Interesting Video on Wheel Spacer

Discussion in 'Brakes, Wheels and Tires' started by wtywlyshelby, May 3, 2018.

1. wtywlyshelby

wtywlyshelby TMO Intermediate

I am sorry to ask another question about wheel spacer. Today I accidentally saw a video that talks about this topic: whether wheel spacer is good or bad. He points out it will change the suspension geometry, reduce braking stability, and effective spring rate at the wheel.
    What do you guys think about the video?
    Since I just ordered a set of wheels that requires spacers to run a fully rotatable setup, I would like to hear you guys' opinions about this topic.

2. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

Any minimal loss in handling and braking are more than made up with the additional grip you'll have. I didn't watch this video but the race teams use spacers, along with hundreds of TMO members, so proceed with full confidence that you're making the right move. In our case you're not using spacers to change geometry you're using spacers to make up for the lack of offset needed to clear the brakes and suspension.

RaiderJatt02 and wtywlyshelby like this.
  3. OPMustang Tim

OPMustang Tim TMO Race

If you bought wheels with the offsets needed the wheels would be in the same position relative to the hub as a wheel with a wheel spacer. Just don't tell your car you are running wheels spacers and it will not know the difference.

4. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

“Pushes your wheels out further”. His assumption is that the wheels fit without the spacer. Not what we are doing.
    Another YouTube “Professor”
    Oh Boy.

VoodooBoss and wtywlyshelby like this.
  5. wtywlyshelby

your comment made me laugh :D

6. wtywlyshelby

i thought the stuffs he talked about are pretty legit. Thats why i wanna bring out this video to make sure i made the right move for my car.

7. wtywlyshelby

Its good to have such a technical forum like this one. I believe I will have more questions about the car once I start tracking it lmao.

8. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

The points made in the video are basic and legit. A bit confusing with the short explanations.
    What most of us are doing is allowing the front wheels to be manufactured with meat removed so the wheel/tires fit the rears. Then we add the spacers for front mounting.
    If he had emphasizes treadwidth location and clearances wheel to fender and wheel to suspension, he could have been clearer. A warning concerning spacers with studs mounted and the use of factory installed studs would also have been useful.