The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Introducing my new Boss 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA
Hi guys,

Thought I'd sign up for the site since I've been lurking for a while.

I've been a long time Mustang owner, having just come from a 2011 5.0 ( with a D1SC Procharger), and before that a 2007 GT500 with a Whipple 2.9 blower.

I love this new Boss! I can't believe Ford has coaxed so much NA power from this little mill! The handling is very "un-mustang" like in that it really delivers on making the driver feel like they can conquer any corner, with any competitve car out there.

Going in Thursday for the Trackey install. This will be my second attempt with the dealer in getting it in there. Hope it works this time, they said they figured it out, it was the Windows 7 not working when Ford Racing told them they must use Windows XP. We'll see I guess.
Here's some pics from when I picked it up:

213.jpg

211.jpg

212.jpg

214.jpg

From a quick cruise with a buddy:

225.jpg

My old car:

50Intercooler.jpg

50EngineBay.jpg

MA
Thanks! I'm really digging this car! It's cool feeling like you're short shifting at 6500 rpm's!

Congrats and welcome to BMO. Coming from a GT500 with a pulleyed TVS I know where you're coming from ;) I was turning faster laps in the Boss out of the box. Now I'm leaving it in the dust :p

MA
cloud9 said:
Congrats and welcome to BMO. Coming from a GT500 with a pulleyed TVS I know where you're coming from ;) I was turning faster laps in the Boss out of the box. Now I'm leaving it in the dust :p

Exactly. I thought the GT500 was cool, what with being able to shred tires at 70 mph and all. That got old though. Car never hooked and was always heat soaked.

I had a short stint with a C6 Z06 when I sold the Shelby, but it wasn't embraced by my wife and daughter, so I picked up the 2011 GT, and quickly made that into a hot rod that wouldn't hook either!

Its nice having a car that puts the power down! I can honestly say that from 0-80 this car would take those! It just flat hooks and doesn't lay waste to expensive tires.

I'm loving the light, nimble feel, the tight handling and the shifter is fantastic! Even the clutch feels 'just right'.

First day I had the car, I removed the baffles and wow, what a cool sounding stock car! I have a set of GT500 mufflers I took off my 2011 GT but honestly, this car sounds fine with the stock exhaust! Love it!

SVT1 said:
Its nice having a car that puts the power down! I can honestly say that from 0-80 this car would take those! It just flat hooks and doesn't lay waste to expensive tires.

I'm loving the light, nimble feel, the tight handling and the shifter is fantastic! Even the clutch feels 'just right'.

First day I had the car, I removed the baffles and wow, what a cool sounding stock car! I have a set of GT500 mufflers I took off my 2011 GT but honestly, this car sounds fine with the stock exhaust! Love it!
Welcome to BMO, nice to see another lurker join the forum.

I'm still amazed at how well the rear hooks up on these cars, Ford really did their homework. The clutch hardly gets mentioned but it does feel good. It's easy to use around town yet works well on the track. I just installed GT500 mufflers and they add a nice deeper tone. One drawback is when you reduce back pressure you lose some of the sound out the side pipes. Ford used the stock GT mufflers for their added back pressure.

MA
5 DOT 0 said:
SVT1 said:

Welcome to BMO, nice to see another lurker join the forum.

I'm still amazed at how well the rear hooks up on these cars, Ford really did their homework. The clutch hardly gets mentioned but it does feel good. It's easy to use around town yet works well on the track. I just installed GT500 mufflers and they add a nice deeper tone. One drawback is when you reduce back pressure you lose some of the sound out the side pipes. Ford used the stock GT mufflers for their added back pressure.

Thanks man.

I'm glad you mentioned that you lost some of the sound out of the side pipes with the swap to GT500 mufflers. I'll keep the stock mufflers on it then. One of my favorite parts of driving this car around is the exhaust sound with the baffles removed pouring out right next to my ears while I'm out banging gears.

Ford really did a lot of homework in tuning the exhaust to sound right on these cars.

I will say though, that the 3" off road X pipe with the GT500 mufflers was one of the sweetest sounding Mustang exhausts I've ever heard, when I had my GT.

TMO Supporting Vendors