not to mention you can buy a GT500 for less than the cost of supercharging the Boss by the time you also add the intercooler and heat exchanger.

Looks like the thread got edited way down. They must have not wanted all of this info out just yet...lol. Oh well, we promise not to tell.

posted by Blackg37Coupe

"Basically what was deleted is with heads and cams JPC got the car to 480whp at peak rpms, not much at lower RPMS and expects 500whp with the addition of the Boss Intake"

sweet! Can't wait to read about in in MM&FF or maybe I already did ;D

I wonder if an intake cam swap + tune and CAI will net 500rwhp for the boss?

here are the numbers after the Boss intake

8137097692e2d6cb234f33bd80e699f6b077fb2.jpg

mods are:

Stage I JPC CNC heads
Stage I JPC cams
Boss 302 Intake FRPP
JPC long tube headers and off-road X
Bassani Race mufflers
JLT CAI
Diablo Custom JPC Tune
Stock shortblock

Made 480 rwhp Stock Intake
Boss intake 507 rwhp

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdcOqkpKmug[/youtube]

here are the reported head flow figures...I wonder how this compares to the stock boss head?

All numbers from a super-flow 600 @28 in on a 3.630 stock bore. Exhaust flow with a 1 3/4 inch pipe and standard comp. valve job more flow to come w/valve job testing.

stock heads

Lift intake ex

.100 49.4 32.1

.200 180.2 147.8

.300 243.5 180

.400 280.0 189.7

.500 289.4 201.4

.600 298.4 207.7

RGR Ported

.100 52.3 35.0

.200 193.3 155.4

.300 262.8 197.5