The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Interior goop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Ryder

Retriever Racing
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
machesney park, ill.
It seems to me I read somewhere that if you scrap out all that goop they put all over the interior it's about 20 pounds?? is that right? I'm trying to remove more weight out of the car this winter so alot of little things may add up right?

IMG_1137.JPG

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I would be surprised if it amounts to that much. Most remove it in preparation for seam welding the body to improve rigidity.

sfo
Wow! Cleanest job I have ever seen. I tried to chisel as much as possible but mostly gave up. The sealer is heavy. I know I have chiseled out pounds of the stuff but still have more to go. Do you have a trick to getting it out? even and airtool does not strip it out as nice as you have done. It looks like you started with a body in white!

Jim Ryder

Retriever Racing
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
machesney park, ill.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I've seen some people use liquid nitrogen to freeze the gunk and then it will break off in chunks.

Wow! Cleanest job I have ever seen. I tried to chisel as much as possible but mostly gave up. The sealer is heavy. I know I have chiseled out pounds of the stuff but still have more to go. Do you have a trick to getting it out? even and airtool does not strip it out as nice as you have done. It looks like you started with a body in white!
I recall there being three types of adhesive to remove.
The seam sealer I thought was the most difficult to remove. I used a heat gun and a medium thickness scraper/spatula that was 1.5 inches wide. Heat it up until it just starts to smoke and scrape it off in layers. Once I was down close to the metal I used a worn 4 inch diameter wire wheel in my drill to remove the residual adhesive.
The other common adhesive is on the floor, the trans tunnel, in the middle of the trunk and on the inside off the roof. This is usually in multiple lines with various widths. It is almost dense foam like material. I also used heat and a scraper to get it down close to the metal. I found that the adhesive only had to warmed up to remove. I then use the adhesive remover (pictured) to remove the residual. This worked quite well especially over all the contoured shaped shapes the flat scraper couldn't reach. The adhesive remover did not remove the paint either. Be careful and use low heat on the roof adhesive as excess heat could damage the exterior paint.
The last adhesive is hard to describe but it is like a roof shingle in consistency. I recall it being in 4 places around the rear fender wells and on the drivers side floor. It takes some warm heat and a scraper. It is really gooey when warmed up. I removed the residual with the adhesive remover once again.
I also tried the dry ice idea but it did not work for me as I had seen in several YouTube videos. Maybe it has something to do with the age of the adhesive.
All in I probably had about 24 hours into adhesive removal with 3 wire wheels and 4 cans of adhesive remover consumed. Take your time and wear the proper PPE. The seam sealer really stinks.
I also attached a shot of the interior just prior to paint.

IMG_5913.JPG

IMG_7699.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors