The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Introducing "Project 6GR" Spun Forged wheels For S550 Mustang & GT350

Which Color Wheel Would You Prefer

• Gloss Black

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • Matte Black

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Flat Graphite

Votes: 21 27.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking good! When does the next batch of R spec wheels arrive?

Very nice.....lookin' great. You definitely have the full R look going and it looks great! Quick question, with all the lug nut research you've done for these wheels, which would you use with the stock lugs?

The 14x1.5 Dorman 611-257 lug nuts work with both the stock and N4SM wheels. Ford Performance has new open 14mm lug nuts coming out which should work with the stock wheels but not sure about the N4SM wheels. Check around for best pricing.

https://www.amazon.com/Motormite-Dorman-611-257-WHEEL-NUT/dp/B00TL66OFO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A30UAHS71NDWIQ

Also

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=11254.0

Hello everyone !

Wheels are on the water, their arriving in about 2 1/2 weeks to port.

We have also found the solution for the R owners the vehicle will use open ended lug nuts and we have found a 5" socket that will work as the key.

Going out shortly to everyone.

My only complaint with the wheels is the tight clearance in the lug nut holes of the wheels. I had my first track day yesterday and the wheels did great but I've already scuffed the inner barrels of the lug holes a bit taking the wheels on and off. I'm using the larger Dorman lug nuts and I haven't found a socket yet that is thin enough to work without making slight contact with some of the holes. The socket ends up getting stuck in the hole and I have to pull it out with a pair of pliers. Not cool in front of my track buddies. :)

Has anyone found a definitive 1/2" 13/16" socket that is thin enough to work with these wheels?

barstowpo said:
Blue point makes a thin wall flip socket for lugs that might work. It is available from Snap On.
Welcome to TMO, do you have a link to this socket?

My Gorilla socket works fine but it touches the inside of the holes just a little without the protective plastic sleeve. But it does not need a pair of pliers to remove it. ;) The link below has an image that looks like the one I have. I sent the seller a note to confirm that it is the one in the photo and if so I'll order a spare. I doubt you'll find a socket to fit full size lug nuts that doesn't touch the sides of the holes.

With that said I torture tested mine at Sonoma yesterday and Thunderhill today using the Dorman lug nuts with no issues. For track use I feel a lot better using a full size lug nut with the additional contact patch.

2A454786-8BA0-4D27-B38A-7D7E2A25362C_zpswjtetspq.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391458952481?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l1600.jpg

29215885881_44e03f5d98_b.jpg

29186372952_9b52882283_b.jpg

So I got the wheels on and was measuring for tires and need a bit of help. It looks like I have 5/16th of an in. from the wheel well to the lip of the wheel. So I will probably pickup a small spacer to give myself a little bit more clearance. That being said I'm confused on tire specs. When I go to tire rack am I supposed to be looking at measured wheel width or the section width. The wheel measures 12" so if I'm looking at the specs on the MPSS I should be able to fit 325/30/19 tires on the car. If I'm looking at section width I may be able to fit 305's on the car.

I suppose I can buy the Percy's Wheelrite and try and put a ture on that. Before I do that does anyone have any other advice?

Thank you

Sean - I have not read the whole thread but which size/offsets are your wheels? The reason I ask is that I have been down the MPSS fitment rabbit hole before with my wheels. As you probably know, the MPSS are an outlier in terms of actual mounted size - they run substantially fatter than other tires - and depending on your ride height and wheel specs, even a 305 might be too wide.

If you want to go look at wheel specs and compare, I have 20x10.5 ET45s at all 4 corners with MPSS 285/30/20XL front and 295/30/20XL rear and I am lowered about 1.5" on coilovers. Oh, and a 3mm spacer up front to clear the brakes so effectively my front offset is 42mm. I had the 305/30/20XLs rear and the 3/10" extra width caused rubbing at the top of my fender lip but, again, the MPSS run super wide.

VoodooBOSS said:
@AMPowerJ here's the sellers response below. You'll find out soon enough.

"The item we are selling is exactly as the image pictured in our listing.

Thank you for shopping with Steve White Motors.
josh"

@VoodooBOSS

I just got the socket and it does not fit. It is too large for the hole in the wheel with and without the protective sleeve. Somewhere along the way they made it larger than the one you have I guess.

AMPowerJ said:
@VoodooBOSS

I just got the socket and it does not fit. It is too large for the hole in the wheel with and without the protective sleeve. Somewhere along the way they made it larger than the one you have I guess.
Bummer. Which photo does it look like?

Anyone else have a source for a thin walled 13/16" socket that fits these wheels? @Need4SpeedMotors

Actually yes I bought a 5" 19mm socket for my R guys and tried it out and it works like a champ. I found it on ebay so I just need to get the name for you and I can provide that to everyone.

Re: Introducing "Project 6GR" Spun Forged wheels For S550 Mustang & GT350

Need4SpeedMotors said:
Actually yes I bought a 5" 19mm socket for my R guys and tried it out and it works like a champ. I found it on ebay so I just need to get the name for you and I can provide that to everyone.
I think the discussion was looking for a 21mm socket.

Yes. I have the Pittsburg pro from harbor freight and it does fit without the plastic sleeve.

04eb84a0411a4fa44180b468f0c3eecd.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel