The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Internal frame of Boss 302 Recaro seats / broken side bolster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Didn't know how else to title this post and hopefully its in the right forum...if not I would appreciate it if the moderators would move
it to the correct forum.

That having been said, while getting into my car tonight I heard and felt something snap in the drivers seat back, left side bolster. In
checking the bolster, you can now easily move it back and forth, up and down...in addition, you can feel the internal structure moving
around and scraping/grinding on other parts of the frame. I know the bolster foam attaches to the some sort of frame that of course attaches
to the center of the seat back and extends out, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me...with either some sort
of diagram that might be online (I haven't found one) or if for some reason you have taken your seats apart ?

The car is still under warranty and also purchased with the car was the additional warranty for the interior components...specifically purchased
because of the cost of these seats. I don't know if I'll have a battle on my hands getting it taken care of...ie; a replacement seat as I won't settle for some sort of "repair", but I'm going to find out tomorrow.

If anyone has any kind of information in this area, I'm all ears....the more informed I am, the better it will go dealing with the dealer

Thanks

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
It's a safety item, so I think it would be covered just for that. I haven't had one apart, but from your description it does sound like something broke/failed and again, should be covered under the bumper to bumper. And at the very least, under your interior add-on coverage.

As for thread location, I'd leave it here at least for now.

Good luck and please update after you visit the dealer.

I can't help you with the diagnosis, but ironically a similar thing halpened to me in my 2011 F150 two nights ago. I was getting in the seat and felt the lumbar support fail. There's a bladder in it that fills with air. The pump is activated by a switch on the side of the seat. $500 to repair so I bought a lumbar pillow for long drives pulling the trailer :eek:

It's still under the 3yr, 36,000 mile portion of the warranty...until the 26th of this month. In checking Ford parts online, a replacement seat back frame...just the frame with no foam or seat cover was $1357...can't tell how the metal portion of the side bolsters is attached but they are clearly visible in the part diagram. I'm betting welded in somehow...as it feels like a weld broke loose...doesn't feel like a bolt came loose or anything....will be at the dealer shortly...I'll update after talking to them.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel